The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Viral Proc + Slash Proc = The True Meta?

(PSN)MikeCopa

Question

Hey there Tenno,
not really sure how to name this thread, I'm actually looking for some clarification on this topic.
Alright, for some of you this might be old news but I've never actually looked into it until I recently saw a video from someone

claiming that the Galatine is the definitive melee weapon, easily outperforming others like the War.

Here's why: The Galatine has a Status chance of 20% and most of it's damage comes from slash.
He's modding it for viral with two 60% elemental + status mods and uses Buzz Kill to amp up the slash damage.
The entire build relies on viral procs halving the enemies health (ignoring armor) and the slash procs going straight
for the enemies health (also right through their armor), thereby ignoring scaling issues in the Void.

I can't test any of this right now, that's why I'm here. It sounds plausible to me but does it really work that way?
Would a build likes this really ignore enemy armor (by procing) and kill them quicker than a corrosive build would?
I'm only asking because I got used to everyone talking about how corrosive + heat is the way to go and how procs are bad...

EDIT: Typo

Edited by (PS4)MikeCopa

8 answers to this question

He didn't mention a team having 4 Corrosive Projection Auras? Using that he'd end up with having to only worry about enemy shields getting in the way of hitting flesh

That aside, the build does seem interesting, though 110% status duration =/= 110% more damage output as you're proccing puncture and impact as well, though not as often as bleed, and also considering that Viral DOES NOT stack, but merely refreshes its timer when you proc it on a target already affected by it.

With the new PC event mods, I'd probably try Weeping Wounds + Body Count instead of Lasting Sting as +120% status chance every time your combo multiplier increases when you already have 44% status chance from using event mods means you'd get a 68% status chance at 1.5x, and then 92% at 2x, and 116% at 2.5x and body count will keep that combo counter up for a solid 12 seconds, the timer refreshing with every hit you land which means your damage will increase with it so as your proc rate goes up, so does your overall damage

HOWEVER you have to consider the same with War with a crit build utilizing Body Count and Blood Rush, which increases Crit Chance by165% at max rank each time the combo multiplier increases, letting War land crits all day with a 19% red crit chance at 2.5x and a 52% red crit chance at 3x. considering the standard crit multiplier with organ shatter is 3.8 the red crit multiplier would be 6.6x and let's not forget the damage increases from the damage multipliers itself as well

It does work like that, yet, i fail to see why the "need" for slash.

Enemy scalling is not only armor, is also health, still, removing 50% with Viral is nice, but you won't hit that hard with Slash to be "effective".

My War still outperforms my Galatine. And ATM i have Status chance build with the new melee mods.

With Weeping Wound you get easily 80%+ status chance. So the benefict from Galatine higher statusis lost.

With War Higher critical rate and Blood Rush you achieve Red Crit sooner, something that would take much longer to achieve with Galatine.

And no, the Impact damage "problem" is not a problem at all, at higher end content, you need more suvivability than damage (something that with this build won't be a issue though), and the impact proc will save you more than you care to admit (knockback).

Since i've picked up War, i never looked back to Galantine

Edited by Endrance

It does work like that, yet, i fail to see why the "need" for slash.

Enemy scalling is not only armor, is also health, still, removing 50% with Viral is nice, but you won't hit that hard with Slash to be "effective".

His point is:

Viral proc halves the enemies health.

Now he still has tons of armor but only half the health beneath it.

We're going to ignore the armor because the slash procs directly damage his health.

He also recommends Lasting Sting because with this build we kill our enemies by procing status on them and Lasting Sting gives us 110% more status duration which (in this sense) kind of equals 110% more damage output.

HOWEVER you have to consider the same with War with a crit build utilizing Body Count and Blood Rush, which increases Crit Chance by165% at max rank each time the combo multiplier increases, letting War land crits all day with a 19% red crit chance at 2.5x and a 52% red crit chance at 3x. considering the standard crit multiplier with organ shatter is 3.8 the red crit multiplier would be 6.6x and let's not forget the damage increases from the damage multipliers itself as well

Yeah, his video predates the new event mods which arguably open up a lot more possibilities for melee weapons.

I'm wondering though, War and the Galatine have the same status chance but even though War has a higher base damage, most of it is impact. The wiki says the more damage an individual physical damage type does, the likelier it is to proc, i.e. War would proc impact most of the time, defeating the point of the build.

However the crit build you mentioned sounds really tempting.

Edited by (PS4)MikeCopa

Yeah, his video predates the new event mods which arguably open up a lot more possibilities for melee weapons.

I'm wondering though, War and the Galatine have the same status chance but even though War has a higher base damage, most of it is impact. The wiki says the more damage an individual physical damage type does, the likelier it is to proc, i.e. War would proc impact most of the time, defeating the point of the build.

However the crit build you mentioned sounds really tempting.

you should also consider impact is more of a utility thing too that can stagger iirc, meaning whatever you hit won't have much chance to hit you...assuming they haven't been utterly decimated by the swing....