The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe Freezing At Random, Sound Still Playing?

Cat__Nap

So my friend has been having this issue since he came back to the game last week. At random, he'll freeze up in a mission, and it won't unfreeze. His screen is frozen in whatever picture he was seeing right as it happened, but he can still hear everything, and pressing keys still moves him around and lets him use skills and such - he just can't see it. He ends up having to restart every time.

Sometimes he can get through a mission without this happening, but sometimes it'll happen 2-4 times in a row within minutes of each other. It's very frustrating, and we've both tried looking for solutions, but can't find anything that seems to fit what's happening to him. Once it happened again right as he was loading back in after having to kill the client - it seems to be completely random when it hits, and I've seen him freeze in infested maps, in void maps, grinneer, etc, and haven't noticed any particular location or surrounding that does always freeze him.

He plays other games just fine without any issue. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas on what could be causing it? We're completely stumped, and it's very frustrating for him to freeze at completely random times and have to risk losing mission progress.

Edited by Catoriii

I am also running into this issue, has he been able to find a fix for this? I want to be able to play the game I enjoy but if it keeps doing this I may just leave till I can find a fix.

When doing performance bug report I would suggest to write down the system specs and connection speeds. It might help to narrow down the problem.

Without system specs I would say it's a sum of low end computer and connectivity issue. Have you tried with a host that has good and reliable internet connection?

The reason why I say this is that I've encountered similar issue - thought the screen did not freeze literally but I could not move my character or rotate the screen. I still could see things going on in my screen and write to chat and this happened upon death in a sortie mission. I Got viral proc which didn't lower the health so I didn't use molt. Instead I died bit later instantly which rendered the character standing stationary and not able to move (in my side of the screen). The enemies just ran past me.

This was 1 and 1/2 months ago and haven't experienced similar issues after limiting my ping to 175. I run fiber connection 100/10 and by the standards of computer manufacturers my Desktop PC is notch lower than a mediocre gaming rig (i5-4690K @ 3.5 Ghz + gtx960 4Gb + 16gb ram + 2x SSD).

So here is how my screen freeze looks like. 

Edited by carnaga

5 hours ago, carnaga said:

When doing performance bug report I would suggest to write down the system specs and connection speeds. It might help to narrow down the problem.

Without system specs I would say it's a sum of low end computer and connectivity issue. Have you tried with a host that has good and reliable internet connection?

The reason why I say this is that I've encountered similar issue - thought the screen did not freeze literally but I could not move my character or rotate the screen. I still could see things going on in my screen and write to chat and this happened upon death in a sortie mission. I Got viral proc which didn't lower the health so I didn't use molt. Instead I died bit later instantly which rendered the character standing stationary and not able to move (in my side of the screen). The enemies just ran past me.

This was 1 and 1/2 months ago and haven't experienced similar issues after limiting my ping to 175. I run fiber connection 100/10 and by the standards of computer manufacturers my Desktop PC is notch lower than a mediocre gaming rig (i5-4690K @ 3.5 Ghz + gtx960 4Gb + 16gb ram + 2x SSD).

So here is how my screen freeze looks like. 

Internet speed is 300/30 ( Or what i'm paying for at least )

GPU GTX960 4GB

CPU AMD Athlon X4 860k @4GHz

RAM 16GB

1 HDD and 1 SSD

I mean my computer isn't super low end but it is still capable of running warframe at 60fps pretty smoothly up until a month ago when I started having infrequent screen lock ups, as in it just leaves a still image on my screen even though I can hear it still running and still able to use skills and things, then it just progressively worse up until today where it would lock up every 5 minutes, causing me to alt f4 the sucker, when i was running sortie missions. I noticed that by turning off dynamic light i haven't had the issue anymore.. but this could be a fluke so I want to find a better fix as I want to enjoy warframe to the fullest potential of my machine.

Edited by iKhon

57 minutes ago, iKhon said:

Internet speed is 300/30 ( Or what i'm paying for at least )

GPU GTX960 4GB

CPU AMD Athlon X4 860k @4GHz

RAM 16GB

1 HDD and 1 SSD

I mean my computer isn't super low end but it is still capable of running warframe at 60fps pretty smoothly up until a month ago when I started having infrequent screen lock ups, as in it just leaves a still image on my screen even though I can hear it still running and still able to use skills and things, then it just progressively worse up until today where it would lock up every 5 minutes, causing me to alt f4 the sucker, when i was running sortie missions. I noticed that by turning off dynamic light i haven't had the issue anymore.. but this could be a fluke so I want to find a better fix as I want to enjoy warframe to the fullest potential of my machine.

People are having some problems with nVidia. It's kinda common issue. What drivers you use? You may want to upgrade/downgrade the drivers to some other version. You can check some issues users are reporting in nVidia Forums - specially the feedback sticky threads.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers/

Myself I'm running v. 365.10 aka Overwatch/Paragon drivers. I used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller from Guru3D) before installing it which is also favored by nVidia forum users.

Month ago I had some issues with my computer and I narrowed it down to memory controller and PSU. My previous one was pretty old Enermax 500W and I bought Crucial 650W. It solved some of the things and crashes but the main problem was with bios where all settings were automatic. Thanks to Tom's Hardware forums I realized that I needed to manually set  +0.05v to my DRAM. Memory Controller errors are quite common when running 4 memory modules which strains the MC chip bit more than running 2 memory modules. Changing the voltage forced the memory modules to be for real @1600 mhz which is more compatible and stable with my mobo. In my case it solved all issues I was experiencing.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1811018/memory-management-bsod-memtest-errors.html

Also some people who have had problems with nVidia and Warframe - they have been solved by decreasing the GPU Core Clock and Memory Clock by -100. You may want to check this thread out and specially the problems described in page 2.

Edit: If you are unsure about these, you can always contact DE support and send them dxdiag.txt and warframes ee.log files as attachments with a proper description. They can narrow down is the problem in warframe. Just play the game, once you get a new freeze/crash, there is the needed data in ee.log.

Edited by carnaga

Connectivity issues have nothing to do with it. I host with 100MB/s internet (and actually get speeds around 150-172mb/s) every time we play together. I get literally 16-20 ping with my connection. He also used to play Warframe with no issue - hasn't changed hardware at all, though he does have NVidia, just like he always has.

On 5/5/2016 at 7:12 PM, Catoriii said:

Connectivity issues have nothing to do with it. I host with 100MB/s internet (and actually get speeds around 150-172mb/s) every time we play together. I get literally 16-20 ping with my connection. He also used to play Warframe with no issue - hasn't changed hardware at all, though he does have NVidia, just like he always has.

I get 8 ms ping to closest servers and I get full rate. To UK I get full rate and 50 ms ping. But when we take Los Angeles, CA, US, which is located geographically in other continent behind several switchboards and subterranian and terranian cables and 9012 km from me, the bandwidth suffers. And all is related to the distance, stuff in-between and the capabilities of the server: can it even upload data with 100mbps.

CAMf8F7.png

And as warframe being p2p game we have wide variety of different connection types from 54 kbps metered connections to optic fiber. So if you join a host that can't host, you see lots of weird stuff going on. So the most important part here is to narrow down the problem and describe all vital things which might cause the issue.

For example: if I use Bluetooth/wireless Headset with warframe and if it loses connection the game crashes.
https://forums.warframe.com/topic/624295-warframes-stops-respondingcrashes-upon-removal-of-wireless-headphone-receiver/

Or if I plug out the internet cable, wait about 1-2 minutes and go to solarmap and start a 4 man game the game crashes (thought this has been fixed and now it returns you directly to login screen).

Best solution here would be: play the game with your friend as you being the host (put the session to invite only and invite your friend). When your friend experiences the crash - there is your needed info in EE.log file. Quit the game and locate EE.log file saved by warframe. Your friend need to do this too. Save also the dxdiag.txt files from both computers and send them (total of 4 files with description which file is from who's computer) to digital extremes support.

From dxdiag.txt they can see your computer system specs, attached peripherals, network cards, virtual network devices and specifications which might cause a conflict. And from the EE.log files from the host (you) and the client (your friend) they can see what warframe was doing on the particular moment when the freeze happens and they can pretty easily see is the issue related to connectivity and/or hardware or is it a sum of both.

What I believe with the information you have given (which isn't much) I suspect nVidia drivers.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers/

Edit: about a year ago I experienced similar issue when I was playing in LAN with my friend. All ports were forwarded properly from the router and software firewall. Friend used ports 4950-4955 and me 4960-4965 (in-game settings). I was the host as I had a desktop computer (friend had a laptop). I did the thing above and DE support went through our systems from the log files. It appeared that my vmware virtual network device was causing some compatibility issues with warframe causing my friend occasionally to lose the connection to my game instance and bit rarely crashing/freezing. By the advice of DE support, when I disabled the virtual network adapter from my system all started to work smoothly. The issue was not with my friends laptop, but with my computer.

Edited by carnaga