The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Synergy [OOC, rules, questions, and miscellany]

Yzjdriel

On 9/26/2016 at 4:07 PM, (XB1)chillichillman said:

Real quick before the confusion: the slip-space jump happened from the orbiter using brute force to break the light barrier.  if you ever played any halo games, then you know what I'm talking about.  also, this is extremely realistic, because in my supported opinion, light barrier=sound barrier.

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

light barrier equals sound barrier???

I can't even BEGIN to describe how wrong you are.

Ignoring the fact that the sound barrier is very easily broken, whereas the light barrier quite literally cannot be surpassed with conventional propulsion (because, obviously, FTL exists in the Warframe 'verse, making that point moot), comparing the two and implying that passing one would produce a similar effect to passing the other is asinine.

Given actual science and the way that the light barrier is bypassed in the Warframe 'verse (which, by the way, has absolutely nothing to do with passing the sound barrier, since you're not actually traveling the full distance between two points (the same way Star Trek's Warp Drive bypasses most of conventional space) ), the only thing that would happen as a result of a ship dropping out of FTL would be the displacement of anything that happened to be in the way of the incoming ship reappearing in normal space, like when something teleports (because that's what you're essentially doing when you use a Fold Engine or a Solar Rail).

So, "slip-space" debauchery?  Sorry, but no.  That's just simply not even remotely close to scientifically accurate, even if we take for granted the ability to travel faster than light (from a non-inertial frame of reference).

You cannot 'brute-force' the light barrier.  That's simply not how science works.

And even if we were to use your Halo-themed theory, that's STILL not how Slipstream Space works.  Go ahead, look it up.

And no, backpedaling to a sound barrier shockwave won't do either in this case.  There isn't enough matter in space to produce one.

It's a BIG pet peeve of mine when people try and do something that even pseudoscience can't support, so I'm sorry: no offense meant, but I'm calling BS on this one.

TL;DR

Spoiler

NO.  Just, no.  Your "science" is bad, and you should feel bad.

Okay, deep breaths.  Phew.  Okay.  I think I'm done for now.

Brute force the li. . . what? Warframe ftl uses a variant of the rip drive (thank you S.O.T.S. for being so "nerdly" educational). Basically, in order to speed up travel throughout an area of space, one crudely "rips" a hole in existance, travels to a parallel "elsewhere" of sorts, sets a timer on an onboard computer, and then travels in a specific direction that roughly corresponds to a specific desired direction. Once the timers up, the drive rips yet another hole back into reality as we know it and one of three things happens. 1) you pancake the entire ship as you emerge into a celestial body nose first, 2) you arrive in a roughly correspondent location give or take a few miles/par-secs (it's a RIP drive, it's to be expected) or 3) arrive at your destination months or decades later (goddem time dilution). This has been "Tales. . . Of. . . Interest"!

24 minutes ago, -Platinum- said:

Oh boy here we go, we don't need "Halo", of all god damm, games, good god...I feel like being sick right now.

I whuold look up things before you think Halo, is your saving grace of facts, have you played mass effect?, Elite Dagnours?, Start Citizen?, Space program games?.

Eh, that's multiple species of ftl drive Suh/mam. Mass Effect= Gravity Bender, Elite Dangerous= Alcubirre, Star Citizen= Wormhole, and Kerbal goes from chemical to atomic blast.

4 minutes ago, Unus said:

College is currently consuming his soul sir. Swhat he told me when I asked.

Damm..

I feel bad, I don;t have any of that, anymore (Even tho I spell like a idiot). Looking for a job is painful.

Also, Im a little busy atm, so responds will be a tat-bit slow.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere before, but additional lore on Synergy and the characters in it can be found at our Clan's website by clicking the following buttons:

• Chronicle is from Ryoko's perspective.
  • Darrin's Discourse is obviously from Darrin's perspective.
  • Apologia is from Richard's perspective.

The strongest weapon is a list of allies.

2 minutes ago, Unus said:

Wait, was there a third creator in this whole Synergy universe?

Indeed.  Deinonychus1 writes for Darrin, and he, Rakawan, and I built the universe.  It actually started as a project of Dein and Rak only, and I started writing when I met them.