The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Game Crashes Nvidia Display Driver (January 2016)

KilluaKill

Nvidia display driver keeps crashing and recovering (TDR) while playing Warframe. It happens randomly (I think) first the driver stops working and after that it recovers normally and Warframe is still receiving input.

My specs:

(Windows 10)

FX 8350 (no OC)

M5A99FX PRO 2.0

16 GB RAM Kingston 1866 MHz

Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB

EVGA GTX 970 (Currently 361.75 aka latest drivers)

What I'm sure about:

-It is not the temperature

-Not Google Chrome 

-Not the PSU

-It is TDR, I can confirm because the event viewer shows so

I tried the following:

-Various versions of the driver

-Downclocking/Undervolting the GPU

-Disabling PhysX

-Enabling Fullscreen

-Compatibility mode 

-Clean installation of DirectX

-Lowering settings

Any ideas?

PS: I can't get a WAR :(

Edited by KilluaKill

well I've had 2 video Driver crashes since the latest nvidia drivers as well. Once the drivers recovered and I kept playing no issues the other it totaly crashed my pc and I had to restart.

I have:

i5-4690k

GTX 970 4gb

16gb ram

Windows 10 pro 64bit

I'm fairly sure its just a nvidia driver issue and not warframe, if you still get the issue after updating to a newer driver then something is up

Come to think of it, if you had a older driver for your video card that was working fine, I would just re download that driver and revert back to that, until there is a newer driver that fixes your issue. I've had to do this before for TF2 back in the day.

well I've had 2 video Driver crashes since the latest nvidia drivers as well. Once the drivers recovered and I kept playing no issues the other it totaly crashed my pc and I had to restart.

I have:

i5-4690k

GTX 970 4gb

16gb ram

Windows 10 pro 64bit

I'm fairly sure its just a nvidia driver issue and not warframe, if you still get the issue after updating to a newer driver then something is up

Come to think of it, if you had a older driver for your video card that was working fine, I would just re download that driver and revert back to that, until there is a newer driver that fixes your issue. I've had to do this before for TF2 back in the day.

I will try a previous version (again), I hope this works :(

I would encourage everyone having this issue to open support tickets with DE. They will walk you through a number of stress tests, and collect a variety of data along the way. They may find your issue among this data, but if they do not, as was the case for me, at least its another unresolved Nvidia driver issue brought to their attention. We need to encourage DE to investigate this issue, and the best way to do that is to make sure they are made fully aware that it is happening. Posting to the forums is one thing, but I doubt these cases are read often, especially if they do not make it to the top of the list, but support cases are much more likely m

- snip -

This is definitely getting weird because you have tried so mny different things to solve the issue in player helping players

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/601235-warframe-stopped-working-nvidia-36143/

Btw. did you unpark the cores?

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/289244-framerate-drops-high-cpu-loads-cpu-overheating-this-might-fix-it-cpu-core-unparking/

Please check also the announcement made by nVidia regarding Rise of the Tomb Raider drivers:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/912985/geforce-drivers/official-361-75-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-1-27-16-/

and while you are in there, submit your experiences you had with the drivers to their forums. Other people are having issues with the driver.

As you are on submitting support tickets why not submit a bug report or tech support ticket directly to nVidia?

Here is copy-paste from another post I wrote:

support|nvidia:

Customer Feedback

If you believe that your issue is due to a problem with the driver and you are able to reliably reproduce the issue, CLICK HERE to submit a bug report. Your feedback will help us ensure that we resolve as many issues as possible with our future driver releases. Please note that this link is for bug submissions only and you will not get a response unless we need additional information. If you looking for technical support to resolve an issue, please CLICK HERE.

The latest issue I had with Warframe was GeForce Share overlay causing a crash to Warframe and it was fixed by nVidia in couple weeks with a hotfix. Other problem was with GameReady drivers which caused BSOD's when launching Warframe. It also was fixed with unofficial hotfix by nVidia and later with a new WHQL driver. For different unofficial hotfixes, they release them in their customer service site and they provide a link in forums.

For example this: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3832/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-361.60

Edited by carnaga