The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is A 100% Crit Chance Really 100%?

(XBOX)ItsACrustacean

Question

So I recently acquired Dread (which is awesome BTW) and, using a max rank point strike, I was able to increase it's crit chance to a whopping 125%. Now, I thought this would mean that every shot would count as a crit, with 25% being red crits. However, I still occasionally get grey, non-crit numbers. 

It doesn't happen that often at all, but in true RNG fashion, it tends to happen more when I'm being stealthy, and nothing is quite as annoying as releasing an arrow at an unalerted enemy expecting a massive crit only to see a little grey number pop up.

I remember hearing how in XCOM, a shot that says it has a 100% chance of hitting can still miss due to rounding and was wondering if my Dread was doing something similar. Or is it just a quirk of the game, that there is no such thing as true 100% crit chance? Or maybe a bug?

Obviously, if it's a quirk of the game, or due to rounding, or even a bug, I can't really do much about it, but my other theory is that it might have something to do with enemy stats, like armour or something. And if that's the case, I can be more selective with who I target.

I don't know. But any information would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and in case it is a bug (though I highly doubt it is), I'm an Xbox tenno.

4 answers to this question

It's 100%. Grey numbers will come from objects you damage however, since objects can't be critically. Arctic Eximi bubbles for instance will show grey numbers, as will containers and cover.

If that doesn't correlate to what you've seen ingame, and you're actually seeing grey numbers when hitting enemies, then I have no idea. Must be a bug.

Or perhaps your Point Strike has de-equipped itself? Stranger things have happened.

Oh... yeah. Totally forgot about Charging it fully. Good call Hemmo67.

Edited by DeMonkey

Snapshots with bows have halved crit numbers. The UI only shows the fully charged crit chance.

with bows even if u have 100% or above crit chance if u forgot to fully charge the arrow u can with small chance get non critical hit. so always when using bow to fully charge it :)

That must be it. Thanks. I'll make sure to fully charge before sending an arrow off.