Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn spore build, weapons?

Lexibell

Question

Just picked up saryn prime and the spore mechanic kinda confuses me a little bit. Right now the only primary i have worth using is tonkor and so far i feel like tonkor is doing most of the work, not spores. So i was poking around and found that ps4 guy, maelstrom or w.e and he was swearing by his gas ignis and he was 51% of the damage in like a 200 wave t4 or something idk. But looking at warframe builder the ignis only does like 10k dps so I imagine that its useless near the end game. How is he doing so much damage? Does ignis damage not matter since its popping spores? I also have dual toxocyst, been workin out alright i guess, and im getting hikou prime tomorrow so gonna see how concealed explosives work out. Any opinions on a primary weapon with her and still do damage? Kinda hard to spread spores when I one shot everything.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Omola

6 answers to this question

Ignis is a really good weapon for spores (can get it over 100% status chance and hits spores easily). When the gas status procs it creates toxin clouds. If an enemy is affected by spores and toxin, popping the spore will spread both toxin and viral (meaning more spore damage). If an enemy is affected by both toxin and viral then Miasma will deal an additional 200% damage. You'll want max range, high damage and above 100% duration in order to get the most out of a spore build. You can put your spores on your molt (for 50% reduced energy cost) then pop the spores on molt to spread to surrounding enemies or directly use spores on enemies and spread them that way. I like to use the molt method of spreading spores since if you kill an enemy without popping a spore the spread will be at a reduced range. The reduced energy cost is nice too.

Edited by RideaTear

I typically use spores on a Molt. You can cast it multiple times on the molt and plenty of enemies will trigger it however many times you cast it. The resulting Molt explosion actually does quite a bit on enemies that have spores. Otherwise I stick to my Vaykor Hek which will basically always trigger additional spores if you aim in the general direction of them (sometimes oddly placed on enemy units).

Either way, the DoT numbers get a bit insane in larger groups (i.e. in ODD/ODS).

Gas is one of my favorite elements, and ideal for a number of infested types. The proc is literally a cloud DoT, which makes it especially fun on status melee weapons like Serro, Lacera, or Nikondi. I haven't used Ignis in a long time though, so I can't really speak on that. 

For spores ignis, tonkor, or torid are probably your best choices for primaries. As for a secondary, best choice is any throwing star type modded for concealed explosives or embolyst, if nothing else. In either case, mod for gas, and aim for the center of groups. The point is to stack toxin procs without totally one-shoting the spore host.

ok so here's how it works from what I've checked, take that 10k-ish damage in gas form, status proc goes off and a burst of toxin Dot dealing 50% of that potential damage is applied to enemies. Saryn's spores can carry toxin to other enemies at a rate of 25% of the initial toxin damage as additional viral damage plus a toxin DoT as icing on the deathcap flavored cake.

Okay so I understand spores a bit better now. My real concern is the tonkor, it basically one shots everything i have fired it at, while thats good i feel like im not getting the most out of my spores. Im unsure how exactly tonkor interacts with spores, does the explosion pop them if the explosion kills them? What if I get a gas proc off the explosion, does it even get a chance to increase the damage of spore (Gas procs do make spores do more ticking damage, right?)

As far as ignis goes can someone answer my original question? Based on what im finding on warframe builder, it has a hard time doing damage...like gas ignis does 14k sustained against infested, then 6-9k sustained to corpus/grineer. Where is this damage coming from that people recommend ignis so strongly with saryn? Seems like it would be 100% useless against high level enemies, especially if they arent infested. Do the spores make up for the weapons lack of dps?

Im fairly new to the game, so im a bit short on forma and catalysts, so I cant really test the ignis as i would like. I appreciate the help im getting, sorry for all the questions lol

Edited by Omola

AOE can pop spores, and killing enemies instantly pops remaining spores for a reduced spread radius. Gas is used to spread toxin to nearby enemies that are getting infected anyway, so the added toxin bonus is pretty much guaranteed on the next pop. The damage from ignis probably comes from the fact that it can be modded for pure gas, reducing the chance for a wrong proc, and maximizing the bonus added to spores. I personally just use hikou p for spreading and switch back to primary when I need to. Saryn's goal in a team isn't to be the main killer, just to soften up mobs to make things easier for everyone else.