Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need help building a new computer with my friend.

Yazeth

Hello. I am trying to help a friend build a computer, but both of us are real newbies at it. I was wondering if we can get some help.

He is planning to spend at most $800 for the computer (including tax, shipping and handling) and would like to have it be able to run games well for around 5 years until he buys a new computer for the games that will come out at that time (or just stuff more graphic cards and RAM into the old rig if he is able to). He is also planning do do animation and video gaming for his career in the future as well, so I expect that we would need a lot of RAM as well. 

The questions that we have are as follow:

1) How much RAM is good for video editing and animation, especially for 3D animation and rendering?

2) What sort of GPU and CPU is good for running games like Fallout 4 at around medium settings? Would those be able to run games that will be released in 5 years?

3) Do the parts also come with wires and cables so that we can hook everything up without buying them separately? What about screws and such?

4) Are there any other things that we should know?

1. your gonna want 16GB minimum if your doing video rendering, but at the same time it depends on what your making, and how long it is.

2. For a decent starter Video Card I'd go with GTX 960 if you want more bang for your buck pick up a GTX 970 if you want the best for the series get a GTX 980TI as for CPU the best bang for your buck for i5 processor is the i5-4690k as it can be overclocked and is actually as good or better then some of the entry level i7's and it will cost you less then a i7. Rule of thumb if you want it to last make sure its a "k" Series as they can be overclocked.

3. As for wires, if you get a new motherboard that will come with usually 2 - 4 sata data cables and sometimes a SLI link cable you may get that with your video card as well. So you might need a extra sata data cable or two depending on how many drives you want to use and also if your going to use a DVD drive or not. Hard drives never come with cables or screws needed. The motherboard and your computer case will come with all the screws needed.

4. If your doing a whole fresh build your gonna need a windows install disk with a CD key. Or if you have an existing drive with windows on it, you can Clone that drive to a new drive to keep the Windows OS on it, then wipe the data from it so its a fresh windows and go from there.

I work at a computer store in Canada and right now I should be working instead of giving my help for free xD but oh well its a dead day today at work :p

Made a build, tell me what you think of it. Leaves around $73 USD left.

Core i5 - 4690k 3.5GHz quad core

16gb ddr3 1600 ram

Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB

500W 80+ Bronze PSU

2TB Seagate 7200 RPM

+ Thermal compound for CPU

Gameplay with similar hardware specs on battlefront ultra settings 1920 x 1080

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/478Fcf

1) 8-16gb

2) Whatever meets or exceeds the maximum system requirements. Will they be able to run games released in 5 years? Maybe not on high or ultra.

3) Yes they come with screws and cords.

Edited by RevivedEdgeLord