Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Mechanic Concept] Environment and Damage Type Interactions

Sulphuros_Samsara

OK, I gave a good look through the forum, and hadn't come across it, and I'm kinda sad it wasn't thought of (as far as I know).

What I'm suggesting is interactions between Warframe powers and damage types on weapons to interact with the environment. For example, Cold damage could freeze water, making it either slippery, or give a cold proc.  In either case, it would annul any elemental damage coming from it (such as electricity), and would melt from Heat damage.  Electricity could electrify those same pools in their unfrozen state, making them hazardous for enemies to wade in.  Primarily Slash or Puncture weapons wouldn't blow up explosive barrels (1: remember, Mythbusters proved oil barrels don't explode when shot, slashed, or punctured, the fuel-to-air mixture is all wrong, 2: Orokin Explosive Canisters would be exempt from this, they seem to be more like traps than containers of oil), but instead make them spill their contents (most likely a flammable oil or the like) towards the strike/around them in a very large puddle, which then could be ignited by Heat damage. Toxin, Viral, and Corrosive damage could make the fleshy substances of Infested-controlled maps snap or recede. Impact and Blast damage, when used on destructible items like canisters wouldn't outright destroy them immediately, but instead knock them in the direction of the blow, acting as projectiles.  A Magnetic proc would cause nearby metallic objects to crash into the target (the more magnetic damage behind the proc, the bigger the objects that can be drawn in), dealing Impact damage with proc chance increasing the bigger the object is. Radiation fired at a fire patch would cause a Corrosive-damage cloud of vapor that would eat away at armor, like 1 point a sec or something like that.

Anyway, this would lead to more dynamic levels, and possibly new Warframe interactions, like Volt/Frost and Hydroid. It would increase the versatility of many weapons and frames, and would generally be a REALLY cool addition, despite maybe being a bit hard to code (in my opinion, it would at least be a lot of work). Feel free to comment, give constructive criticism, and even help shape it to become better.

Edited by Nitrolad

I've got no major objections at present. Maps could really stand to have more player interaction than they currently do.

And mind you, I'm someone who tears concepts APART if they do something I don't like, so me not saying anything bad is one of the better things I can say.

I will say that explosive barrels should explode when hit with anything simply because most explosive containers in warframe are holding volatile substances like Oxium.

Edited by Rehtael7

Just now, Nitrolad said:

Then how do we get Oxium from Orokin Void canisters or Oxium Ospreys?

In small quantities, it's easier to not destory. And that's what causes Oxium osprey to explode is the Oxium. That's why we only get it from them if they don't self-destruct. And I can't recall where, but I know somewhere in the game it says that a Fomorian's core is composed heavily of oxium.

1 hour ago, Nitrolad said:

Also, the explosive canisters/barrels existed before Oxium was a resource.

Excalibur normal existed before Excalibur Prime. Doesn't mean it wasn't around first.

(See what I mean by poking holes in things people come up with? The fact that I didn't have much to say about the original post should indicate how much I liked it.)

Actually, you remember the event that introduced Oxium, "Operation Oxium Espionage"? Lemme quote it:

"Tenno,

Weeks ago we received intel about a Corpus raid on a little-known independent research facility near Eris. The Corpus made off with a scientific jackpot, the formulation of a rediscovered experimental Orokin alloy called Oxium."

This implies that Oxium was rediscovered later than the explosive barrels' starting production.

26 minutes ago, Nitrolad said:

Actually, you remember the event that introduced Oxium, "Operation Oxium Espionage"? Lemme quote it:

"Tenno,

Weeks ago we received intel about a Corpus raid on a little-known independent research facility near Eris. The Corpus made off with a scientific jackpot, the formulation of a rediscovered experimental Orokin alloy called Oxium."

This implies that Oxium was rediscovered later than the explosive barrels' starting production.

Excellent point. That event predates my Warframe experience and I was not aware.