Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Achievement Hunter Play Warframe?

Magneu

So I was watching the Off-Topic podcast #9 (absolutely hilarious show IMO), when Geoff mentioned that AH was going to do a F2P themed week of Let's Plays. Being the loyal Tenno I am, I immediately thought of Warframe.

Here's where it gets tricky. As we know, AH generally doesn't catch onto more complex game mechanics over the course of a video (possibly mitigated by practicing before recording?), and Warframe is LOADED with complex mechanics. In addition, Warframe has a lot of higher level, more complex stuff you unlock farther in the game, along with more game modes than can fit into a 30-50 minute, unedited video. Warframe falls into the MMO/RPG category, while also being a TPS; not very easy to pick up, but AH had a successful run of Destiny videos, which is arguably more RNG-grindy than Warframe.

On top of that, I'm not sure that a Defense mission or such would make for a good video; maybe a couple Exterminates on various maps vs all factions, a Void mission to wow em, Derelict to creep em out, and special missions like Spy? 

Overall, I feel like a positive video of Warframe could bring a lot of new players into the game, but I'm worried that the older group (namely Geoff and Jack) would berate the game for a myriad of reasons (most likely due to not understanding mechanics of weapons, frames, maps, enemies, etc) that you only understand through hours of gameplay.

Maybe DE could get in touch and set them up with some mid-level accounts, help them choose a frame they like based on gameplay preference (would need a VERY in-depth explanation of how to fully play the frame) with suitable mods (again, would require a full explanation of how mods influence powers/weapons; maybe have an experienced player/staff member either on voice chat in mission or in there in person to answer questions?), weapons fitting of said frames playstyle/weapons they think look fun, choice of companions, full choice to pick several syandanas/armor sets/helmets/sigils, and several of the essential color palettes unlocked to aid customization.

For obvious reasons, doing a Let's Play on a fresh account would be...bad. On the same token, a Let's Play with a fully kitted out, MR21 account would also be a disaster. I'm imagining some basic, level 20-40 range stuff, with a harder mission or two (maybe a Lephantis fight, with an Archwing stage to round stuff off?)

I'm trying to balance out good exposure vs uninformed criticism, but I'm also thinking, "any press is good press", right?

Anyone else every think AH should maybe do a Let's Play of Warframe?

Leave the reviews to the people who can invest much more time into the game. Sometimes mainstream attention is not what a game needs.

Well, like I mentioned, they've gone very far in Destiny (they seem to love that game), which requires a large investment of time. I mentioned  DE hooking them up with some goodies with the disclaimer of the items being either plat only (and that plat can be acquired via trading/discounts) or acquired via farm may help assuage the "P2W!!!" crowd in comments.

In my mind, I see a well done video that gives Warframe good press, but it also scares me that the younger demographic of AH fans could join Warframe, and that's where it goes bad.

Well, like I mentioned, they've gone very far in Destiny (they seem to love that game), which requires a large investment of time. I mentioned  DE hooking them up with some goodies with the disclaimer of the items being either plat only (and that plat can be acquired via trading/discounts) or acquired via farm may help assuage the "P2W!!!" crowd in comments.

In my mind, I see a well done video that gives Warframe good press, but it also scares me that the younger demographic of AH fans could join Warframe, and that's where it goes bad.

There are quite a few nice younger players in the game... but I can agree that the WF community might become a lot more toxic if (no offense intended at all) the younger, and especially more annoying category of kids discovers WF.

No, because all of this (my thoughts exactly):

It may potentially add more salt and force many players who don't want to try the game for themselves off Warframe.

Leave the reviews to the people who can invest much more time into the game. Sometimes mainstream attention is not what a game needs.

Everybody would start spamming "This game is pay to win" in the comment section without even realizing what Warframe really is. I'd prefer if they take their time to play and understand the game before making a let's play.

There are quite a few nice younger players in the game... but I can agree that the WF community might become a lot more toxic if (no offense intended at all) the younger, and especially more annoying category of kids discovers WF.