Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost Prime Or Nyx?

Kinperor

Question

I honestly know almost nothing of either of those frames, apart from what their powers says on paper.

Anyone who used them can tell me the pros and cons? As far as I know, Frost is very strong all around, and Nyx is a 3-spam bot.

I have both alternate helmet BP, but I'm not sure I like Menticide. Aurora on the other hand looks great. 

8 answers to this question

Well I own both frames so I hope I can help out. I have Nyx potatoes, at rank 30, and will soon be polarized. She is easily my favorite warframe because I like the concept behind her character and the unique way she contributes to battles. I only just got Frost Prime so I do not know as much about him. Here are the basics: Frost is a tank, Nyx is squishy. Frost and Rhino, if I remember correctly have the exact same stats. Super high shields, really good health, a bit slower but make up for it in damage and CC powers; however they have very little energy. Nyx on the otherhand has fairly weak shields, though certainly enough to keep her alive if you use her right, and has a huge energy pool, especially with the addition of Flow. 

I'd say it really comes down to your playstyle and which power set your think is more interesting. To me the ability to induce mass panic and confusion and control the minds of weaker individuals is far more impressive than making the things cold. With Nyx your main role in combat is to make the enemy fight themselves while you sit back and patter away at them from a distance or use their distraction to close the distance and tear them apart with melee. Nyx is very squishy, yes, but if you have a good hold on your energy usage, enemy priority, and weapon proficiency, she rarely takes much damage. She also makes heavy units your best friend. Say goodbye to worrying about disruptive or Heavy Ballista Grineer. Simply mind control them and have them rip apart the enemy instead of you. Frost on the otherhand seems to be a damage oriented tank (as opposed to the defensive/CC oriented Rhino) Snow Globe is especially useful in defense missions seeing as it causes enemies to come into melee range to hit the pod and its protectors. His linear and Radial ice damage abilities also do quite a bit of damage. He will certainly be much more front line combat than Nyx but can hold his own and can decimate enemies if they cluster together too much. 

Either way, both are very formidable frames and fun to play. Hope this helps.

I used both. I recommend both.

If you must decide between them, then probably Frost Prime. He's powerful in every aspect except speed, but that's what Rush is for. Snow Globe is really good for Grineer and Corpus defence (except on that one Grineer map with the Power Core). Freeze is pretty useful in boss fights because you can stop the boss from doing anything and give yourself time to recharge and reload. Ice Wave can be pretty good if your enemies are all lined up, and Avalanche is a pretty devastating AOE.

Frosty is just my favourite.

Edited by TheSmash

Further question on Nyx: I heard her Psychic Bolts were borderline useless or un-usable because of how they work, is that still the case today or was it fixed? What about her ult? 

As for Frost, I am not really worried about his abilities (except 1, which seems kinda weak or situationnal).

Also, I played Rhino and Ember/Volt/Trinity before, so I could really go either way with Nyx or Frost, hence why I'm indecisive.  

Might not be an expert on this, since I've had Nyx only a couple of days now, but I'm fairly positive I can recommend her.

I really, really like her skills. Mind Control is awesome, especially in defense missions - get an Ancient Healer on your side and you end up healing your party and your pod (provided your team mates don't shoot it down immediately :P).

Chaos stops an entire wave dead in it's tracks regardless of level. Also very good in pretty much any situation with a large crowd.

Now, Psychic Bolts... hm. It's good, I think. It's somewhat situational, but I guess all her skills are.

Here's the problem - it smacks into walls. So, using it in a tight corridor is a bad idea. However, in wide open places I found it honestly very good when launched in air. It goes really far and hits for an OK amount of damage (125 max per bolt, 7 bolts max). You can also guide them by zooming in on enemies after you've launched them, but I haven't played with that too much yet. It's a bit steep at 50 energy, but what the hey. 

And Absorb is really cool while soloing, but not so much in a group. I hope they'll tune up the skill to have an aggro draw on activation and go trough walls with its damage sometime soon. This way it's... meh. Interesting thing is that it seems to absorb ally fire as well.

So far, the impressions were very good, and I'm pretty sure I'll keep her as my main warframe. She just seems extremely versatile to me, and very interesting to use at the same time. 

I do like having Frost in the party, though xD