The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bows Vs. Snipers

Aezryn

Question

So I've recently got kinda bored of my Amprex because it just kind of kills whole rooms with not much effort and I decided to go back to using bows for my primary which is what I used for a really long time before the Amprex (both before and after bow buffs) but with a variety of buffs that have happened to snipers and the new mods from the recent event I was taking a look at Sniper Rifles again but I'm not really sure how they compare. so:

1) Pros and Cons of Bows vs. Snipers

2) Since I don't just have all the snipers ready built I'd appreciate someone who can tell me what the good Snipers are and the differences between them because the wiki doesn't really help me see beyond stats >.> 

14 answers to this question

To answer your first question : 

Bows in general : Very good DPS, good accuracy, better aim versatility

Snipers in general : One shot per time, great accuracy at range, scope field may hinder in hordes of enemies

I have to sadly sad that Snipers now (even after the buff) are still underwhelming when compared to Bows, especially when fighting groups of enemies.

So definitely take Bows over Snipers at anytime, given that I'm both a Bow & Sniper enthusiast and played both a lot.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

About the second question : 

For Bows, Dread / Rakta Cernos / Paris Prime are good choices.

For snipers, Lanka / Rubico / Vectis(Prime) / Vulkar Wraith.

Edited by SpryCrow

By "bows" I am assuming we're talking about the endgame options: Paris Prime, Dread, and Rakta Cernos.

Bows

+ Silent

+ Very high crit chance for reliable hits

+ Free punchthrough

+ Lack of optics means fast target acquisition and good situational awareness

+ No magazine, reload time between shots is a fraction of a second

- Projectile based, requires ballistic prediction

- Charge time

Sniper rifles

+ Extreme damage potential

+ Combo mechanic for even better performance

+ Hitscan (except Lanka) means no prediction necessary

+ High zoom for long practical range

- Pathetic magazine size and reload performance

- High zoom is a drawback at short range

If you want an all-around weapon, bow.  If you want a dedicated long-range-only weapon and you plan to back it up with ability spam or strong melee, then sniper rifle.

As far as I can tell snipers are just novelty weapons still.

On paper you might be able to argue some kind of performance gains or something if you assume some amount of combo going on, but even if they were all automatic one hit kill guns all the time... I've never had a problem killing stuff with bows that would lead me to try and deal with their small mags and forced zoom for bonuses...

Thanks for the responses. The forced zoom and lack of short range is a concern of mine but I plan to combo it with a strong melee/secondary/abilities to make up for that. It then just seems the problem is their mag size and ability to deal with crowds so I might end up sticking with bows but I just got the Rubico built so might give it a try at least.

Sniper weapons are viable if you can create the necessary range needed to use the scope. Even in some tight tile sets they are useful, you just need to be creative in placing yourself far enough to use the scope. 

Utilizing an electric proc can help with crowds if you can get the status chance up high enough.

The other option is to quick scope.  A good trick to remember is that you can change the scope zoom even without being scoped in. So if you keep track of which zoom you were in last, it's easy to set it while you have your full peripheral vision to acquire your target, then quick scope in for a split second to take advantage of the zoom damage bonus.

Edited by (XB1)Sacrfishal Lamb

I'm not sure if this is 100% but the hip fire for snipers seems to be more accurate while moving but then again I'm using the Lanka and it might just be that sniper

EDIT: also I don't think you need to zoomed for sniper scope buffs to work I have gotten red crits with Lanka with a hip fire not sure if it's a bug or not tho but I think depending on zoom your determines what your hip fire buff is also I don't use argon scope so that wasn't the reason for the red crit

Edited by Bloodskll

Yes you can red crit without the scope, but your hipfire red crit damage will be significantly smaller (in damage) than a red crit using the scope. The whole point of using the scope (in addition to hitting targets at range) is to multiply the base damage. 

You are right but in a situation where I'm hip firing in the first place means I'm trying to get out of trouble and keeping my scope for that would not be beneficial to me till I can get back to a safe spot and continue my sniping as usual

The Vulkar series is an exception. Its 2.5x zoom is similar to other normal gun's zoom, so not only it is good for close-mid range situation, but also having 6x and 10x zoom for long range combat. Hipfire is unnecessary for this gun.

The only drawback of this gun is lower damage per shot than other sniper, but the low recoil and huge magazine effectively eliminate this problem. If they doesn't die in one shot, shoot more.

Work wells in Sortie 3, even with Physical enhancement.

You are right but in a situation where I'm hip firing in the first place means I'm trying to get out of trouble and keeping my scope for that would not be beneficial to me till I can get back to a safe spot and continue my sniping as usual

Well at that point you are just better off switching to your secondary or even your melee weapon, because both will do more damage than you hip-firing a sniper rifle, especially a Lanka with that charge to fire mechanic.

Well at that point you are just better off switching to your secondary or even your melee weapon, because both will do more damage than you hip-firing a sniper rifle, especially a Lanka with that charge to fire mechanic.

this is true but I run it with vile acceleration and speed trigger so its charge is .6 which isn't bad and I run redeemer as melee for crowds and ivara as frame for this combo and this go back to OP bows are def more versatile I feel right now snipers are in a weird spot. Snipers are a lot better then they used to be but only viable on certain frames but still need an extra push to be usuable I feel like theyre a lot closer to the point just not quite there.

Hopefully the new star chart might have bigger tile sets intergrated this would really help things but for now go for a bow itll feel less clunky and is a better investment if you find later you would still like to try snipers after you've reach a happy power level go ahead.

The Vulkar series is an exception. Its 2.5x zoom is similar to other normal gun's zoom, so not only it is good for close-mid range situation, but also having 6x and 10x zoom for long range combat. Hipfire is unnecessary for this gun.

The only drawback of this gun is lower damage per shot than other sniper, but the low recoil and huge magazine effectively eliminate this problem. If they doesn't die in one shot, shoot more.

Work wells in Sortie 3, even with Physical enhancement.

This is an interesting point, I might give the Vulkar a try since if thats the case since that would make it a lot more versatile.

Sniper weapons are viable if you can create the necessary range needed to use the scope. Even in some tight tile sets they are useful, you just need to be creative in placing yourself far enough to use the scope. 

Utilizing an electric proc can help with crowds if you can get the status chance up high enough.

The other option is to quick scope.  A good trick to remember is that you can change the scope zoom even without being scoped in. So if you keep track of which zoom you were in last, it's easy to set it while you have your full peripheral vision 

The positioning aspect is what actually made me curious in the first place, I've recently been playing Nezha a lot and with his insane movement capabilities its really easy to position wherever I want to be. Might mess around with the status chance to see if it can help with crowds and I noticed the quick scope which is a handy ability but not quite used to it yet.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

bows vs sniper

similarities

1. both of them one shot

2. both of them has slow hit rate

(they are not machine gun)

good thing bow is better

1. punch through

2. some is syndicate weapon

3. speed trigger now make drawing bow damn fast

good thing about sniper

1. higher damage ( chamber shot) and no need to put speed trigger

2. extra zoom

3. the bullet doesnt arch ( straight shot)

but the extra zoom can be a hassle sometimes

and bow damage after modding is higher

so if you want easy life go sniper. xd