The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Valkyr a good frame?

Gyberhall

Question

Well, i'm almost done crafting Valkyr. Based on the wiki, it said that she's a good WF.

But i need some opinions from the experienced players.

Tell me recommended builds, weapons, playstyles, etc.

Anything that'll make the frame effective.

I'll check the answers tomorrow. :]

Thanks to you all in-advance!

10 answers to this question

Valkyr is a very good frame, if a bit egocentric.

She is one of the most durable, if not the most, of the frames and can take a serious beating, even without hysteria active. She is best at missions, where you have to survive or kill, as she does both things really well, though if you tinker around with her augments, she can make for a decent defense frame as well, though mostly against infested.

My to-go build on my Valkyr aims to make her able to take as much of a beating as possible, and if my calculation for it is right, she gets an effective health pool of around 10k, this makes for a frame that can revive a teammate in a lot of situations without dying, again, even without hysteria.

http://goo.gl/CXr9Rd

This build specifically has a lot of rare mods that can take a long time to get, and you might wanna try out a little easier-to-get build, that doesn't take quite as many forma, like this:

http://goo.gl/OscTAH

I have also worked on a hysteria build, though personally I found it boring, since you're basically just pressing E, and nothing else. The build focuses on power strength and duration, where narrowminded actually benefit her, in that the chances of dying when going out of hysteria is reduced, due to the "afterdamage" mechanic of hysteria. Also remember to keep an eye on your energy when doing this, as you might die if you have taking too much damage when going out of hysteria close to enemies.

http://goo.gl/swwt2v

As above, this build does take some high end mods, so you might wanna try out and see if you can make it work in some other way.

The last build I've been tinkering around with was aimed for a more protective/supportive style of play. It's centered around her augment for her paralysis, and focuses on power range and strength, and having a mildly reduced duration, but not demolishing it. The intend of this build is to keep as many enemies on the ground, for as long as possible. She may not be as durable as the first build, but she has way more utility, and agian she is no Nova or Vauban, but she can hold her own in a defense if need be.

http://goo.gl/UOQmXq

I would probably look around for a better hysteria build if I were you, since I don't have a lot of experience in that particular build.

When you get Valkyr don't be surprised if she feels really squishy at first, she doesn't have a lot of shield or health. Even if her health can take quite a beating, it isn't a resource that replenishes quite as easy as shields, so remember to watch your back in the beginning.

Edit: Added builds and a bit more info.

Edited by Zardbooster

I use Valkyr for her fourth ability, Hysteria, coupled with War Cry. (You're basically immortal as long as you have Hysteria active, however it builds up damage overtime and it will be dealt to you if you get hit with the ability deactivated.) As for her build, I am going with a Power Strength and Efficiency for Hysteria to be ever lasting (with an energy consumption of 0.8 per second), maximum Power energy and some Duration, which also help with the energy consumption. - You can also install augments, if you'd like, which are Eternal War for the War Cry ability and Prolonged Paralysis for the Paralysis ability, though I honestly prefer Eternal War which adds two more seconds to the ability for each kill with Hysteria or your melee weapons.

As for a melee weapon, which directly affects her Hysteria ability itself, I always bring my Prisma Dual Cleavers due to its high critical chance and multiplier, with a critical focused build, though there are a lot of other mods that also affect the ability, which you can add. You can check out which in this page

Edited by JRMC

Valkyr is so powerful that it can even make her boring if you abuse her 4th skill. (I honestly expect a rework some day) She's great though. She's really good for hack and slash as well as shoot'm up. She's less of a "use skills on enemies" frame and more of a "I'm just gonna use my weapons to slaughter everything to solve any situation" kind of frame. If you like destroying lots of enemies up close and personal, she's definitely the frame for you.

EDIT: As for builds. I suggest warcry's augment and building for duration and efficiency. Don't use shield mods since she basically doesn't have shields. Vitality and Steel Fiber are pretty much top priorities. Rage is good for getting back some energy to pop her 4 in case of emergencies. The rest is honestly preference. With just those mods alone she's already nearly immortal without even having to abuse her 4th ability's invulnerability.

Edited by Stratego89

To be generous. I would describe the valkyr as an idiot proof frame, with a very high proportion of idiots among those who tend to favour using her. Its very forgiving, combining an immunity to knockdown/stuns/CC, with high melee damage and literal invincibility. Even without hysteria active, she's got the highest armour value of all frames in the game, making her incredibly tough in a fight.

It makes her very very easy to use effectively, but the valkyr suffers from a marked lack of payoff for playing in a skillful or intelligent way.

For all her benefits though, I rarely find her to bring any benefit to a group. She's a solo frame, but remains rather useless in raids, or organized groups, where blessing specialized trinities tend to be favoured, since they can convey invulnerability to the entire team. 

I wouldn't recommend using her, for the singular reason that it leaves you with few reasons to consider other aspects of warframe's gameplay, which short changes you from the game's full experience and leaves you woefully unequipped on a cognitive level, where raids and the like are concerned.

On the other hand, if you fore-see yourself keeping to the simplest and most uncomplicated of Warframe's content, the valkyr's perfectly fine.

She is quite good.

Even better for mission when you focus on survival and some kills (Survival, Interception, Extermination, Sabotage). Not good for defending.

Main build is Hysteria. Build for power efficiency, duracion and power. Hysteria also uses mods from weapon, so just pick one which have most drain/best mods possible.

She has also some utility, with syndicate mod you can perma keep Warcry. Rip Line is useful for all this parkour elements (useful for rank test).

She has very good armour so stack it up, but minimal shields (no point investing on).

Dangit. I done something stupid with that text. Sorry im using a tablet.

But anyway Zardbooster, thanks for your advice.

Since im just a noobie that only knows 35% how this game is played.

I appreciate you posting your builds. I mostly get stuck up on what to put on Valkyr.

That's why i came here for help.

Big thanks to everyone for their advice!

5 hours ago, TermiteFrame said:

I think everyone pretty much summed it up. If it hasn't been mentioned yet I recommend using natural talent to help with warcry and hysteria's casting speeds.

That's a terrible recommendation. In most cases Hysteria and Warcry are activated once per mission, in which case you'd save a grand total of 1 second of casting time from both skills in a 20, 40, 60+ minute mission. Forego Natural Talent for something else.

Since Body Count does not work with Hysteria's claws and therefore has trouble keeping up with damage, I've begun using a Warcry/Eternal War build with high Armour. Weapons of choice are a Jat Kittag and Corrosive Lacera for Augmented Armour Sorties.