Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thinking of building a PC.

LordOfScrugging

So my laptop i've been playing warframe on for 3 years is pretty bad. it's struggling to play some games, warframe (with it's constant graphical updates) is one of them. I decided i should start saving to build a PC but don't know where to start looking for the components. I'm looking for recommendations on components so i know what are good parts to buy and so i can somewhat gauge how much i'd have to save up in order to purchase the parts.

6 minutes ago, RevivedEdgeLord said:

What's your budget?

Try looking at Newegg, or NCIX if you live in north america (they have good discounts). Otherwise your local craigslist for used parts. Keep in mind the shipping cost.

I don't have a budget as of yet. i'm just trying to see what some recommendations (like which graphics card would be great, or a good type of motherboard, etc.) would be and try to formulate a budget after that.

Edited by LordOfScrugging

Here's one for just over $500 USD. Which should run newer games just fine. Operating system not included. The price came up as CAD for me, $691.91 CAD -> 501.58 USD.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/4DJvgs

Tips in general:

Nvidia -> AMD in general due to Nvidia taking advantage of AMD's open sourced software and incorporating it within their own cards. They also don't reveal their software to AMD, therefore games made with Nvidia will always be have Nvidia cards being superior to AMD cards.

Intel > AMD: Intel cards cost more but are much better in performance without tweaking.

Go for at least a Bronze level power supply.

Edited by RevivedEdgeLord

A year ago I'd recommend the Gforce 750 ti, All my friends and I got it because it gives the higher performance per dollar you can get. In otherwords it's cheap and powerful and performs great at mid-high range. However it's currently aging, and doesn't support SLI. So I'm lead to believe there's a newer budget card out these days, but 750 ti is still running strong, and has room for overclocking.

Additionally don't be afraid to use the google shopping search. It'll lead you to some strange places no one's ever heard of that'll give you a great price on high quality parts. However before using these unknowns research, the site themselves. just search "www.blahrandomtechparts.com review" and I guarantee a couple third party sites will have customers of those sites leaving their 2 cents.

Often you'll catch red flags like horrible service and not honoring return policies or broken on delivery merchandise. That's how you know not to trust a site obviously. However sometimes you find a wealth of comments saying they had a pretty good experience with the people, and if the site supports paypay, then even better. Also be aware that your browser has the ability to tell you if you're securely connected to paypay when entering your information.

These tiny unknown sites often have really great deals that are very useful if you're on a tight budget, that being said don't cheap out over 5 dollars (delivery price included) but hell if all up you save $15+ on a purchase then hell yeah go for it!

Also a lot of questions about parts like processors and power supplies can be found on youtube. I can edit in a link in the moment to a good power supply vid for yeh.

Power supply info:

Spoiler

Edited by KittyDarkling
Power supply vid