The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's talk about ridiculously impractical combat maneuvers

Dragxon

1 hour ago, armedpoop said:

What? Thats actually a genuine fighting style tho, you never heard of Capoeira?

Personally, I still think it looks ridiculous[ly awesome]! :P
(I also wasn't aware that there was a specific fighting style that inspired the animations for Brutal Tide)

My favourite will always be the silly 'Life Eater' combo on Homing Fang (single dagger stance), specifically the spinning bits towards the end of it.
I swear your movement is like Sonic the Hedgehog on ice-skates, and I absolutely love it! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, PsychedelicSnake said:
3 hours ago, Berserkerkitten said:

I don't care! It looks cool! I want my stuff to look cool, not realistic! 

Just to play devil's advocate, the OP didn't imply he wanted anything to change, just merely picking apart something more inconspicuous that others like-minded like to poke light fun at. In this case, the startup frames before/during the initial swing of the animation. Although some pointed out it can make sense, but the issue is the main innate speed of the animation that kinda throws it off a tad.
And personally, although not nearly as detailed as other posts in the Feedback subforums (or even those math-intense posts for damage calculations for specific builds), but I do really love these kind of Topics via the nitty-gritty of and dissecting just about anything C;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is more to the post's Topic/OP, but one thing I would like to make is a separate counter-argument to some of the responses here, similar to the second quote on my post. Please note this is for the most part heavily subjective and just my experiences and general perspective as a Warframe and 2D fighter player, so take everything with a grain:

Spoiler

But as someone who plays quite a bit of 2D fighting games through the years (specifically Blazblue and Under Night In-Birth), and have really delved into frame data and such to help improve my not so great skills, [personally] the melee stances have less to do with 'realism' and more on 'practicality'.

Many can claim that they would rather "just want to look awesome" for this particular stance in question (as myself am on the same boat for other stances as well lol), but to be perfectly honest I would almost never choose this stance for how slow the windup time is; would prefer the former stances. For me, as aforementioned, practically > spectacle.
I wouldn't even be surprised that there is even some correlation with that and why many (not all) stay away from this particular stance over the other one(s).
But I think another contributor is that there aren't as much fist-weapon variety (the outlier being the Kogake) compared to other and more fruitful melee classes, but I'm just digressing.

The point I suppose I'm making here, is that there needs to be some grounded logic or foundation for even melee animations to actually exist, so examining different melee stances and how they function is definitely important that I think some (again, not all) might just dismiss because of preconceived notions. If ideally we could be just as flashy and efficient like the more practical stances that gives us results, then I definitely would be a happy Zephyr about it :P  But unfortunately, despite how awesome Crossing Snake's combos are, there is a reason why you see others on here, in-game, Youtube, etc typically swapping polarities to fit Swirling Tiger on their Prisma Dual Cleavers haha.

Anyways, that's enough of my ramblings :P

Edited by HalfDarkShadow