Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Disruptor Ancients. Come On, Really?

Licter

I love the idea of the Disruptor Ancient, really I do.  Something that interferes with my Warframe's energy?  I like it, it has a good tactical place in the otherwise rush-and-slash infested.

But wiping out all of my energy, regardless of my energy total, and staggering me?  There is no single infested that I worry about beside these guys.  I know, if even one of these hits me even a single time, I have no option but to kite and shoot.  It doesn't matter which warframe I have, or what weapons, I'm locked into one way of dealing with anything until I can replenish my energy.

I like a challenge.  That said, I also like to have one chance to change my tactics before my combat resources are completely wiped out.  Reduce the Disruptor's attacks to a percentage of my energy, or a flat amount (like 100 per hit) and I can respond to their attack without being completely gimped by a single hit.

This environment is not supposed to be 'realistic.'  It's a game.  It's supposed to be challenging, and entertaining.

/end rant

Different suggestion: Buff them but make their appearance rare. Not like it's current state which looks like common spam.

They can be buffed with their annoyances removed. Like say, giving them more attacks and a faster ground speed, but making it so they temporarily disable abilities instead of draining all your f**king energy.

I agree with the op, the all-or-nothing nature of the energy drain is a stupid and lazily-designed mechanic. I don't really care one way or the other because I only very rarely get hit, but it just feels really dumb and is a super cheap move.

I love the idea of the Disruptor Ancient, really I do.  Something that interferes with my Warframe's energy?  I like it, it has a good tactical place in the otherwise rush-and-slash infested.

But wiping out all of my energy, regardless of my energy total, and staggering me?  There is no single infested that I worry about beside these guys.  I know, if even one of these hits me even a single time, I have no option but to kite and shoot.  It doesn't matter which warframe I have, or what weapons, I'm locked into one way of dealing with anything until I can replenish my energy.

I like a challenge.  That said, I also like to have one chance to change my tactics before my combat resources are completely wiped out.  Reduce the Disruptor's attacks to a percentage of my energy, or a flat amount (like 100 per hit) and I can respond to their attack without being completely gimped by a single hit.

This environment is not supposed to be 'realistic.'  It's a game.  It's supposed to be challenging, and entertaining.

/end rant

I kinda wish the infected hit harder and in larger packs but that is just me.

you say there is no infested you worry about. besides them.

sounds like they are doing their job.

they walk slow at ranged. they only sprint when they are close. they can be knocked down, slowed, stunned with fire damage. and so on.

they are not there it end your fun. they are there so that you arent just mindlessly killing everything without a hint of concern for your safety. you are suppose to look for them. spot then in the crowd, which is hella easy considering, and shift your priorities. even if it means backing off to decide what to do next and re-engage.

it will be a sad day when all the good enemies get taken out cause nobody wants to worry about possibly having a hard time.

I often worry about them the most too. I think it's the fact that it staggers, saps all your shields and energy, and distorts your screen is what makes me go rawr. Still, the only buff I think it should have is maybe taking down your shields to 100 instead of removing them completely.

What if they would drop all the energy they absorbed when killed? This would still make them a threat when encountered but would not gimp you for the next several encounters assuming you survive and defeat them.

They dont absorb, they disrupt your Warframe systems. They are fine currently except for that they spawn massively.

Actually I kind of miss the old distortion. The new one only messes up your UI, the old one had this awesome 'OH GOD I'M ON LSD NOW' screen distortion and color changing.

Edited by Retni

I often worry about them the most too. I think it's the fact that it staggers, saps all your shields and energy, and distorts your screen is what makes me go rawr. Still, the only buff I think it should have is maybe taking down your shields to 100 instead of removing them completely.

Nerfing them liek that would make them pedestrian. They are supposed to be a real threat I say leave them as is.

Actually I kind of miss the old distortion. The new one only messes up your UI, the old one had this awesome 'OH GOD I'M ON LSD NOW' screen distortion and color changing.

They should make it Crysis-like disruption to the hud. That would look infinitely epic.

at 4:22

Nerfing them liek that would make them pedestrian. They are supposed to be a real threat I say leave them as is.

It's a very mild change. If only for a fighting chance when you're being eaten alive by the crowd and staggered so much you can't move. A real nerfing, I think, would be to halve your shields instead. xD

Besides, they can spawn in groups of 3 often times, so I see no problem taking the shields down to 100. Either way, Disrupters make it easy for their friends to nom your soft, fleshy body. :3

Edited by Runzu

/end rant

I don't care so much about the stagger and full energy drain as I do about the full shield drain, to be honest...  But yeah, I agree with you on the Disruptor nerf ideas, as long as it doesn't nerf it so much that it kills the challenge.

Different suggestion: Buff them but make their appearance rare. Not like it's current state which looks like common spam.

A good substitute to the nerf idea. I'm sick of being surrounded by four disruptors at one time, not to mention a bunch of other ancients and common Infected.

/end rant

If you like the challenge, you'll definitely should love the Disruptor Ancient as-is -- which drains your whole energy and makes you vulnerable. Other wise you would be in constant IDDQD god mode and spamming your skills with maxed Flow Mod.

Btw. this gives you a good starting point for teamwork: who would be the decoy/sacrifice to draw the Ancients etc. When the ancient focuses on you, you'll definitely know that your friends are safe and still having the energy =^.^= At best warframe is 4 man co-op game :)

Edited by carnaga

Ancient Disruptors are boring because they don't change how you play. Of all of the Ancients, they have two things in common, they knock you down with melee attacks, and they take forever to die. Toxics and Healers have an additional factor each: Toxics area deny you because of their poison, and Healers heal everything around them so they are an important focus target. Disruptors on the other hand don't do anything different, they just punish you more for being hit. They should really have their drain effects transmitted through a different way that makes them different from the other Ancients.

If you like the challenge, you'll definitely should love the Disruptor Ancient as-is -- which sucks your whole energy and makes you vulnerable. Other wise you would be in constant IDDQD god mode and spamming your skills with maxed Flow Mod.

+1 just for the Doom reference. XD

Part of the problem here is that not everyone is skilled enough to be able to get out of the situation. From what I have seen personally,  a lot of people lack the skills. They get hit by a Disruptor, lose all their energy and shields and get knocked down, surrounded by Infested which then proceed to stunlock them til they die. The problem is made even worse when there are multiple Disruptors around, which there almost always is.