Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lotus Phraseology Problems...

magusat999

1. Lotus says, when speaking about the RESOURCE CACHE:

"ReZource Cache"

Pronouncing the "S" in Resource like a "Z", sounds really off.

2. (Sabotage mission message) Lotus says:

"The enemy ARE using a Void Key".

"Are" in this sentence is not only incorrect, as it applies to a plural (enemies) it also sounds wrong when it is said. The correct phrase is:

"The enemy IS using a Void Key"".

OR

"The ENEMIES ARE using a Void Key".

3. Telling us to "Get ready" - or any use of the word "get":

Lotus pronounces "get" as "gat". (At first its not a bother, but after 50,000 times hearing that...). "Get" ryhmes with "met", "pet", and Boba-Fet... "Get" does not rhyme with "mat", "pat", and "chinny-chin-strap"...

Edited by magusat999

53 minutes ago, magusat999 said:

1. Lotus says, when speaking about the RESOURCE CACHE:

"ReZource Cache"

Pronouncing the "S" in Resource like a "Z", sounds really off.

That's not exactly true. Dictionaries, including Cambridge Dictionary gives both forms of pronunciation as correct. Also remember that Rebecca is Canadian and, as far as I know, it's the normal, common way of pronunciation there.

Edited by Lijka

1 hour ago, Lijka said:

That's not exactly true. Dictionaries, including Cambridge Dictionary gives both forms of pronunciation as correct. Also remember that Rebecca is Canadian and, as far as I know, it's the normal, common way of pronunciation there.

Well I looked it up and truly there is the "British English" pronunciation of the word. Which is "re-zource". Probem is:

1) The British English uses a short "e" in the first part of resource. Lotus has a long, lazy "e", as in the word "decent". The British English pronounciation uses a quick, short "e" sound, as in the first syllable "i" sound in "distance". The British English is more like "reh-zource", While Lotus says "ree-zource" So it doesn't sound like she is speaking British English at all - sounds like she is just mis-pronouncing the American English version of the word - or is trying to fit the British pronunciation in a sentence where it does not fit. Which brings us to...

2) There is no other "British English" traces in Lotus' speaking patterns. Her sentences, structures, phrases, colloquialisms,  catch phrases, etc. are all American English sounding. So throwing in British English just sounds wonky. If her entire accent was British English, then yes, we could just say that she is speaking British English and forget it - but she doesn't - so it isn't "how she speaks", its an error. There isn't a trace of British English in her phraseology, except for the occasional attempt to pronounce a word like that - you have to surround what you say with context, and Lotus does not have any context to support the notion that her mis-pronunciations are a result of a different form of English. Maybe whomever did the voice-over thought it would be cute or unique - but it just sounds silly and contrived.

Long lazy "e" as you describe it is in fact an i:, which is long i/e (hard to type the pronunciation without actually transcribing the words). Which leads to the conclusion that the way Lotus pronounces "resource" is neither RP British, nor "official" American English.

We can only assume it's either Canadian English (which I believe is Rebecca's native language) and it's possible it's pronounced this way in Canada, or it's simply her idiolect. If you look at it that way it no longer sounds silly and contrived, does it? I mean you can't really judge someone's pronunciation of what is possibly their native language, which I assume is not yours at the same time, unless you too are from Canada. That's even without considering local dialects.

I can't give you example of how I pronounce it since I am not an English native speaker however I asked my husband to ponounce "resource" without giving him a reason. He pronounced it in American way despite being a born and bred Londoner and speaking British English even if not RP British. This is sadly something you will have to (or not) take my word on. Still, my point is that it's not unheard of, or not even uncommon to hear one speak one language with some mix of another, versions of English in this case. Or even regionalisation which rarely is a conscious thing.

Here's hoping that Rebecca will comment on it herself.

As for the "enemy is" or "enemy are", it's a collective noun and as such is usually used with a singular verb. However, when the reference is made to collection of individual people rather than group as a unit, it's perfectly acceptable to use plural verb. For example "the crew of sinking ship were rescued". Thus, at least in British English, "the enemy are using" is perfectly fine. Again, I have no knowledge of Canadian usage.

Edited by Lijka