Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Full Size Car Suggestions?

VKhaun

(TL;DR)

Been driving a Smart ForTwo for about six years.

It's a little champion. I'm just tired of it and it's bumpy ride, slow transmission, slow acceleration and no cargo space. I knew about these drawbacks going in and I don't hold them against the car. It still runs like a champ and it's still low cost and spacious for the driver, though I have taken no pride in the cheap interior choices I made when I got it so it's pretty nasty after six years of carelessness.

I miss the floaty, powerful Grand Marquis I had before this but I'm disappointed to find that it and all variations have been discontinued since 2012 and I do not miss all the problems I had with my old pre-owned Grand Marquis...

(/TL;DR)

So what's a good full size car these days?

Don't care about gadgets and after six years in a ForTwo anything with more than three cylinders is going to feel like a goddam rocket ship so I'm not even that worried about engine performance, just a nice ride and a big open interior.

Edited by VKhaun

Depends really. if you like those crapped little things than for a small 2 seater. I can't imagine my 6 foot 7 but fitting into one of those. 

A basic Chevrolet,  Nissan, or Toyota would be good for you.

Edited by xxcib21xx

I really enjoy my 2014 VW Jetta. For an absolute base model, it's very spacious considering it seats 5, quiet on the inside, and its 1.8L gasoline 4 cylinder has formidable mileage with conscientious driving getting me between 36 and 55 mpg highway depending on speed. I got mine for $15k USD.

My mom drives a Nissan Sentra. It's a bit more touchy in terms of throttle control and a has slightly less sound proofing but it's also a comfortable ride. Not sure how much she got it for.

Depends really. if you like those crapped little things than for a small 2 seater. I can't imagine my 6 foot 7 but fitting into one of those. 

A basic Chevrolet,  Nissan, or Toyota would be good for you.

I'm 6'3" and the Smart ForTwo was very nice. It's why I bought it rather than other small cheap cars like the Honda Fit. You should sit in one because it will really surprise you.

You can't say what is best without a price range.

You're right, and my previous post was made in error. I'm at work and some work stuff came up suddenly. I'm looking at new cars below $50,000. I'd like to go real low like below $30,000 but I'm not averse to leasing or waiting longer with the ForTwo to save up a down payment.

After looking around, it appears the industry has created it's own range from $25,000 - $35,000.

For the most part it seems like there's a big gap between 30 and 60 inhabited by cars that aren't actually any bigger on the inside. I looked up all the major full size sedans I could find up to starting MSRP 50,000 but when I got the numbers off edmunds for interior room I quickly started crossing off all the expensive ones as smaller or the same and more expensive.

First stop is probably going to be to check out a Ford Taurus in person.

Head Room / Hip Room / Starting price

40.0 / 56.3 / 32,000 Kia Cadenza
39.0 / 56.3 / 27,000 Ford Taurus

38.6 / 56.2 / 32,000 Chrysler 300
38.6 / 56.2 / 28,000 Dodge Charger

39.1 / 55.6 / 23,000 Honda Accord LX
40.4 / 55.3 / 21,000 Hyundai Sonata
38.0 / 55.2 / 31,000 Buick LaCrosse

39.9 / 54.9 / 27,000 Chevy Impala
40.0 / 54.0 / 22,500 Nissan Altima