Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino's Abilities Revamp...

XDDANTE

My first time doing a post like this,so i hope i can make myself clear and understandable,let's beggin.

So watching the live stream i heard the desing director Scott talking about changing Rhino's powers and possibly changing them,so i want to put some ideas i've had since i started playing as Rhino.

First off Rhino's Charge attack:Currently to be honest it's just a carbon copy of Excalibur's Slash Dash,both attacks just doesn't look unique beyond the ending animation,so why not just animate the whole attack seeing Rhino actually running and just destroying everything in his path,i will just looks bad &#! and unique to Rhino.

Second Rhino's Iron Skin:We all know about the nerf that this ability suffered a few updates back and also the upcoming buff to it, but what i want to see as well is how enemies interact once the ability is activated specially from meele enemies,sure i get i chuckle every once in a while when i see Greenier Scorpions throwing their harpoon and fail miserably and just stand there like idiots,but wouldn't be cool/funny/bad &#! to see the harpon attaching to Rhino but instead of the enemy just stand there,Scorpions would be dragged back to Rhino since i assume when using Iron Skin you get some extra weight(because normally without Iron Skin Scorpions drag you to kick your &#! once you are in their reach)and so you could finish them by meele attacks,and for normal attacks just seeing the Sword/Knife being deflected/bounce when Iron Skin is active. (Note:Damage still affects Iron Skin durability) Edit:Forgot to adress problem with Railgun Moas wich can stun you even if you are in Iron Skin i read somewhere that it happens when you are not the host so hopefully it will get fixed in next patch unless is inteded wich would kill off the porpuse of Iron Skin.

Third Radial Blast/Rhino Stomp:I would actually see these two merged in to one cool ability,i really barely use these two to be honest as Iron Skin provides me(at least for me)better survivability and crowd control with the right weapon(just my opinion about it)Radial Blast just seems weak and Rhino stomp is just not an option for crowd control as it will deal some damage and just lift your enemies in the air for a limited time,yes of course you can shoot them while the enemies are in the air but with a lot of things going on the screen and the time it takes to finish the animation you might as well use Iron Skin and maul your enemies without having to worry if an enemy is behind you back,so to actually give better use for crowd control and offensive capability merge the two power as one,as for the animation again it would be be bad &#! to see Rhino stomp his left fist first in to the ground and activating Rhino Stomp air lift and then use his right fist to do Radial Blast finishing of all the enemies that were lifted and surrounding enemies,that will make absolutely wanna use that power most of the time,for both awesomeness and effectiveness.

Fourth:Since i have left a open slot for new ability i will let you guys discuss about it,what cool new power would you like to see added to Rhino???

and so i finish my post about revamping Rhino's power,what do you think,did you liked my ideas???you did not???why???comment and discuss.

PD:Please excuse any typo or bad grammar,english is not my language.

Edited by XDDANTE

I'm actually not really bothered by Rhino's kit. I use the Rhino Charge in narrow paths, everything gets destroyed and I speed up through the path. I often use Radial Blast aswell. It usually kills off the small fry, and those who survive get knocked down. Rhino Stomp, however... I only see me using it during a late wave in a defence mission. Iron Skin, only in emergency situations. Some changes will be nice, maybe I'll opt to use the skills a little more other than relying on my rifle. I like your idea of merging Radial Blast with Rhino Stomp.

Perhaps for the rhino charge there should be an acceleration period. He would start really slow (normal sprint) and accelerate over the next 10 or so meters to full speed. maybe extend the distance he runs (compared to current) and make damage dealt relative to the speed 

Also, rhino could carry enemies on his shoulders, casting them to either side every 3-4 meters. Bonus damage should be dealt if he rams someone into a wall... and a nice Rorschach on the wall maybe ^^

I really hope Rhino gets revamped. I agree with XDDante, he needs it badly. If Rhino is going to be a tank that does crowd control and a support role (i.e. limited damage) then for goodness sake give the poor guy some masculinity! That means proper skills, animations and effects. Right now the only thing this frame is good for is gearing your top DPS weapon and solo farming with maxed out survivability mods - forever alone. My suggestions below:

1. Rhino Charge: Let Rhino select a target (within a reasonable distance but one much longer than what he has now) and barrel his way through any mobs with decent damage dealt, truly epic knockback and very high damage dealt to the final target (requires timing/feel to reap damage benefits). If that mechanic is going to be too tricky, just let him slash dash forward with a different graphic effect at least. Add in some cool knockdown animations (imagine infested parting like a wave in front of him) and a proper goring animation and you have something that players will not think of as a nerfed slash dash - if anything, Slash Dash should a nerfed but longer Rhino Charge with a different animation.

2. Iron Skin: In my experience after the nerf, which was understandable, iron skin is pretty much just something you use when your shields fail and you would like to save yourself a revive for the day (whilst running away like a scared little girl). Yawn, the taunt it provides is also pretty ineffective negating the "tank" role in anything other than a corridor - it needs a range and chance increase to take the attention off the damage mitigation and put it on a taunt. Possibly also reinvent iron skin to be a reflect damage mod whilst taking damage 0.8:0.2 Enemy/Rhino (even if it's just melee thorns) so there is a purpose to taunting and a real reason to have a high survivability pool (and possibly some interplay with Loki's radial disarm). My final point on this - the cast time is too long for the ability as it is, add in a roar or something similar to make the cast time reasonable and the taunt tangible.

3. Radial Blast: The damage dealt is pretty weak, but that's okish. What makes it bad is that that's it. Rhino is basically a carbon copy Minigunner warframe if you build rationally to how the frame works in practice, when he should be an obvious shotgun/heavy-melee choice (like he is advertised). Add the time distortion to this ability to make it something that Rhino can use after Rhino charge to disrupt large packs and buy time to revive whilst killing off weaker or damaged enemies in the immediate vicinity. This guy is the Sumo of Waframe, Sumo's don't give the ground a love pat. THEY WRECK IT!

4. Rhino Stomp - I support combining radial blast and rhino stomp, there is opportunity to do something very cool here to make the Rhino viable again. For example, Rhino's are known to be hot tempered creatures when cornered/threatened. Give Rhino a rage ability that scales his melee range, attack speed and damage (i.e. use heavy weapons that knock down) based on the number of enemies he hits while under the effect (to hard but impressive caps). Suddenly those slow swinging heavy weapon animations will actually make sense. Making Rhino a truly epic heavy melee wrecking ball he is intended to be would make that ridiculous and dishonest cod piece something to be respected.

-- Other possibilities for replacing Rhino Stomp is giving him a skill that passively pumps up shields like Trinity does health (implying a Trinity nerf and some interesting team play options with them both). Alternatively and my personal preference, why can't Rhino have something that restores ammo and/or charging his and his team mates primary and secondary weapons? Trinity can keep people alive and Rhino can make them deadlier. That would play to character classes - hell, why don't you do that and make him a heavy melee wrecking ball whilst under the effect whist not benefiting from primary or secondary damage buffs himself! i.e. Rhino goes ape melee, Trinity is immobilised healing and everyone else pew pews like deamons when out of energy (i.e. not affecting casting).

I hope my disjointed ideas help and some more will come forward because right now, I can't see any real reason to use Rhino in a proper group. Sure he makes up numbers in random public play but in high level defence he is pointless and I shed tears for the potatoes sunk into a useless waframe worldwide. Come on guys, just look at him: he is heavy melee. Yes he needs some CC, but there are better CC classes already that are much more preferable on high waves (viz. Frost/Vauban) so go back to what players want from this character when they first see it in your trailer videos. Until these changes happen, he is doomed to be used by solo players and sold by clan players to make space for another frame. He certainly isn't even worth the 20 plat to keep as a souvenir at the moment. IMHO.

Come on Steve, you know you want heavy melee and you know it's overlooked in other games! Give us a knockback wrecking ball!

Edited by Hubrisza