The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is your day job?

Sixty5

Anatomic Pathology Tech at a Cytogenetic lab while finishing up degrees in Microbiology and Public Health.  Im probably being overly specific here, but i like what i do, and i like to share it.

Spoiler

Its important to love what you do

30 minutes ago, AutoPhox said:

Anatomic Pathology Tech at a Cytogenetic lab while finishing up degrees in Microbiology and Public Health.  Im probably being overly specific here, but i like what i do, and i like to share it.

Hide contents

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life because nobody's hiring" -Somebody, probably

34 minutes ago, AutoPhox said:

Hide contents

That actually sounds pretty cool, create any super bugs?

Working in a restaurant as my "first" job... kinda. It's hard, but ya know, when you need "plat", gotta work ; )

The thing i hate though is you know when you start but not when you finish. Sometimes i can do 6 hours, sometimes 12. 

Edited by Stoner74

13 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

That actually sounds pretty cool, create any super bugs?

Haha naw. Samples i work with are usually non-infectious like cancer tissue or just the run-o-the-mill pathogens. The scary stuff is sent to the state before it reaches my lab...usually...

Other than that, any transgenic microbes i make are non-pathogenic and nutrient-specific dependent, so they cant escape the lab. So no super bugs, but i can make them glow! lol

Just now, AutoPhox said:

Haha naw. Samples i work with are usually non-infectious like cancer tissue or just the run-o-the-mill pathogens. The scary stuff is sent to the state before it reaches my lab...usually...

Other than that, any transgenic microbes i make are non-pathogenic and nutrient-specific dependent, so they cant escape the lab. So no super bugs, but i can make them glow! lol

I did a thing once involving getting E-coli to produce GFP, that was pretty cool.

Loads of safety stuff when working with that crap tho

Just now, Sixty5 said:

I did a thing once involving getting E-coli to produce GFP, that was pretty cool.

Loads of safety stuff when working with that crap tho

Yeah, Its super fascinating stuff! My standard work attire includes a lab coat, gloves, glasses and a fume hood for safety. The funny thing is, all this 'safety'  is used to protect the sample from contamination as much as it is to protect me from infection haha

Just now, AutoPhox said:

Yeah, Its super fascinating stuff! My standard work attire includes a lab coat, gloves, glasses and a fume hood for safety. The funny thing is, all this 'safety'  is used to protect the sample from contamination as much as it is to protect me from infection haha

And I thought that having to wear long sleeve shirts and pants for my job sucked

I worK for a broadcast TV station (the kind you receive with an antenna) in the SW Oklahoma area.

My main duties include editing video for newscasts, running teleprompter and other stuff to make a newscast. We use Premiere CS5 for now, but will be switching to EDIUS 7 soon.

I don't really see it as a job.  I see it as I get paid to sit in front of a computer.  Plus the weekends are a bit slow for me so I spend it playing Warframe.

(My company really doesn't care what I do, as long as I do my job first.)

Love my job. :D