The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[New Player Help] Progression Question - Mastery Vs Star Map?

archfrank

Question

Greetings everyone!

I have been playing for about two weeks now, and starting to come to a bit of a dilemma when it comes to progressing towards the higher tiers of the game:

So far I have been farming affinity for a variety of weapons, trying to rank up my mastery (currently MR4) and have unlocked a few decent early game items and a few new frames (mag starter maxed and potatoed, valkyr, nyx and oberon crafted - just not leveled or potatoed yet). Now I am at the point where I am wondering if it is worthwhile to keep on farming to get better mods and eventually unlock primaries like the soma, or just build an early game kit, potato and mod it as best as I can, and go through the star map missions.

The former seems like a bit of a grind while I am uncertain about the difficulty of the latter. Could any experienced players give me some insight on what would be the wise decision here?

PS: Sorry if this has already been answered, I have been browsing reddit, this forum and youtube for the better of this week and I have not found a direct answer to this question.

PSS: Also if anyone could point me to a place where I can reliably farm hornet strike while we're at it, it would be highly appreciated :P

Thanks in advance!

3 answers to this question

Do your best to rank up items while unlocking the star chart. A good rule of thumb is to keep one rank 30 gun on you while trying to rank up other gear. Don't break yourself funding all your credits into mastery fodder. Find a decent pace to level weapons and frames.

Be stingy with your potatos and platinum! Only use them when you are absolutely positively sure you should use them. In the end they're yours though, so do whatever you like with them. :3

I have a blog I've been keeping ranking up a second account reviewing new player experience. It's not the best guide out there, but it's mine if you're interested in reading it:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/579673-daftmeats-daring-do-over-2nd-account-from-scratch-minimal-cheating/

I also recommend TacticalPotato on YouTube. He also started a new player guide series of videos that is very helpful.

Welcome, Tenno! Happy gaming!

Personally, I'd advocate for working on unlocking the star-chart, that way you don't have to ask for taxis, can always do any alert/mission, can farm any frame you want, and it gives a bit of affinity for completing the star chart anyways. Opening up all the nods gives you more access to enemies, so you can get the mods you need easier.

Hornet strike comes from several infested enemies as well as survival, defense, and spy missions. So watch out for infested invasions, or go to Eris, or do Orokin Derelict missions.

Not so experienced and everything (MR 10 yay) but...

Do what you find fun. :-) It is the best way.

For me most limiting factors ware:

a) lack of weapon and frame slots, since i wanna catch them all, could be solved by occasional plat purchase or farming rare parts in void

b) lack of potatoes, this things comes from alerts, events, invassions so just stay tuned

c) rare resources, destilating collectors and unlocing planets like Earth, Jupiter, Eris a bit fix most critical one (nurodes, sensors, plastids)

Here are some tips:

a) More warframes, sometimes right frame for the job is better. Frost, Rhino, Saryn/Ember, Trinity, Nova, Volt, Loki. Has a potencial to shinne in a specific types of mission.

b) Get better weapons if your present are soso. Joining big clan can help in getting stuff like dual ichors.

c) join syndicate and put the sigil on your frame. You will get free standing daily by just doing your things, and occasionally could buy more void keys.

d) mix different activities. How long can you run void before being fed up?

e) story missions, are somehow fun, and offer more free stuff

f) have access to all nodes so you dont need the taxi when event pop up, dont need to do all, just enought to have access to all

The closes thing to endgame in warframe seems to be sorties. So aim to be ready to do them, and after that you can officially do anything in warframes.

Doing starmap is generally good, not only for event access, but to increase player skill in natural way. Have problem with Greineer -> craft greineers punchers. Strugging with Spy mission -> learning all setups, getting some Shade and Loki. And so on.

Edited by felixsylvaris