Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

burston, bolter or other? beginner

Vivec_Lovecraft

Question

so trying to break away from starter weapons, but having trouble deciding which of these two guns to go for next. Burst shots sounds great, but so does puncturing. read bolter ignored armor but others mentioned it was nerfed awhile back. if theres any other options than these two youd recommend to a beginner plz let me know details. pretty newb at this game so far but loving it

3 answers to this question

Boltor is a classic, strong weapon.  The prime is usable at lower levels and very solid.

I do not like most burst guns.   I do love Sybaris (now dex) but the rest of the bursts seem sort of average, even the primes.  

An early gun that is under-rated is sobek.  Its a high capacity shotgun that is great for early corpus and still viable at endgame.  Easily can do 50-60k / sec damage once tricked out.  Loads a mite slow.  I think its MR 4 and its the one gun that I have returned to over and over from my early stuff.   Ive got my shiny primes and tricked out crit rifles and all, but there is just something about it that keeps me going back for more.

My advice to a new player beyond getting some of these usual suspects is to try a bunch of guns and see what you like.   It gets you mastery rank while you learn, and a lot of them are effectively free--- all it costs is a tiny bit of credits and the crafting materials to get dozens of weapons to try out.  

Personally I like one shot, one kill guns, so I gravitate toward shotguns, bows, snipers, and hard hitters like the above mentioned Sybaris.  Boltor gets close, with a slow rate of fire and hard hits from an auto, but its borderline for my preferences.   Ill use soma but I don't like it that much.  There are some sub par guns, but for the most part, if you stick a forma in 4 or 5 slots and trick it out, almost anything you enjoy is good enough for 99.99% of the game.

Karak, Sonicor, Dual Zoren.

This weapons will take you into places.

You will need mastery rank 8 to use most weapons, so will need to try some anyway. Build whatever you have resources for, and if dont like sell, and try another.

I personally like Zhuge, Kohm. AkMagnus, Twin Grakatas, Atterax,

Also with a bit of plat it could be easy to get full set of Boltor/Burston or Orthos Prime.

Edited by felixsylvaris