The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Someone Explain Fraction Weakness Or Resistance?

FallingHeaven

Question

I tried wikia, can't understand. Not sure what those +/- ?% really mean. And it seems for any fraction, the weakness/resistance is not even consistent.

What is the general idea here? I really need to understand this because all my weapons are weak, except those that have high stats to begin with.

Thanks

13 answers to this question

It has to do with the enemies health type. Corpus for example generally run around with Flesh, covered by shiel or Proto shield. The flesh is vulnerable to slash, fire and toxin. (Toxin even bypasses the shield!) while the Shield/Proto shield is vulnerable to Magnetic and Impact.

Edited by (PS4)nysudyrgh

The way damage works against different factions is alot more deep than one might think at a glance. Here's the basics.

Grineer: Puncture is generally better than Slash because armor negates Slash damage to a degree. From basic elementals, Heat is decent. From combined elements, I use Corrosive because of that 25% armor reduction on status proc.

Corpus: Impact is good for stripping off their shields but offers little bonus otherwise. From elementals, Electricity deals nice damage in addition to stunning them.

Infestation: Slash + Heat, and little bit of Puncture/Corrosive for the Mutalist mobs.

+ 25%  means 125% of the shown value.

-25% means 75% of the shown value. 

100% being the shown value, you add or subtract depending on if the mob is weak to it (adds) or strong against it (subtracts).

grineer,  puncture works on everything worth talking about (the no armor melee guys don't matter anyway), corrosive works on 90% of them, and radiation works on the other 10%.   That is why you have a secondary... you can make a full radiation secondary for the tough guys and corrosive for the rest. 

corpus,  cold, magnetic, toxic for the humans, blast for the robots. 

infested you can kill up to a pretty high level with nothing but a gas'n'slash on a fast swinging melee.   Higher levels gas'n'slash still works but youll want a second weapon again to handle armored guys, you can do gas/slash/cold or carry a backup that is corrosive/cold/puncture

void is a mix of everything, so you need some general purpose weapons.  Everyone has their own favorite mix here, but you do what you can.

And it seems for any fraction, the weakness/resistance is not even consistent.

That's because different enemies have different health types, each with its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

For example, some Grineer have Ferrite Armor covering their Cloned Flesh (so Corrosive and Viral damage are incredibly effective, with Radiation being weaker), whereas most other Grineer have Alloy Armor covering their Cloned Flesh (so Radiation and Viral damage are incredibly effective, with Corrosive being weaker).

For a more obvious example, a Corpus Crewman's health will be weaker to Slash and Toxin damage since that's a live, fleshy human you're attacking; whereas a Corpus MOA's health will be weaker to Electricity since it's a robot. Both of them will have Shields on top of their health, which are very weak to Impact and Magnetic.

Edited by SortaRandom

Don't worry about the specifics just yet until you get more experienced in the game.   The best thing you can do is mod for taking out heavy units for each faction because chances are the amount of damage it takes to kill them will be more  than enough to kill medium and light units even if you are using a damage type they are resistant to.  

Later on when you start getting into the higher, more difficult missions where carrying multiple damage types may be needed, you will have gradually learned which damage combo's to bring verse each faction.

Edited by Krymanol

I tried wikia, can't understand. Not sure what those +/- ?% really mean. And it seems for any fraction, the weakness/resistance is not even consistent.

What is the general idea here? I really need to understand this because all my weapons are weak, except those that have high stats to begin with.

Thanks

Grineer: Best damage type (puncture), best elemental combo (corrosive)

Corpus: Best damage type (impact), best elemental combo (magnetic)

Robots: Best damage type (puncture), best elemental combo (radiation, or just use electric)

Infested: Best damage type (slash), best elemental combo (gas)

Corrosive = electric + toxin

Magnetic = cold + electric

Radiation = fire + electric

Gas = fire + toxin.

Good luck! ^.^

Grineer: best elemental combo (corrosive)

Just pointing out, Radiation is also very nice to have against Grineer depending on what enemies you like to prioritize.

If you think Heavy Gunners are the most dangerous, and you'd like to kill Troopers/Scorches/Scorpions a bit faster, go Corrosive.

If you think Bombards/Napalms are the most dangerous, and you'd like to kill Elite Lancers a bit faster, go Radiation.

Either is perfectly viable against both Grineer and Corrupted.

Edited by SortaRandom

Just pointing out, Radiation is also very nice to have against Grineer depending on what enemies you like to prioritize.

If you think Heavy Gunners are the most dangerous, and you'd like to kill Troopers/Scorches/Scorpions a bit faster, go Corrosive.

If you think Bombards/Napalms are the most dangerous, and you'd like to kill Elite Lancers a bit faster, go Radiation.

Either is perfectly viable against both Grineer and Corrupted.

Also Radiations confusion effect is just fun. I've not bothered with it against Grineer (I usually go with Corpus for that) But I will 100% try it now because if this works just as well. Survivals are gonna be much more fun.