Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Voice communication broken by echo

DEATHLOK

Started playing yesterday with friend. Both players using Steel Series headsets with built-in microphones and desktop PCs. Push-to-talk worked just fine for a while.

Immediately after players visited the dojo, both players began to experience an echo so bad that it rendered voice communication unintelligible.

Both players attempted to disable in-game voice communication and use Steam Client voice, but the echo did not go away.

Never had this problem before. It's still ongoing.

Did you try adjusting with the voice receive volume in the audio options?  You can also try testing the microphone in there, and make sure you have the proper audio output device selected for your PC as well as mic input device.  Let us know how that goes.

To clarify, both players have the same headset. Voice communication worked before, when we would play as a family a couple years ago. And it worked just fine for a little while the other day. Immediately after the two of us went to the clan dojo, the echo began. Both players hear a repeating echo with the other player's voice—it's not just one of us. We haven't had any hardware changes. It started after visiting the clan dojo.

We both tested the mic in the Steam Client software. Works just fine. No echo.

I tested my mic at the Audio menu in game (NOT while teamed with the other player). Worked fine. No echo. My default Voice output device was "Default;" I switched that to reflect my hardware.

The other player tested her mic in game, same as me. Worked fine. No echo. ALL the audio devices were set to "Default," but we toggled them over to the appropriate hardware.

We've not touched any of these controls before. And it DID work before.

We just joined each other in game, and the echo started. Just like yesterday and the day before. We can't understand each other because of it.

We both put all the audio devices back to "Default," but the echo continues.

Edited by DEATHLOK

New Windows 10 PC

• i7-6700, 3.4 GHz, 8MB Cache, LGA1151
• GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, LGA 1151, BIOS version F5
• G.SKILL TRIDENT Z F4-3200C16D-16GTZB
• EVGA GEFORCE GTX 980 SC, 4GB GDDR5
• Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Old Windows 7 PC

• Intel Core i7-950
• EVGA GTX 780 4GB
• CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB CAS 9 (triple clannel DDR3)
• EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 SLI3
• Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

That's what we're playing on, ourselves. Last night, we played with a third person using an HP laptop on the other side of town. While the two of us here both heard each other echo, the third person did not. Then again, that third player was not using a microphone.

Edited by DEATHLOK

Simply leaving the squad and rejoining does not stop the echo. So far, the only thing that has stopped it (temporarily) is visiting the dojo. Don't know if both players have to do this, or just one. The echo can start or stop when joining a squad; quitting the game and restarting has no effect.

We have NOT failed to stop the echo (temporarily) by visiting the dojo.

Edited by DEATHLOK

• 3 weeks later...

We've been playing a LOT more and testing this bug out.

The dojo doesn't have anything to do with it. Not at all. The only reason it seemed to work was because it forced us to leave our squad and then rejoin.

As far as when it occurs (following a cold start of the game), the echo is entirely random.

Most often, leaving the squad and rejoining remedies the situation. Occasionally—and rarely—the echo persists once rejoining the squad. When that happens, we just do it again. We haven't had an echo three times in a row upon joining a squad, but I'm learning not to count anything out.

As far as which player does the inviting and which does the joining, this echo does not seem affected one way or the other.

My apologies for any confusion I may have caused earlier.

Edited by DEATHLOK