The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why don't we have missions with proper, random combat conditions?

DSpite

Ok, so some people don't like the idea. Not a problem with that. I'm not saying "force" on people, they can be just Cephalon sponsored, training exercises, with some token rewards, done so that Silmaris can get his pixels off, watching us hunt down replicated enemies in basically a custom Danger Room.

I was just in a no-shields mission, and three of us had bows. We had a Rhino that for some reason did NOT put up Iron Skin that I could tell - as if he did, he would not have gone down 2-3 times against low-ish level units - and it was probably the most fun I've had in a while (have to admit, the Darvo rescue mission was fun too). Mine was just an Exterminate, and everyone was very carefully edging up to doors, taking accurate kill shots, taking out Sapper mines before moving forwards, killing cameras and turrets.

You know, almost like an actual mission.

We already know that when a regular Star Chart mission pops up, we can wipe it clean if we already have a handful of gear. Why not generate some challenge artificially, purely as a "I can't be bothered running normal stuff, whats playing in the wacky channel?".

If you want a simple example, think Mastery Rank missions for teams. DE sets up some weird conditions, and we do it as a team, and ACTUALLY get some basic rewards to not make the whole thing "reward-less". Less "stress" for failures, kept short-ish to redo easily, also good log data to see what players will bring, if "just bring DPS" is not a necessity and may in fact not even help you.

What exactly would be the downsides to this actually happening?

It's one of the things I've always wanted. If you can always prepare optimally for a mission it kills the element of forced improvisation, which is one of the most effective ways to create challenge without cranking up enemy levels. The most fun I ever had in Warframe was when nightmare missions had a no-minimap condition that forced players to actually look for the objective and - gasp - explore instead of following a simple marker. The most tense moments in Warframe are created when the game throws something at you that you didn't expect. Unfortunately, many players simply don't want to be forced to improvise, so DE tends to take all those elements out.

Edited by AuroraSonicBoom