Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arrows, And Hands, And Bows, Oh My!

CharlesSnippy

I feel that this would be a great addition to the game. I fell like the damage should be relatively easy to figure too. The longer the fire button is held, the lower the firing rate, but the higher the damage output, and rapid clicks would result in several arrows in short succession doing relatively less damage. The charge reload suggested earlier would work well to this end as well.

With a few tweaks, this could potentially be implemented on all bows, but there could be a specific "fast bow" which has a lower overall damage per hit, but a higher fire rate. (to be similar to the bows shown in OP's video, which had a draw strength of 30 and 35 pounds. High enough to do damage, low enough for rapid fire, and definitely nowhere near the potential of a heavy pull longbow, in terms of penetration power or range)

I feel that this would be a great addition to the game. I fell like the damage should be relatively easy to figure too. The longer the fire button is held, the lower the firing rate, but the higher the damage output, and rapid clicks would result in several arrows in short succession doing relatively less damage. The charge reload suggested earlier would work well to this end as well.

With a few tweaks, this could potentially be implemented on all bows, but there could be a specific "fast bow" which has a lower overall damage per hit, but a higher fire rate. (to be similar to the bows shown in OP's video, which had a draw strength of 30 and 35 pounds. High enough to do damage, low enough for rapid fire, and definitely nowhere near the potential of a heavy pull longbow, in terms of penetration power or range)

I hadn't thought of that, neat.

what if they made a shortbow with a quick pull animation and a quick reload animation that does decent damage somewhere in the range of the Paris but to balance they'd probably have to remove the innate armor ignore or something

what if they made a shortbow with a quick pull animation and a quick reload animation that does decent damage somewhere in the range of the Paris but to balance they'd probably have to remove the innate armor ignore or something

It's less about the output and more about the feel. The rate of fire on these bows is already fast, I'm suggesting an entirely different way of firing and reloading the bow. That's why I included the video as reference. Since you can already somewhat rapid fire the bows by not waiting for charge. It just doesn't feel like how Lars fires his.

Wait, DE unlocked it? Thanks? I'm not sure what to post here, I'm only really revisiting this to keep it in the devs eyes till I can find some way to ask them about it in a livestream. Rebecca, what's the official policy for asking questions in PM's. As in, can I ask you about whether you are considering this (or are even aware of it). So long as I know for sure that it's been seen and wasn't locked by an automatic system I'll be happy to let the thread fade into the lower pages. Though if you have a bow idea and don't want to make a thread of your own, be sure to post it here, it'll make the thread more of a conversation and less of one crazy guy mumbling to himself.

But crazy people are sexy! At least, that's what I tell myself when I can't get a date...

This suggestion though, I like it. The simple change of adding an actual clip size to bows would be huge, and I agree that it wouldn't require much balancing beyond the already implemented charge function.

If you're charging each arrow, there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in fire rate or DPS. But if you're just tapping, fire rate would increase greatly, while DPS would be only slightly higher.

So, support for this.

I really like the idea of this and the crossbow is really great idea for a weapon, but a crossbow that I would use is the crossbow from the movie "Van Hellsing" I mean did you see the way it shots like a machine gun thats truly a good choice for a crossbow weapon and imagen the (Van Hellsing) crossbow mix with warframe alien style now that would be awesome

I don't think bows needs any downside for having clip of 3 or 5. Bows are snipers, but arrows fly in arc and slower than bullets, needing much more skill than guns at long range. I imagine having clip would make bows more useful in close and mid-range. Bows still use super-rare sniper ammo, stopping people from just firing arrows everywhere.

I doubt the force of the arrows fired in the video.  Some times they fail to penetrate the targets he's shooting at, other times they stick but with very little penetration.  In short, ancient byzantines don't need a lot of force behind their shots to break skin and cripple, but by the time of the crusades there were serious armor penetration problems to the point that Christian knights wearing heavy felt could shrug off the vast majority of shots.

Granted this is all sci-fi, but the bows and styles being implimented reflect single, high power, accuracy required weapons.  Not rapid fire "just put more arrows down range and hope for the best" ancient methods.

I doubt the force of the arrows fired in the video.  Some times they fail to penetrate the targets he's shooting at, other times they stick but with very little penetration.  In short, ancient byzantines don't need a lot of force behind their shots to break skin and cripple, but by the time of the crusades there were serious armor penetration problems to the point that Christian knights wearing heavy felt could shrug off the vast majority of shots.

Granted this is all sci-fi, but the bows and styles being implimented reflect single, high power, accuracy required weapons.  Not rapid fire "just put more arrows down range and hope for the best" ancient methods.

Those same rapid fire methods did allow him to penetrate chain mail. The arrow firing technique actually has little effect on the strength of the shot, the bows draw weight and how far the bow is drawn for a specific shot is what matters, and given that we are physically enhanced space ninjas, I don't think it would take very long to bring the bow to full draw. That said, you make a good point, so I hope DE considers it if they ever actually see this thread.

That would be true, if it weren't for mods. With my max level (Not supercharged yet) Paris, I can snap shot by clicking once and kill anything short of a level 40 heavy gunner. The number of shots I can fire in a minute is only limited by how fast he draws the arrows from the quiver.