Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bandwith Usage For Host [Full Group]

Kossuranta

Before reading, you need to understand this:
B = Byte
b = bit
1 B = 8 b

First of all, I was thinking (ye I know it's dangerous) that hosting for 3 players (4 player group and you are one of them ofc) can't require much bandwith and I thought that even 512KB/s should be enough for host. After thinking some more (extremely dangerous) I realised that in Warframe, besides the enemies, every bit of loot also goes from host to all players (at least I think so) and that really could require some bandwith.

So I wanted to test how much would you need to host and came up with this graph after playing a game as host with three total strangers:
mqz.jpg

For the 7 minute game I played maximum usage of bandwith was 102KB/s and avarage would be around 95KB/s, that is only for Warframe if you have some softwares running on background they could also need some upload.

In theory with 1Mb/s upload you would get 128KB/s, in reality with good connection your speed would be closer to that 100KB/s and most avarage connections wont get even that.

What this means:
With slower than 1Mb/s upload you are not able to host game without it lagging for everyone else, if you can please try to always be member in groups and let someone else host.
With 1Mb/s upload you can host game pretty much always without lag if it's a good one and gets near to theoretical maximum and nothing else is using it at the same time. Game could lag for other players in worst-case scenario.
With 2Mb/s or faster you shouldn't have any problems.

Conclusion:
We need to be able to choose host atleast before mission (mainly voids).
It would be nice to have vote to change host ingame.
It would be awesome if in random groups game would choose host by checking players upload speed and CPU.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

It's not enough to have sufficient upload to host games you will also need fast CPU. Warframe has none/poor support for more than 1 core (at least I believe so) wich means that it requires a lot from that first core.

Edited by Kossuranta

Also, please make sure your PC hardware is up to par for hosting. Having a great connection doesn't mean you're fit to host.

Great post, OP!

With void missions you don't seem to have a choice though. Unless you're soloing it of course.

With void missions you don't seem to have a choice though. Unless you're soloing it of course.

Voids are the only exception, unfortunately.

You usually tend to run with friends when it comes to voids, so you can warn them ahead of time. I've gone through some pretty bad voids myself, but hey, a T3 is a T3!

If you have a 10Ghz p4 then omg that smoothness of the host must rock during voids.

Otherwise pretty much every time,

Solo: enter void with 70fps, leave with 16fps (leaving almost everyone standing)

group of 4; enter void with 50fps, lots of lag, leave with 22fps (they actually kill)

Speaking of strictly raids.

Having a million of enemies to deal with sounds nice, but when all of them run on 1 cpu core, not so much.

DE pls fix the spawn or your game.

How does one make their ISP give them more upload speed? It seems my isp upload is 10% of my DL.  So with 5mb dl I get 0.5mb upload.

Depending on your isp, you can have a chat with their friendly customer support, typically, you would have to upgrade to a business package, but some isp's will work with their standard customers.

@OP perhaps a note at the bottom with your summary noting that you have posted requirements for a stable connection when hosting, not what pc requirements to handle the extra load of hosting a 4 player game.

oh and do you happen to have figures on the total data transmitted? as I know some isp's have dl and ul restrictions

How does one make their ISP give them more upload speed? It seems my isp upload is 10% of my DL.  So with 5mb dl I get 0.5mb upload.

for some stupid reason most ISPs offer ADSL instead of DSL :((( its annoying.

Nice post OP.

I don´t have great IC,but as it is known to me,my team mates have lag only on Kappa/Kiste.

I mostly don´t wanna be the host,but many times there isn´t enough players on my server,so I have to be host.

I would like there is an option to create a game or just join without being the host.Something like in Mass Effect 3 MP.

Depending on your isp, you can have a chat with their friendly customer support, typically, you would have to upgrade to a business package, but some isp's will work with their standard customers.

@OP perhaps a note at the bottom with your summary noting that you have posted requirements for a stable connection when hosting, not what pc requirements to handle the extra load of hosting a 4 player game.

oh and do you happen to have figures on the total data transmitted? as I know some isp's have dl and ul restrictions

Ye gotta edit something at the end, but you can see total data transmitted from that graph too. Total 8MB download and 36MB upload are really close to reality for that ~7min game.

i was planning on doing this myself ... but was affraid with what i could discover :)

Thanks for doing it.

The netcode has to be awfully done if such a high bandwidth is needed  for hosting ...

This is too much. DE has to highly lower it. 40KB/s max should be needed for correct hosting :/

Would love for this issue to be fixed, i dont play with random players anymore becouse of this,..

(and its kinda importent that it actually works without lag in a CO-OP game)

If you can host yourself, just start the mission and wait for others to join in. Don't leave it at the waiting for players, it mostly takes ages to get ppl with that.

If you have a 10Ghz p4 then omg that smoothness of the host must rock during voids.

Otherwise pretty much every time,

Solo: enter void with 70fps, leave with 16fps (leaving almost everyone standing)

group of 4; enter void with 50fps, lots of lag, leave with 22fps (they actually kill)

Speaking of strictly raids.

Having a million of enemies to deal with sounds nice, but when all of them run on 1 cpu core, not so much.

DE pls fix the spawn or your game.

That's why ppl love to do voids with me hosting. 6-core 3.2 ghz and 10mbit up speed XD

also keep in mind hosting for people closer to you will require less bandwith since theres less ping delay between players, so if you and your friends live in the same state, play away!

just dont use a wooden computer, it will stay laggy

Just using upload bandwith for regulation would be dangerous. People with Internet over Satelite have awsome Bandwith but horrible Latency. Both need to be good. Ping =! Bandwith

I can't say if this is right, since i have a fast connection. But i can host 4 Playergames lagless (don't know about void, i'm not that far ingame...) with voip and IPTV at the same time. i Have 1 MBit upspeed

Edit:

@ babalenong but if you can only provide half of the required data in time, your latency is doubled.all other players will have to wait for the information updates, wich will result in lag or desynch

Edit2:

for some stupid reason most ISPs offer ADSL instead of DSL :((( its annoying.

That's a question of infrastructure and cost. In Germany most people have ADSL. SDSL needs a better infrastructure. Countrys with "younger" phone networks are better, because the don't use old atms. For T-Online (primus in germany) it's expensive to upgrade their old infrastructure. There are places where even no dsl exist. Dial Up Connections ftw!

Countrys like India (sorry to say this, but it's true), who haven't been "sophisticated" for generations but are rising since the 80s-90s its easier to just build better infrastructure from the start.
Edited by xXFlippyXx

I know I'm lucky living in a cable connection area, where upload speeds are great. But this is great info, shows that something should be done to the netcode to help people with 0,5M upload speeds actually be able to host games.

Just using upload bandwith for regulation would be dangerous. People with Internet over Satelite have awsome Bandwith but horrible Latency. Both need to be good. Ping =! Bandwith

I can't say if this is right, since i have a fast connection. But i can host 4 Playergames lagless (don't know about void, i'm not that far ingame...) with voip and IPTV at the same time. i Have 1 MBit upspeed

Edit:

@ babalenong but if you can only provide half of the required data in time, your latency is doubled.all other players will have to wait for the information updates, wich will result in lag or desynch

Edit2:

That's a question of infrastructure and cost. In Germany most people have ADSL. SDSL needs a better infrastructure. Countrys with "younger" phone networks are better, because the don't use old atms. For T-Online (primus in germany) it's expensive to upgrade their old infrastructure. There are places where even no dsl exist. Dial Up Connections ftw!

Countrys like India (sorry to say this, but it's true), who haven't been "sophisticated" for generations but are rising since the 80s-90s its easier to just build better infrastructure from the start.

In Croatia we have T-Com(I think it is the same company) and they can provide you fast,modern connection,but for a price of a kidney!

So most people (out of Zagreb) are using standard 4Mb/s down and 512Kb/s up

In Croatia we have T-Com(I think it is the same company) and they can provide you fast,modern connection,but for a price of a kidney!

So most people (out of Zagreb) are using standard 4Mb/s down and 512Kb/s up

it is the same.

t-com are scammers. Have taken them for explanation because they are the biggest not the best. 

but that's what i've said. you can be provided. Here in germany you don't even have the possibility everywhere. Germany has grown to a developing nation in terms of internet connection. it's so pathetic...