Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

VOLT and other warframe "Troll" features

OTF4L

I suggest 2 different ways to opt out of any warframe special that may be misused ie: Loki Switch teleport, Volt Speed Boost..etc:

1) Just like Limbo a squad member should be able to roll or evade out of it.

2) add an option in the options menu - "Opt out of other players Special Moves" - this could be selectable either in a mission or before and stays selected untill changed. Thus keeping you out of any potentially "Trollable" situations.

I think you should have both of them because there are situations where one is more desirable than the other and visa versa.

5 minutes ago, OTF4L said:

1) Just like Limbo a squad member should be able to roll or evade out of it.

Evasion is something people actually do, though. I don’t wanna lose my Speed just because I decided to roll.

6 minutes ago, OTF4L said:

2) add an option in the options menu - “Opt out of other players Special Moves” - this could be selectable either in a mission or before and stays selected untill changed. Thus keeping you out of any potentially “Trollable” situations.

I feel like that’s a bad idea. Even if it’s only for ST, ST is really useful sometimes.

15 hours ago, OTF4L said:

Volt Speed Boost

Pardon me but why in your opinion do you consider Volt's 2nd to be trollish?

Unless you're bad at navigation and you constantly hit every walls you encounter during Speed, I don't see any downsides.

1 minute ago, ChronoEclipse said:

Evasion is something people actually do, though. I don’t wanna lose my Speed just because I decided to roll.

I feel like that’s a bad idea. Even if it’s only for ST, ST is really useful sometimes.

I understand but in the dev stream DE was saying that some people complain that they dont want to be in volts speed boost - Personally I dont know why?  But DE seemed pretty bent on adding some way to opt out.  It was mentioned that maby there could be a portal and you go in it to get boost.  My opinion is that that would really nerf the ability to keep up with or even pass a volt who is boosting you.  It is already an option in limbo to evade out of his special  so it should be easy to add it to all frames specials. Maby constrain it to just back flip?   But that is also why I mentioned that both a options method and a mission option should be implemented.

12 minutes ago, Uzpian said:

Unless you're bad at navigation and you constantly hit every walls you encounter during Speed, I don't see any downsides.

Some People who main Arcane Vangard Rhino or Loki don't often like it. I know it by maining a Volt, but i do agree that it wouldn't be considered trollish... I'd thing its more a nuisance to buff the fastest frames into superspeed.

Edited by Demonfr34k

5 minutes ago, Uzpian said:

in the dev stream DE was saying that some people complain that they don't want to be in volts speed boost - Personally I don't know why?

1) It does not bother me infact I love it.  However I do understand that some people may not like it.

2) Some of the other frames have specials that are much more disruptive to others game play than volt.

3) I forsee this being an issue in the future for several current frames and most likely some new ones too - Just recently look at Atlas wall issue.

4) The spirit of this post is to help DE possibly consider a systemic solution rather than a piecemeal one by one deal.

I understand that DE will most likely change it to accommodate those people.  I also respect the rights of those who do not like it and want to complain about it.  

if speed only troll fast warframes, then maybe the answer is that the wormhole should only pop up if that warframe could go supersonic. 

the wormhole could also pose a problem if:

1. it sometimes will be too far away from the warframe like convergence pickups
  2. if the wormhole was surrounded by enemies.
  3. the placing of the wormhole in high/ crowded areas
Edited by Aquasurge

16 hours ago, Aquasurge said:

if speed only troll fast warframes, then maybe the answer is that the wormhole should only pop up if that warframe could go supersonic. 

the wormhole could also pose a problem if:

1. it sometimes will be too far away from the warframe like convergence pickups
  2. if the wormhole was surrounded by enemies.
  3. the placing of the wormhole in high/ crowded areas

Yes, also it would not allow for easy participation in continuous recasts like when going from one side of tileset to other.  I think wormhole is definitely bad idea.

16 hours ago, Serialkillerwhale said:

It also trolls people who melee, esp ones that rely on "Pause" combos.

Never thought of that one.   well suggestion 2 would fix that for sure.

2) add an option in the options menu - "Opt out of other players Special Moves" - this could be selectable either in a mission or before and stays selected untill changed. Thus keeping you out of any potentially "Trollable" situations.

On 4/2/2016 at 10:30 AM, ChronoEclipse said:

The way MMORPG games work is when 1 person can offend or impact several peoples experience  in an unforeseen way, and people complain, Any developers who are "worth their salt" will do something about it.  Be there no mistake DE is on their game they do an awesome job in the pursuit of a balanced enjoyable experience for all who play.

So basically it is a fact that something will eventually be done.  

It is also a 95% probability that the change although intended for the better will still impact other players.  

So the choice is really what change can have the least invasive effect on other players experience while allowing those who do not wish to participate in the "AOE buff / Possible Troll Move" to opt out of it.

After carefully considering all of the above I came up with #1 and #2 of the original post.

So with all of the above in mind I'm sure we all would benefit from comments that also contain alternative suggestions in addition to reasons why we do or do not like initial post.

19 minutes ago, OTF4L said:

So with all of the above in mind I'm sure we all would benefit from comments that also contain alternative suggestions in addition to reasons why we do or do not like initial post.

Fair point, but I don’t claim to have all the answers. I also think, at this point, that what you were suggesting would do more harm than good.

I thus felt that it was a good idea to register my dissatisfaction with your conclusions and why I was dissatisfied, whether or not I had a “better” idea in mind.

4 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

Fair point, but I don’t claim to have all the answers. I also think, at this point, that what you were suggesting would do more harm than good.

I thus felt that it was a good idea to register my dissatisfaction with your conclusions and why I was dissatisfied, whether or not I had a “better” idea in mind.

Understood :)  Could you maybe elaborate on how having an "Option" in the game menu to opt out of special moves would do harm?

Edited by OTF4L

2 minutes ago, OTF4L said:

Understood :)  Could you maybe elaborate on how having an “Option” in the game menu to opt out of special moves would do harm?

First, there’s no real specification on what a “special move” is. Does Blessing count? How about Warcry? Provoke? The fuzzyness of this line makes things weird.

Say you run out from the defense pod to get loot or maybe to use melee on a strong enemy. You go down. The Loki pops Invis and tries to ST you back to the pod so the Frost can rez you freely, but you have ST disabled. The Loki either now has to manually go to you to rez you, risking himself by staying out that long, or just let you die. Depending on his build, he might not even have the duration to go out, rez you and get back without recasting (a risky business in itself).

On 4/2/2016 at 10:50 AM, Demonfr34k said:

Some People who main Arcane Vangard Rhino or Loki don't often like it. I know it by maining a Volt, but i do agree that it wouldn't be considered trollish... I'd thing its more a nuisance to buff the fastest frames into superspeed.

I use the term "Troll-able" very loosely here.  Mainly because it encompasses all the "Undesired" effect specials.  I just didnt have a better word that I felt covered it...lol 

19 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

First, there’s no real specification on what a “special move” is. Does Blessing count? How about Warcry? Provoke? The fuzzyness of this line makes things weird.

Say you run out from the defense pod to get loot or maybe to use melee on a strong enemy. You go down. The Loki pops Invis and tries to ST you back to the pod so the Frost can rez you freely, but you have ST disabled. The Loki either now has to manually go to you to rez you, risking himself by staying out that long, or just let you die. Depending on his build, he might not even have the duration to go out, rez you and get back without recasting (a risky business in itself).

Yes I see your point on the definition - I am only referring to the most obvious ones:

Loki - Switch Teleport 

Vauban - Bounce 

Valkyr -  Ripline

Volt -  Speed Boost

Limbo -  Rift

Your example is a very good point.  So in this situation I would think maybe you don't have that option enabled or you suffer the consequences.  Also if this option is toggable during a mission then if you die you could disable it then tell loki to help ya.  

Personally I never end up in what many others seem to find as "Troll-able" situations.  I just ask them to stop and if they don't I leave the mission and ignore the offending person afterwards - Poof Problem solved...lol

Edited by OTF4L

Nova's Wormhole is also pretty trolly sometimes, but what do you intend to do about it? there is not point in having an option that allows you to ignore them, as they are helpful mostly, but there can always be a guy who blocks off a door by covering it with wormholes, so really, this isn't one you can just fix.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Koolster 998 said:

Nova's Wormhole is also pretty trolly sometimes, but what do you intend to do about it? there is not point in having an option that allows you to ignore them, as they are helpful mostly, but there can always be a guy who blocks off a door by covering it with wormholes, so really, this isn't one you can just fix.

Agreed.  That is a tough one mabey hers would be special option if you have it disabled in "Options" then you get a confirmation when u go into it - Click no and it disappears.  That is definitely a tricky one.  ty for pointing it out.

Edited by OTF4L

As I think more about this through comments from other players I feel even more comfortable with the 2nd option because:

2) add an option in the options menu - "Opt out of other players Special Moves" - this could be selectable via "Options Menu" either in a mission or before and stays selected until changed. Thus keeping you out of any potentially "Troll-able" situations. - I know this would not be great in all situations but this would really be mainly for those who have trouble with these moves thus not effecting the majority of us who do not have an issue at all.  It could also be beneficial in situations where someone keeps spamming one of the above mentioned moves thus making the mission completable.

Thus making the issue invisible to those of us who have no problem with it in the first place...lol