Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions on DOOM?

izzatuw

I got it running last night on my PC and played for about 45 minutes.  Can't really comment on how "good" the game will really be, but the action, movement and graphics were superb.  Also, the game is always in sprint mode and you press the "shift key" to walk instead.  hehehe.

My PC isn't the latest and greatest.  just did a CPU and mobo upgrade.  6700k, z170...  and I have two GTX 780s in SLI.  (Something to note though, some people say SLI doesn't work well on OpenGL.)  Silky smooth at 1080p.

There's an option to change the "internal rendering resolution" while still outputting to native resolution.  Interestingly enough I thought it would look like @$$ doing so, but I set mine to about 80% of actual resolution to kick framerates up while having all detail maxed out.  Still looks fantastic though, with some film grain and sharpening.  I've seen people with mid range cards like GTX 960 doing quite well with this game.

What kind of set up you running?

EDIT:  also if you're gonna get it for PC, do yourself a favor and check slickdeals.net for better pricing.  I got a copy from cdkeys for like $32 with multiplayer DLC.  (not season pass though.)

Edited by sushidubya

Gameplay is great and fun, campaign is good so far, I'm 5 or 6 missions in. The multiplayer is fun as hell, and I haven't tried snapmap yet, but it looks promising. All in all, it's worth the buy.

3 hours ago, Completionist said:

The multiplayer will just be another shotgun showdown like Destiny and BF4.

Tell that to my Vortex Rifle.

And who uses a shotty in BF4? (Unless you're referring to Locker Losers)

1 hour ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

Gameplay is great and fun, campaign is good so far, I'm 5 or 6 missions in. The multiplayer is fun as hell, and I haven't tried snapmap yet, but it looks promising. All in all, it's worth the buy.

Tell that to my Vortex Rifle.

And who uses a shotty in BF4? (Unless you're referring to Locker Losers)

Pretty much that, I have very distasteful players that like to hide in the train cars with the shotty. The shotguns shoot a mile away lol. It's a little aggravating =p

6 hours ago, sushidubya said:

I got it running last night on my PC and played for about 45 minutes.  Can't really comment on how "good" the game will really be, but the action, movement and graphics were superb.  Also, the game is always in sprint mode and you press the "shift key" to walk instead.  hehehe.

My PC isn't the latest and greatest.  just did a CPU and mobo upgrade.  6700k, z170...  and I have two GTX 780s in SLI.  (Something to note though, some people say SLI doesn't work well on OpenGL.)  Silky smooth at 1080p.

There's an option to change the "internal rendering resolution" while still outputting to native resolution.  Interestingly enough I thought it would look like @$$ doing so, but I set mine to about 80% of actual resolution to kick framerates up while having all detail maxed out.  Still looks fantastic though, with some film grain and sharpening.  I've seen people with mid range cards like GTX 960 doing quite well with this game.

What kind of set up you running?

EDIT:  also if you're gonna get it for PC, do yourself a favor and check slickdeals.net for better pricing.  I got a copy from cdkeys for like $32 with multiplayer DLC.  (not season pass though.)

Eh I got an outdated AMD 7750 which is really the only thing bottlenecking me. Got an i5 3.00 ghz which should last a while longer.

8 minutes ago, SaurusRex said:

DooM you say?

Gosh this game is so darn tricky!

Top notch gaming from Polygon. Quality journalism.

(Trigger warning: The person playing is awful beyond belief)

I gotcha covered

4 hours ago, izzatuw said:

Eh I got an outdated AMD 7750 which is really the only thing bottlenecking me. Got an i5 3.00 ghz which should last a while longer.

Your i5 will be ok.  It's not a very CPU limited title.   While AMD gfx cards are a bit slower in OpenGL titles, I've read reports that the 7950 can handle this game.  (From a hardware site I visit.). 7750 isn't so different from 7950.  How much VRAM you have?  Also if you don't mind playing at a lower res you can set it to 720p.  Another option is to stay at 1080p and have the game internally render at a lower res.  it's quite clever and still looks very good when doing that.

if you're curious and want to play I say go for it.  Played for about two hours tonight and it was amazing fun.  Also there's going to be another graphics API soon for Doom called Vulkan and AMD cards should handle that much better than with OpenGL.  Can't wait for Vulkan myself.  Supposed to improve performance quite a bit.

I can see myself playing the campaign a few times more after I complete this game.

3 hours ago, sushidubya said:

Your i5 will be ok.  It's not a very CPU limited title.   While AMD gfx cards are a bit slower in OpenGL titles, I've read reports that the 7950 can handle this game.  (From a hardware site I visit.). 7750 isn't so different from 7950.  How much VRAM you have?  Also if you don't mind playing at a lower res you can set it to 720p.  Another option is to stay at 1080p and have the game internally render at a lower res.  it's quite clever and still looks very good when doing that.

if you're curious and want to play I say go for it.  Played for about two hours tonight and it was amazing fun.  Also there's going to be another graphics API soon for Doom called Vulkan and AMD cards should handle that much better than with OpenGL.  Can't wait for Vulkan myself.  Supposed to improve performance quite a bit.

I can see myself playing the campaign a few times more after I complete this game.

It's only 1GB Vram and heard Doom is pretty intense in that regards.

i was able to play FO4 on low 40-60FPS and GTA around 50FPS at low.