The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lag between controls and movement

Lost-Keys

Question

I'm trying to figure out if this is a Warframe issue or a me issue.

So after a mission or two I start having some horrible control issues.  There will be a lag between what I'm telling my character to do and when it actually happens, or when it's really bad I just get ignored completely.  I end up running into walls uncontrollably or standing around like an idiot.  I even reinstalled the game to see if that would help (it didn't). At first this would only happen every once in a while, but since the DDoS attack I can't seem to go 2 missions without losing control.  This doesn't seem to be happening in my other games.

Is anyone else having similar issues?  Thanks in advance for any input.

11 answers to this question

I have similar issues on my end ever since the end of the DDoS attack.

Sometimes my actions - attacks, powers - seem to take up to 1 second to have an effect on the ennemies. Map markers also seem to jump around.

Animations still seem fluid, so it doesn't seem to be a frame rate problem; more like lag with the host I would guess?

I wonder if the solutions put in place to prevent DDoS in the future can have a negative impact on the game performance?

On 3/4/2016 at 5:59 PM, [DE]Dmitri said:

Can you try disabling "reverb" in the sound settings? If that doesn't work, try lowering the volume of the game sounds.
If all else fails, please try disabling 64-bit in the launcher settings.

We are still trying to pinpoint what exactly is causing sound stuttering/frame rate drops however we believe these temporary solutions may help for now. 

I just tried this as well as updating to the latest video card drivers and was able to get a run without apparent lag. Maybe I was just unlucky with hosts before or maybe it helped; you can try it and see?

Might be due to low framerate (which cuts down responsiveness), or VSync somehow being enabled (which absolutely destroys responsiveness). Or, worse, both at the same time.

Double-check with your ingame settings and your GPU settings to make sure that VSync is off. It might not be the issue since it's not like the game had a graphics update since the DDoS attacks or anything, but it's always good to check, I guess.

Sorry for the late reply, I went to bed right after I posted this.

I had just updated my gpu and was having driver issues, but correcting that last night didn't help with my lag and these problems predated my last driver update as well.  However, I did a few of the things recommended above (turning Vsync and reverb off, launching in 32bit) and ran a few missions this morning.  Everything seems to be running correctly at the moment, but I will update again later today after some more strenuous testing. 

Thank you all for your help.  I'll keep you posted.

Everything ran fine for a while as I did some Void missions with some friends, but for the Forma alert that occurred today things once more went haywire.  I'm wondering if it might be a latency issue after all; I'm also having problems with slow doors and the like.

If you look at the player list below your info in the upper-right (tap Z to make it show up if it's not there), everybody has a number.  1 is the host, and 2/3/4 are clients.  I'm willing to bet plat that when it's fine you're 1 (the host), and when it's not you're 2/3/4 and susceptible to lag.

Go into your in-game settings and make sure you're on the right matchmaking region so you're not trying to play with people on the other side of the planet.

On March 17, 2016 at 11:25 PM, CaptainArson said:

Everything ran fine for a while as I did some Void missions with some friends, but for the Forma alert that occurred today things once more went haywire.  I'm wondering if it might be a latency issue after all; I'm also having problems with slow doors and the like.

If doors are taking a while to open, that's definitely a latency issue. Might be on your end (if a family member is watching Netflix or something), or your friend who's hosting might have a slow connection.

Rule of thumb is that if your game itself is running strangely (e.g. the entire game runs slowly, the screen takes a while to show any response to your keyboard/mouse input, etc), then it's some sort of issue with your graphics settings and/or hardware. Whereaas if the objects within the game respond slowly (e.g. enemies are running but don't leave their spot, players/objects teleport, objects/items/certain abilities have delayed responses when your character interact with them, etc), then that's typically aa problem with either your internet or the host's.