Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Give Melee More Impact/Visual "Umph"

Draymarc

Just a general nitpick of mine, but though I love the plethora of melee weapons in the game, hitting enemies doesnt have that visual "umph" for me. I think a hitstop would be a cool little addition to the melee system. Smaller weapons and more slash based/puncture weapons would have a much shorter, but still visually perceptible hitstop, while high impact melee weapons would have a longer one. Just a thought.

28 minutes ago, Draymarc said:

Just a general nitpick of mine, but though I love the plethora of melee weapons in the game, hitting enemies doesnt have that visual "umph" for me. I think a hitstop would be a cool little addition to the melee system. Smaller weapons and more slash based/puncture weapons would have a much shorter, but still visually perceptible hitstop, while high impact melee weapons would have a longer one. Just a thought.

I have felt for a long time that the melee system needs more audiovisual weight to it. No idea what a hitstop is though

On 8/12/2016 at 1:57 AM, Icymountain said:

Hitstopping might be hard to do though. What would happen to the others in the same game? It'd be all stuttery for them. 

Yeah I gave that some thought. this was something I just put out there bc I think if it could be added it would be a nice addition.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:18 PM, Rehtael7 said:

If you're talking about staggering, we already have that.

I know, I'm proposing adding the effect used in brawler games and most fighting games where theres a brief pause of frames each time you hit an enemy, giving more visual weight to strikes and such. I used the word hitstop bc it was coined in a skyrim mod a ways back, but I don't know the official term for it.

2 minutes ago, Draymarc said:

Yeah I gave that some thought. this was something I just put out there bc I think if it could be added it would be a nice addition.

I know, I'm proposing adding the effect used in brawler games and most fighting games where theres a brief pause of frames each time you hit an enemy, giving more visual weight to strikes and such. I used the word hitstop bc it was coined in a skyrim mod a ways back, but I don't know the official term for it.

.. Either you mean I-frames or hurtframes, either way that would probably be a bad idea.

6 hours ago, Rehtael7 said:

.. Either you mean I-frames or hurtframes, either way that would probably be a bad idea.

It's a good idea if it were a singleplayer game, because it IS effective in giving hits a weightier feel. And no, hitstop isn't i-frames nor hurtframes. It's entirely different. 

Edited by Icymountain