The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Out Of Frame: The Everyday Lives Of The Tenno - Feedback & Discussion

Jordan_McBeast

Serious on-topic question

Doozy, after you Finished The Wrath, did you have any plans to doing a Meta-Character story again? Or does this sort of thing happen when you are really enjoying a game, and attempt to get inside the head of the characters... only to realize nothing is there, and fill it with whatever suits your fancy?

This is actually a good question that I have to answer.

I don't know if I ever told you guys about the SPACE SHIP RULE before, but if I did, its a hundred pages back by now and nobody is going to go looking for it.

This is the Space Ship Rule.

Star Trek is a story about a space ship. Or if you watch the BEST VERSION of Star Trek, its the story about a crappy old Cardassian space station.

Star Wars is a story about space ships. A lot of space ships, but the best one is the Millennium Falcon.

Firefly is also the story of the Millenium Falcon, if Joss Whedon wrote Star Wars.

The point is...

You don't actually care about the Enterprise. You care about Kirk. Or Picard, depending on your generation. Or if you have good taste, Sisko.

You don't actually care about the Millennium Falcon, you care about Harrison Ford, because he's Harrison Ford.

You don't actually care about the Serenity, you care about Nathan Fillion, because he's also Harrison Ford. And also Alan Tudyk. Firefly should just be renamed "Alan Tudyk flies a space ship, shenanigans ensue, the show. By Joss Whedon."

The recurring theme here is that space ships are just props. They don't mean anything. They aren't real, and they don't matter. You don't have relationships with space ships, you have relationships with characters.

So to answer your question, No, I don't set out looking for games to write meta-plots for, because honestly, the game is irrelevant. Star Wars, Warframe, Harry god damn Potter... The universe doesn't matter. Its just a backdrop.

All you have to do is make people fall in love with a character. Once they love your character, it doesn't matter if he's a space captain or a sith lord or Time Lord or some fancy british kid that goes to wizard school. All that's just a trap to get people to want to show up. Once they like the character, none of the props matter. Once they like the character, they hand you their emotions on a plate and you can play them like fiddles. Stories aren't about things, they're about people. Things are just props. Once you understand that, everything else is just semantics. I could go play some crap game like the Star Trek MMO and go do to their fan forums what I'm doing here, and it would just be another drop in the bucket for me, I haven't watched Star Trek for 10 years.

You don't actually care about the Millennium Falcon, you care about Harrison Ford, because he's Harrison Ford.

What if I think he is a pussy compared to Galen Marek/Starkiller even though he was never (or yet *looks at disney*) portrayed in movie and  he is most likely the most badass character of Star Wars?

BTW screw Harrison Ford Millenium Falcon FTW!!!

Edited by don_banan

OH DEAR GOD. Just read newest post.

I actually thought for a second there you were gonna get all Demolition Man with the sex brain helmets or something. Then I realized you were referencing Woody Allen. Of this I approve.

Seriously though, I'm with the Rhino. I want my @(*()$ Xbox.

The recurring theme here is that space ships are just props. They don't mean anything. They aren't real, and they don't matter. You don't have relationships with space ships, you have relationships with characters.

unless you a robot..or possibly cyborg.

then you relate to the ship more than the target practice meatbags.

What if I think he is a pussy compared to Galen Marek/Starkiller even though he was never (or yet *looks at disney*) portrayed in movie and  he is most likely the most badass character of Star Wars?

BTW screw Harrison Ford Millenium Falcon FTW!!!

You picked some expanded universe clown as the most badass character in star wars? And it wasnt even timothy zahn expanded universe character?

You #*($%%@ up. You could have at least picked the correct answer, grand admiral Thrawn.

You're not even off the island, you're just banned from the thread forever.

Thank @(*()$ space god or whoever the Tenno worship, the cookie thing was annoying as hell slogging through.

On topic, Doozy I do hope we get to see your thoughts on Mag-Prime and Necro soon.

I predict that Prime is a fancy suit that Mag wears on a date with Cal (they, they haven't really done much fancy together, besides go to a bar and get drunk with PDG) and that Nekros is either a goth or a cosplayer. Edited by fishworshipper

Doozy, could you potentially link any updates from here to the update post? I have it followed, but the follow notifications only go up to 25 total.

And those 25 are generally taken by just this thread.

so stop following this thread, its just a bunch of goons posting their cookie high scores anyways. Which Ced told them to stop doing.

You hear that you cookie farming jerks? The Sturmin' German is gonna put your dumb cookie game in the oven! If you want to stay in the thread, find a bratwurst or a schnitzel game!

this racism is killing me inside.