The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question About Display Mode And Lag

Jaluvshuskies

Question

So I attempted to look around forums and I didn't really find my answer to this.

I play warframe on Fullscreen mode, which can be rather annoying when I alt-tab a lot.

What I'm trying to do, is keep my fps, but switch to windowed. When I do that, my fps drops by like half and they mouse delay is noticeable and super annoying.

So what I'm confused about is why fps and mouse delay changes so drastically when I switch from full screen to widowed, because when I ran BDO (Black Desert Online) Russia on widowed (or whatever the equivalent was, that made alt tabbing super easy), my frame rate was the same and very smooth. BDO is also more graphically intensive than Warframe, which is why I have no idea why this is happening.

I use a laptop plugged into a monitor and external keyboard (I close my laptop and put it to the side)

My laptop specs are:

- Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU @ 2.20GHz

- RAM: 8 GB

- Nvidia GeForce 950m

When I play warframe, everything is set to max and my fps is max as well, so it can't be a low graphics card issue. I would think it's a CPU issue (because it's i5, not i7) but it shouldn't be that bad, plus I can have BDO on max and alt tab super easily. And as far as how optimized warframe is, I think it's pretty well optimized so it can't be that either. I feel like it could be my settings, but I'm still not sure. 

I've tried both windowed and borderless fullscreen, and it's super laggy and there's a lot of mouse delay.

TLDR; I'm wondering why warframe is so laggy when I use a resolution *other* than fullscreen.

Any help would be appreciated~

Here's a picture of my display settings:

http://i.imgur.com/o4zALb4.jpg

9 answers to this question

Is your nvidia gpu set to warframe in the nvidia settings?

I have no idea, how do I do that? When I search nvidia on start menu, all I see is "nvidia control panel", do I change a setting in there somewhere?

ok so nevermind, I found out how to open NVIDIA GeForce Experience. What do I do now?

Under warframe, I made it so it said "game is optimized" and on the right it says "using optimal settings"

Edited by Jaluvshuskies

I'm no IT Professional but I'll do what I can,

if you right click your desktop you can see "Nvidia Control Panel"

click it and wait.

Go to "Manage 3d settings" and wait.

Under "select a program to customize" click "warframe.x64.exe" or "warframe.exe" (whichever one you use, how you know which one you use? I don't know so try both)

check that the preferred graphics processor is the NVIDIA GPU (it might say Auto-select: NVIDIA GPU)

tell me what setting it's on

Edited by Dumfing

when you are not full screen, the game does NOT have 100% control of the display adapter.   That means it has to share it with whatever your os is doing in the background.   I don't know winX but what this tells me is that like most windows versions, its eating into your resources and you are better off forcing windows to not have those resources (by going fullscreen)...  

This is absolutely normal on some systems.   It usually just means your video ram isn't capable enough to handle both the game AND the OS at the same time.  

I'm no IT Professional but I'll do what I can,

if you right click your desktop you can see "Nvidia Control Panel"

click it and wait.

Go to "Manage 3d settings" and wait.

Under "select a program to customize" click "warframe.x64.exe" or "warframe.exe" (whichever one you use, how you know which one you use? I don't know so try both)

check that the preferred graphics processor is the NVIDIA GPU (it might say Auto-select: NVIDIA GPU)

tell me what setting it's on

Alright I did that. I picked warframe.exe (I use the steam version so I guess that's what I should pick?)

And here's what my settings are at now:

http://i.imgur.com/yrYnhv4.jpg

any changes in results?

I tried borderless fullscreen and lowered a few settings to medium, and in my ship I'm floating between 50-60 fps (usually like 200 lol)

I can alt tab easily now, the quality is super sharp and crisp, but my only complaint is the fps which I'm not sure I can do anything about, because it's probably either the fact that I'm using a laptop that's plugged into a monitor, or I have core i5 instead of i7.

Thanks Dunfing! Any advice on which settings I should turn off or low that I don't notice (in-game)?