Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sword And Shield

CrownFire

You know shields can thrown too, right? So make it that using shields give you 100% damage reduction when blocking any attack except shockwaves.

A small shield set up like a glaive to throw when not used to block and still have a melee weapon to hack and slash while the shield tears trough enemies. Awesome!

I think Crown has a great idea. I also agree with it taking up a secondary slot for a small shield that could fold on the off hand when not in use, and a primary slot for large shields that get slung over the back when not in use. Set up dmg reduction according to side, than block would actually be a very useful move...(should also cost stamina to block like blocking already does...)

WHAT ABOUT JUST REWORKING THE BLOCK SYSTEM ?

That doesn't mean the shield doesn't have a place in the game. Just means that the shield should come with the block system update, and should have some kind of advantage in that system, no matter how it's set up.

No its more than that , if he did ask the shield it's because he felt the emptyness of non blocking.

Give him a furax or a scindo who can really block he wouldn't even care about having a shield.

i would rather have a shield then a well blocking heavy weapon. depending on how they are put into the game they can add more options to squishier frames and probably and fun combos.

We're space ninjas, make it an energy shield that pops open from the wrist when you press block. This would give block a function that blocks almost all damage.

Carrying a shield around would just slow you down.

Edited by CeePee

We're space ninjas, make it an energy shield that pops open from the wrist when you press block. This would give block a function that blocks almost all damage.

Carrying a shield around would just slow you down.

He-hey! Someone who used the ninja argument to not shoot down and idea but improve it! I like this guy!

Perhaps that could one day, be a balancing factor into the gameplay. As I said, we have three or four possible flavors of shields, based on faction.

Adding a portable energy shield could be both or either Tenno or Corpus made, potentially adding in another enemy, as well.

Take into consideration my earlier post of "Take the primary slot and we rely on pistol/blade behind our shield." That, in and of itself, is a powerful handicap in exchange for the ability to be a brick wall.

If you have a light shield in the secondary slot, then you have a classy sword and board, or switch to just a pure rifle.

Put it in the melee slot, and you have the potential for a pistol-shield combo, riot style.

The potential flavors and various shields (you could theoretically have one shield for every slot, and one set from each faction) that would add a powerful diversity and, probably, viable alternative to the Run 'N Gun vs. Stealth gameplay we have now.

He-hey! Someone who used the ninja argument to not shoot down and idea but improve it! I like this guy!

Perhaps that could one day, be a balancing factor into the gameplay. As I said, we have three or four possible flavors of shields, based on faction.

Adding a portable energy shield could be both or either Tenno or Corpus made, potentially adding in another enemy, as well.

Take into consideration my earlier post of "Take the primary slot and we rely on pistol/blade behind our shield." That, in and of itself, is a powerful handicap in exchange for the ability to be a brick wall.

If you have a light shield in the secondary slot, then you have a classy sword and board, or switch to just a pure rifle.

Put it in the melee slot, and you have the potential for a pistol-shield combo, riot style.

The potential flavors and various shields (you could theoretically have one shield for every slot, and one set from each faction) that would add a powerful diversity and, probably, viable alternative to the Run 'N Gun vs. Stealth gameplay we have now.

This is productive. I like the idea of incorporated shield design based on faction. It would flow with the current mechanics in the game. I also agree that a shield deploying from the wrist would feel more comfortable with gameplay on my frame.

No its more than that , if he did ask the shield it's because he felt the emptyness of non blocking.

Give him a furax or a scindo who can really block he wouldn't even care about having a shield.

Regardless of how or why he came up with the idea, it is good to share and discuss idea's because it will lead to a better end game product.

That said: I don't think it would take away from the current weapon blocking because they are assigned a dmg reduction based on type. You could implement that into an increase dmg reduction (blocked dmg) based on shield type.

This is productive. I like the idea of incorporated shield design based on faction. It would flow with the current mechanics in the game. I also agree that a shield deploying from the wrist would feel more comfortable with gameplay on my frame.

Shield in primary slot - Heavy Shield, always active, reduce accuracy with pistol when not aiming, cannot dual wield, no-aim firing over shield (a-la Grineer), aiming and firing leads to holding the shield on the side. Grineer shield currently used, a thermoplastic-based Corpus shield, morphics based Tenno shield. Switching weapons switches primary and melee.

Shield in secondary slot - Smaller shield, wrist/arm projection, inactive when primary out, active when melee out (but must be switched to or in blocking mode), can still dual melee. The projection based shield.

Shield in melee slot - Taken out for blocking, but light attacks are low-damage stagger attacks, and the charge attack is a push-back. Still allows full use of guns otherwise.

Edited by VScipii26

Shield in primary slot - Heavy Shield, always active, reduce accuracy with pistol when not aiming, cannot dual wield, no-aim firing over shield (a-la Grineer), aiming and firing leads to holding the shield on the side. Grineer shield currently used, a thermoplastic-based Corpus shield, morphics based Tenno shield. Switching weapons switches primary and melee.

Shield in secondary slot - Smaller shield, wrist/arm projection, inactive when primary out, active when melee out (but must be switched to or in blocking mode), can still dual melee. The projection based shield.

Shield in melee slot - Taken out for blocking, but light attacks are low-damage stagger attacks, and the charge attack is a push-back. Still allows full use of guns otherwise.

this is exactly what i would want. i would probably use heavy shield all the time tho :)

1) Name a ninja that's not from a TV show, book, or movie. You can't.

2) State a reason why ninjas and shields clashing has anything to do with Warframe and Tenno.

3) I am a bright pink Rhino. My primary weapon is an automatic shotgun. My second is a pair of dual shotgun handcannons. The melee is a greataxe. EXPLAIN TO ME HOW WE'RE ALL NINJAS.

1) Ninja that wasn't in tv ok how about Hattori Hanzo(actual Ninja)

2) its like saying kites weren't used by Samurai to shield them

3) we're space Ninjas not really fitting to the traditional sense since we are enhanced humans with bio-mechanical suits

I wouldn't mind it just being a pure melee thing but it would make Block usable But as a Primary we'd be stuck using a secondary and for some it might become an inconvenience imagine a new guy gets that thinking it melee and is stuck using his(her) lato a lot.

What I would love to see is simply an energy shield on the left wrist added to all single swords. When blocking, it's brought out, and the primary/secondary weapon is held to the side, behind the body. When switching to secondary, it is put out, if single pistol (Open to discussion? Might make single pistols useful vs dual wield) and absorbs, say, 5% of the incoming damage? Possibly higher/lower?

And if meleeing with secondary, the pistol is simply sheathed, and the blade is swung like now.

Perhaps also add being able to fire while blocking with secondaries?

I think this would balance both single swords and single pistols against their dual wield variants.

1) Ninja that wasn't in tv ok how about Hattori Hanzo(actual Ninja)

2) its like saying kites weren't used by Samurai to shield them

3) we're space Ninjas not really fitting to the traditional sense since we are enhanced humans with bio-mechanical suits

I wouldn't mind it just being a pure melee thing but it would make Block usable But as a Primary we'd be stuck using a secondary and for some it might become an inconvenience imagine a new guy gets that thinking it melee and is stuck using his(her) lato a lot.

1) Samurai who trained in ninja arts.

2) What?

3) Exactly. We are in bio-mechanical suits. Even if it stated that we are ninja (which is never has been), we would be non-convention. So throw what the actions of traditional ninjas (no shields) do and throw it out the window.

How would the new guy get stuck using his Lato? If he were to read the text of the weapon, he'd see it marked as a primary weapon (or, hopefully it would be marked as a primary weapon), and when he tries to put it in a melee slot, he can't. He'd find it in his primary slot.

It's like when I first played TF2 and found an a pair of boots for the Demoman. I spent several minutes trying to put said boots into the "misc" slot on the loadout, only to find that it actually went in the primary slot (They gave +25hp and increased turn control when charging). I went into the game thinking I'd still have my grenade launcher (the normal primary), and when I didn't I played around with just my secondary. I ended up not liking it, so I SWITCHED IT BACK.

That's the key. He could sell it or change his primary. Someone not knowing it's a primary slot weapon is a non-issue.

~snip~

Perhaps also add being able to fire while blocking with secondaries?

I think this would balance both single swords and single pistols against their dual wield variants.

I thought about firing while blocking, but the major issue that it would be an awkward button combo.

Even if you rebound it so that block was something other than mouse 3/4, you'd still be dedicating a finger on the keyboard to blocking.

Put your hand on the keyboard they way you would play the game. Unless you set the block button to one of the one you could easily reach with your thumb, you'd be losing a direction of movement. And it would still be awkward (it would be difficult to crouch or start to sprinting).

As for balancing, yes. It would help. It wouldn't make up for the fact that using a charge attack from a Gram would be more powerful, but that's another facet of issue block in this game.

Edited by VScipii26

I like this idea, and the sentiment that it's "not ninja" is a little misguided I feel because if you listen to the dev streams and such they have said multiple times their inspiration for designs comes from a variety of nationalities and sectors. The lato for instance, and especially the bolto, are very much western in design with the wood accents and ornate flintlock style design on the latter pistol. I could go on with examples but I think the individual weapons speak for themselves. Even the frames differ greatly: Banshee, loki, and especially ash are very ninja like but Volt or Rhino are not at all aside from the base agile movements and so forth.