Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Persistent Ammo.

Liminal

I came up with an idea (that will most definitely never be implemented) which seemed decent enough to post in here.

How about having an ammo reserve of each kind for our accounts? Something like this:
You have 14000 rifle rounds, 5000 shotgun rounds, etc. in your inventory.

You can take only what your current weapon capacity on each mission (so ingame things stay mostly the same).

You can buy ammo for credits from your inventory screen.

Ammo drops you pick up during a mission when you are maxed out give you 1/2 or 1/4 of the ammo they'd normally give you but it goes straight into your reserve.

If you run out of reserve ammo you drop with an empty gun.

Now, this would be a pretty tame credit sink, plus it would help my OCD by letting me pick up ALL ammo on the floor, but I think we should also be able to use ammo to craft stuff. Simply put,: add an icon to ammo and make it into a new resource. One that isn't cluttering all other resources loot tables.

(Maybe use it to craft ammo boxes?)

Edited by The_Doc

Heh interesting Idea, I like it. Games like armored core had a slightly different approach where the cost of ammunition used during the mission is removed from your reward credits upon completion (obviously a reasonably low cost). This would encourage a player to take more care in aiming before shooting.

I came up with an idea (that will most definitely never be implemented) which seemed decent enough to post in here.

How about having an ammo reserve of each kind for our accounts? Something like this:

You have 14000 rifle rounds, 5000 shotgun rounds, etc. in your inventory.

You can take only what your current weapon capacity on each mission (so ingame things stay mostly the same).

You can buy ammo for credits from your inventory screen.

Ammo drops you pick up during a mission when you are maxed out give you 1/2 or 1/4 of the ammo they'd normally give you but it goes straight into your reserve.

If you run out of reserve ammo you drop with an empty gun.

Now, this would be a pretty tame credit sink, plus it would help my OCD by letting me pick up ALL ammo on the floor, but I think we should also be able to use ammo to craft stuff. Simply put,: add an icon to ammo and make it into a new resource. One that isn't cluttering all other resources loot tables.

(Maybe use it to craft ammo boxes?)

They have a mod for that, to increase ammo capacity. It doesnt increase it very much for rifle ammo though.

Unless you mean having to pay all the time for more ammo to bring with ya. Might be a good idea to sink credits into, as long as ammo wasnt that expensive to replinish. With that same idea though you might also have to pay for repairs, more for taking more damage or dying more. Not really sure if people would be on board with either of those ideas though. Personally, I think people should need a usable item to revive others to full health. You seem to hold something out that shoots out green mist or something of course. Speaking of which, why cant I heal someone who's injured but not about to die, only people who have been incapacitated? And if I can help someone else get up, why cant I do something to get myself up?

*shrugs* It depends on how in depth DE wanted to get. My guess? Not very...

No idea, but I wager Gradakakkakakaka and Afuris users will be screaming for blood at the cost of those guns blowing through ammo.

Well, ammo shouldn't be particularly expensive!

Besides, you could pick up orange ammo drops even when topped off... that could help replenishing your reserves.

I can't say I would particularly like a system like ammo farming, however I would like an RNG map event like cryo and self destruct where your Tenno moves to his next mission hastily and without the time to fully prepare. 

In effect, you would have no magazines left for your primary and secondary weapons, and a random percentage between 50-100% of the clip size left in your guns.

Well, ammo shouldn't be particularly expensive!

Besides, you could pick up orange ammo drops even when topped off... that could help replenishing your reserves.

If you are a Latron user then yes. 

Grakata users typically carry 8 ammo boxes to fuel their gun because picks up cannot sustain the ammo consumption they are throwing. 

That thing does 9 damage unmodded with a ROF of 20.

With an ROF of 20, you are going to pull a lot of hurt on your ammo bins.

Unless the maximum ammo differs from gun to gun, it favours the use of specific guns other others for no particular reason, other than to discourage use of the grakata, viper, twin viper, ignis, flux rifle, supra, etc; as well as make +fire speed mods redundant.

I have seen this system before in another MMO, and I can say confidently that I'm not a fan of it at all. That's a money-sink on the level of time-based weapons. It would put people into the mindset of efficency even if they aren't conciously thinking about it, making them waste less bullets. Of course, different people will have different levels of reaction, but this is still a negative effect overall.

When you're unloading thousands and thousands of bullets every run, you don't want to have to think about your ammo supply between every mission. Though everyone will usually keep themselves stocked up, what happens if you forget? You're stuck with an empty gun so you'll either have to bite the bullet--and potentially get your entire team killed--or quit the run and leave everyone else in the lurch while you go get more ammo and join a new run with a new squad. Yeah, you can pick up ammo during the mission, but you'll still be artifically handicapped until then.

This just doesn't have much merit for all the negative effects it will have on the player and the community. This isn't really a new idea in the MMO world, and I have always seen it as annoying. It's like having to worry about not using a specific limit of electricity every month ~_~. It's something you don't want to think about.

Unless the maximum ammo differs from gun to gun, it favours the use of specific guns other others for no particular reason, other than to discourage use of the grakata, viper, twin viper, ignis, flux rifle, supra, etc; as well as make +fire speed mods redundant.

Well, not exactly. It just makes extended use over several missions cost some credits.

And the issue with the Grakata is the weapon itself imo :P

Well, not exactly. It just makes extended use over several missions cost some credits.

And the issue with the Grakata is the weapon itself imo :P

Because it makes perfect sense that 1 rocket for a rocket launcher costs the same as one bullet for a machine gun =.=

The entire ammo system would have to be reworked for this idea to be feasible...

I can't say I would particularly like a system like ammo farming, however I would like an RNG map event like cryo and self destruct where your Tenno moves to his next mission hastily and without the time to fully prepare. 

In effect, you would have no magazines left for your primary and secondary weapons, and a random percentage between 50-100% of the clip size left in your guns.

Give me a bonus mod, and increased credit and XP reward and that idea sounds reasonable.

Because it makes perfect sense that 1 rocket for a rocket launcher costs the same as one bullet for a machine gun =.=

The entire ammo system would have to be reworked for this idea to be feasible...

I do agree with that. In fact, I think the whole ammo system needs to be reworked (not only for this idea).