Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frequent Frame drop

JohnKable

Question

Hi everyone, already opened a post but i decided to start a new one after some serious testing and more information in the opening post. Also i have to apologize because english is not my language so i just hope you will understand what im writing.

Since U18 im having frame drops, frequent and usually going between 15-22 fps. (exept those drops usually i run at 60fps smooth even with max settings)

My pc setup is: CPU i7-2670QM, 16gb ram, GTX 580m gpu. SSD for OS and HDD for games. Win10 with everything updated, drivers and else.

lets say its kinda old and crappy setup, and seriously speaking it is. But it hanlded the game very well until U18 dropped, Always using maxed setting except for some turned off for personal taste, not new to frame drops but never below 40ish, and only in very pacey situations (like hours in endless mission with powers spam and alot of enemies)

Also the game optimization from Nvidia experience would turn on something like 95% of the graphic features and lets me think that the graphic card is supposed to handle the game quite well, but seems the graphic settings arent the crucial part of the problem.

Things that are proved:

• Vsync seems to worsen frame drops and their frequency.
  • Turning off Vsync and capping fps to 50 or lower doesnt solve completely but helps alot BUT i have some tedious screen tearing.
  • Turning off all graphic setting helps little to none
  • Lowering resolution to 720p helps little to none

Worst case scenario usually involve:

• Molecular prime cast by any squad member
  • Ash's Bladestorm only cast by me
  • Ember's world on fire
  • Saryn's spores
  • with lesser effect almost any power that affects many enemies together
  • its a certain frame drops when some of the above conditions are active at one time.

Really tried changing every settings i could, from in-game to Nvidia control panel. Also made sure the GPU in use was always the GTX and not the integrated HD3000. Couldnt really figure out what is causing such bad frame drops. Even running the game at 720p with everithing off wasnt enough to totally prevent frame drops to 15-20 fps.

Hope you can give me any advice, and i will try any suggestion. Definitely cant figure it out myself.

3 answers to this question

Win 10's been having a few problems recently, but I am unaffected.  It's either your GPU's age (GTX580's are kinda old, though it's a good chipset, I think its memory capacity is kinda lacking)

Though I doubt so, it's possible there's another problem that you might have to deal with, such as spyware, overheating.

With the graphical updates that we got in 18.5, things like that always happen.

Edited by Arkinvas
clarity

15 minutes ago, Arkinvas said:

Win 10's been having a few problems recently, but I am unaffected.  It's either your GPU's age (GTX580's are kinda old, though it's a good chipset, I think its memory capacity is kinda lacking)

Though I doubt so, it's possible there's another problem that you might have to deal with, such as spyware, overheating.

With the graphical updates that we got in 18.5, things like that always happen.

The real problem is that nothing changed with U18.5. the game is having such issues since U18. 

100% sure spyware arent the problem because its a long time im using this specific PC only for Warframe and nothing else. I installed kasperski, update and ran a scan but nothing found.

Im also aware that the GPU is aged, but never had problems before. Overheating is not a thing, and memory couldnt be lacking at least when i set resolution at 720p and all settings to low.
Its also a relatively new part i replaced last year...
I will try installing other games to compare, i can just tell that Fallout 4 runs fine on it (have to turn down some settings of course)

probably the only thing left to do is trying to make a clean revert to win7 and reinstall game from zero. 

The problem with the graphics card isn't the GPU or your CPU RAM, but the GPU's RAM (though unlisted,) if that even is the problem.  It sounds like what is setting off the frame drop is the particle effects, which fallout 4 doesn't have much of, and are usually very taxing on Graphics card memory.