Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Mandela Effect got me :(

notlamprey

Are time travelers going back and messing with the past, subtly altering current and future events?

Certainly not, right? For starters, time travel backwards appears to be expressly forbidden by the laws of physics. But just for funs, let's unpack the theory in a nutshell. I'm talking about something that has been referred to as:

mandela.jpg

The Mandela Effect.

The whole thing started when it became widely known that two very different (conflicting) accounts of Nelson Mandela's death were coexisting in the memories of a large number of people. There are plenty of perfectly mundane explanations for this: humans are consummately fallible, technology allows the rapid spread of all information, both accurate and inaccurate, and so on.

Somehow, the hypothesis that someone had messed with the past, C&C: Red Alert style, began taking shape. Before you know it, the internet had spawned a robust library of related items that people seem to remember one of two ways. The spelling of the Berenstain Bears children's books, the wording of The Lord's Prayer in the Bible, and so on.

I can't bring myself to buy into the "illuminati time travelers" theory, but I'd sure love to know whether all these misremembered items are mostly all products of the same process, or perhaps all happening for their own unique reasons.

Getting to the point: did the Lillith node on Europa always have the double L in its name? I remember it only having a single middle L, because starchart nodes were traditionally named after existing Astronomical terms.

edit: "Lilith" is technically an astrological term, and not an astronomical one. Also, that one apocryphal "first wife" of Adam.

Also, my brain insists that Hilary Clinton's first name also only ever had a single middle L, but I think it's confusing her with a different Hilary.

Edited by notlamprey
accuracy, yo.

First: Time travel is not possible, at all.

Second: The human brain is extremely prone to suggestion, and commonly makes mistakes. Jack Daniels used to open his safe every day, for years. One day, he forgot the code to unlock it, that was troubling, as he always opens it, every day. In a fit of anger he kicked the steel safe, and broke his toe. Six years later that toe got infected with gangrene and he died.

That's a true story. I tried to find a video of the next thing I was thinking of, could only find a trailer.