The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Damage Reduction Mechanic. [Concept]

LJumpStarTD

So far, we have a few defensive mechanics to help us survive: 
1. Estimate the bullet's trajectory & deflect it with melee weapons (Which we should be able to do even out of melee mode... But meh) 
2. Some frames have innate high Health & Shields. 
3. Some have very high armor. 
4. Some run very fast.

So, I thought up of a few really awesome ideas of a damage reduction mechanic help us survive better or make the game harder...

1> WARD  

Every frame has an innate chance to have attacks (bullets or melee) COMPLETELY miss them.
Like every frame having armor to start off, only that in some frames the armor is a lot higher, but in some the armor is low. 
Likewise for this one, only that the squishy-er frames will have a slightly higher chance. 

First, we need to understand a few things...
Enemy accuracy depends on a few factors, to name a few: 
- Movement (Sprinting, sliding, jumping,..), the enemy accuracy decreases. [Mesa update, if I remember right]
- Range also affects the accuracy. (e.g. Ballistas will have lower accuracy the closer you are, Seekers will have lower accuracy the further you are) [Wiki]

Now, Ward mechanic does 3 things:
1. Further increases the decrease in enemy accuracy according to the scenario. (Like moving fast or standing further from a Seeker)
2. Decreases the increase in enemy accuracy according to the scenario. (Like standing or standing closer to a Seeker)
3. Gives a chance for attacks to MISS you even when STANDING.  

Now having said this, Ward chance must have a limit, or every enemy will become a Storm Trooper. 

Example Scenarios:

Spoiler

Enemy: Seeker using Kraken.
You are ASH.
EXAMPLE 1 Accuracy variation Without Ward: 
- You're Standing -- 100% at 5m, 95% at 10m, 80% at 15m, 65% at 20m
- You're moving (At constant 5m) -- 90% when walking, 75% when sprinting, 60% when sliding/jumping. 

EXAMPLE 2 Accuracy variation with Ward chance of 1%:
- You're standing -- 99% at 5m, 94.08% at 10m, 79.2% at 15m, 64.35% at 20m 
- You're moving (At constant 5m) -- 89.1% when walking, 74.25% when sprinting, 59.4% when sliding/jumping. 

EXAMPLE 3 Accuracy variation with Ward chance of 10%:
- You're standing -- 90% at 5m, 85.5% at 10m, 72% at 15m, 58.5% at 20m 
- You're moving (At constant 5m) -- 81% when walking, 67.5% when sprinting, 54% when sliding/jumping. 

Note 1: ALL CHANGES ARE MULTIPLICATIVE. 
Note 2: THESE ARE ONLY EXAMPLES. 

A few examples to which frames this should have higher Ward chance, in no particular order: 
1. Limbo 
2. Nezha
3. Nyx
4. Banshee
5. Loki
6. Ash (Maybe a bit)

What this does, is that it gives ALL frames an increased chance to survive, especially the squishy ones at late game. 
Basically most of those with low armor, but some should have lower/very low Ward chance: Like Nova, she's a glass cannon. 
Those with high armor, should have very low Ward chance. 

(IN STORY EXPLANATION - In the future, Advanced suits are able to emit near-undetectable waves that can throw-off enemy aiming devices that causes a slight deviation in every shot they take. This gives the wearer better survivability especailly when surrounded by foes from all angles.) 

2> Quick-block 

If we can have quick-melee, we should have Quick-block. 

The damage reduction would be lower than that when using it in Melee Mode. 

Button : Block button must be held to block. 

To provide some feedback. 
Thanks if you've read through it.

Edited by LJumpStarTD

Built-in evasion sounds good, but what button to use for quick block? Holding right-click is to aim/zoom in, and that is to block when you equip your melee. So if you want to kill while aiming/zoomed in, you'll quick-block like nuts until the enemy actually stops shooting at you.

16 hours ago, (PS4)WiiConquered said:

Ward sounds like an interesting power for one new frame, maybe, but I'm lost as to why it should exist in general.

Why? I just thought it would be nice to have something help us survive better, especially late game where squishy frames die in 3 shots from a Grineer Lancer. 

16 hours ago, Thural said:

so like a built-in evasion?  sounds cool to me

Haha, Nice! 

16 hours ago, LunarEdge7 said:

Built-in evasion sounds good, but what button to use for quick block? Holding right-click is to aim/zoom in, and that is to block when you equip your melee. So if you want to kill while aiming/zoomed in, you'll quick-block like nuts until the enemy actually stops shooting at you.

Hm... You have a point. What about while zooming in, hold shift? It gives off that intense concentration vibe while blocking. Any suggestions?

Edited by LJumpStarTD

2 minutes ago, LJumpStarTD said:

Hm... You have a point. What about while zooming in, hold shift? It gives off that intense concentration vibe while blocking. Any suggestions?

That doesn't sound bad. Holding shift while zooming just makes the frame run and get out of aim, I think. No suggestions atm but that's a good idea.

6 hours ago, LJumpStarTD said:

Why? I just thought it would be nice to have something help us survive better, especially late game where squishy frames die in 3 shots from a Grineer Lancer. 

That seems like an issue with squishy frames that could be rectified by either changing them or endgame enemies. I don't get what this will do that shields, armor, health, movement speed, and blocking don't, and this game has a lot of mechanics already. It seems that you want those things to have a bigger effect for certain frames, so wouldn't it make more sense to buff the frames without adding new mechanics?

On 6/13/2016 at 10:52 PM, (PS4)WiiConquered said:

That seems like an issue with squishy frames that could be rectified by either changing them or endgame enemies. I don't get what this will do that shields, armor, health, movement speed, and blocking don't, and this game has a lot of mechanics already. It seems that you want those things to have a bigger effect for certain frames, so wouldn't it make more sense to buff the frames without adding new mechanics?

You could be right, buffing the frames is one way to go. 

But some of the frames already feel right the way they are. Like casters should stay casters, high power, low armor. If you want to buff them, which aspect will you buff? More armor? More speed? 

I just feel that to retain the uniqueness of the frame & wanting to help them survive slightly better, this mechanic would be a good idea.