The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller vs. Keyboard

ArcaneSnowdrop

Question

What are people's opinions on using a controller versus using a keyboard? I have some trouble with the keyboard because mine is pretty small compared to my fingers, and I think Windows is causing some interface screw (trackpad doesn't always work right, status doesn't always come up) which I think is due to using Bootcamp with a Mac. However, I've seen some players complain about controllers, so what do people think?

Question is, what do you plan to achieve?

Talking in general, the limits of a gaming keyboard and mouse are far beyond what a controller can offer. More precision at aiming, single button-press actions instead of key combinations - if you play several games (especially PvP) these can mean the difference between dominating a match or getting pwned.

In warframe, 99% of the players use AoE weapons, so aim doesn't matter as much, however, doing more stuff at the same time is necessary. For example, i have hotkeyed the gears (team restores, ancient healer specters), so i can activate them instantly - don't know if it is possible with a controller without sacrificing other functions.

Also, i've bound ctrl+space to mouse button 7, so my pinky can rest while i spam bullet jump, and i use mouse 2 for melee - these 2 adjustments made playing much more comfortable. (my pinky started to hurt after ~3 hours of speedrunning, and don't even get me started about melee only runs with a warcry valkyr)

TL:DR:

it is mainly preference, but with mouse and keyboard you can do several things that a controller can't.

it might worth practicing with keyboard on the long run

8 minutes ago, Krumplifej said:

if you play several games (especially PvP) these can mean the difference between dominating a match or getting pwned.

You might find it interesting that I was able to get kills using a controller in conclave my very first time playing Warframe.  This was all while not knowing what was going on and still learning the controls.  :D

There are advantages and drawbacks to each.  Main one for controllers is lack of buttons in comparison to KB+mouse.  Precision aiming thing isn't as big an issue as most will claim.  That also depends on the game.  Hehe, I've freaked out some PC gamers when I told them I use a trackball instead of a mouse (when I don't have the controller option).  That's a story for another time.  :D

In the End it's what you are comfortable with and your preference.  KB+mouse, trackball, trackpad, the Glove, etc.  Happy Hunting Tennos