The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Should I Buy?

(XBOX)DryItchyWilly

Question

10 answers to this question

first thing to buy are frame and weapon slots.  

After that,  I personally bought some of the really annoying to farm frames -- ivara  being worth every penny, as an example.

After picking up whatever from the store, have some left over to buy from players a few of the top items.

And finally,  while you can get forma in game,  early on buying enough to uberify one frame and one primary weapon is really useful, allowing you to do higher end content (choose wisely) sooner to farm better stuff sooner etc.  

Also, a warning ... paying to win can be a good way around a tedious grind but if you over-do it, you lose sight of earning things.  If you get any sense of accomplishment from earning your way,  don't spend too much and bypass half the game in the first week.

It should first be clearly stated that nothing requires you to spend money.

Almost everything is available in-game and the cosmetics that are not, can be acquired by trading items to players in exchange for the premium currency (platinum) and then using the platinum you traded for to buy them. The only exception that takes real money AFAIK are the steam workshop items, which are also 100% cosmetic, but you could probably use the same logic to say you could sell your steam items on the steam market to get thoses, depending on how many other steam games you play.

Second, login rewards can give you coupons.

Buying platinum at full price is not usually a good idea. You will occasionally get 50% and even 75% off coupons as random login rewards. This will let you get lots of platinum for a lot less money by buying the higher tier packs.

Prime Access is a thing.

https://warframe.com/prime-access

These packs give plat roughly equivalent to a 50% off coupon, plus items. The gear items are available in-game but are somewhat rare and always brand new (released into the game at the same time as the Prime Access pack goes up) but the cosmetic items are exclusive to the prime access packs.

The one for Trinity Prime is almost over. I believe Teusday or Wednesday is the last day for her. The next one will be Saryn Prime with Nikana Prime(Katana) and Spira Prime (throwing daggers). Not sure about the cosmetics yet.

STEAM packs are a thing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/

I'm not sure what the value is like on these for an established player who already has most mods, but they're currently on sale 50% off and include lots of "stuff" that a brand new player will be happy to get early.

Edited by VKhaun

Welcome to Warframe!

Buy slots and maybe cosmetics if you like to play Pretty Dress Up Princess Ninja.  With a few exceptions, don't buy premade weapons and frames with plats.  You can farm most of the frames fairly easily in game and you can buy many of the weapons blueprints in the market. I also recommend don't use your plats to speed up builds in the foundry. 

As for weapons, I suggest start with Karak and Boltor.  Once you hit MR4, try the shotgun Hek with Syndicate mod Scattered Justice (I know, it's not assault weapon but it's powerful enough to get you far in the star chart).  When you hit MR6, try Soma.  Since you like Excalibur and melee weapons, I recommend getting Rhino and/or Valkyr for your next frame.  Volt (Clan tech so no farming necessary if you join a good clan) can also be build for more melee action if you use his speed ability.

I don't mind spending money on a decent game. I actually like it when a game has in game transactions. I also don't mind being overpowered in the first stages of the game. I'm not really playing for the challenge. I'm playing for the pow pow vroom pssshhhh kaboooom.

I wish I had a good enough computer to run it in steam

I don't mind spending money on a decent game. I actually like it when a game has in game transactions. I also don't mind being overpowered in the first stages of the game. I'm not really playing for the challenge. I'm playing for the pow pow vroom pssshhhh kaboooom.

I wish I had a good enough computer to run it in steam

Oh right, console. No STEAM packs...

I'd probably hold it until I got a login reward then TBH.

I see XBox "Prestige Packs" pop up on announcements but they always look "meh".

Prime Access is pretty good as you get a bunch of plat, gear, and boosters that will help you off when you start. Idk how $140 Aus translates into US dollars, but it might be enough. I want to recommend waiting for 1-2 weeks for the next Prime Access though if you are planning to get it.