Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Advice for building a gaming PC.

izzatuw

I'm planning on getting a job for the next few months and am trying to save up around 1100-1200 USD. I already tried making a PC using 

https://pcpartpicker.com

I made it out with this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FnNMbj

But asides from GPU I'm pretty terrible at picking everything else and Idk if somethings are more overkill than the other.

I need advise on how to pick certain things like CPUs and Hard drives and motherboards. My current desktop had multiple killer issues over the past few years. 

Some notes -

- I'm planning on making the GPU a 1070 but everything else is changeable.

- I am eventually planning on recording at some point. 

- Preferably would like 1TB of storage or more.

I would go with an i7 minimum for doing recording, if you don't want to pay (too much) more go with a Xeon and you can get 4c/8t for under 300$

the noctua u14s is overrated for the price, you can get equal coolers for cheaper and slap a noctua fan on them later if you want.

The HD3 has crappy power delivery don't skimp out on your motherboard and itll last you a while

The case needs to be better also, think of a case as a long term investment that will last you several rigs, I have the original haf 932 still going and just coated the inside with black plasti dip for looks. Its occupied by its 3rd rig now.

If youre looking at a PSU for the 100$ range you really cant beat Seasonics quality with the gseries 650w, be aware that seasonics gseries has stupid short cables for sata so if you have a DVD drive at the top of a full tower it might not reach (if PSU at bottom) or reverse might not reach drives if PSU at top.

Consider do you NEED the 1070? What is your resolution and what games? you might be better served with a cheaper GPU and beefier CPU considering Pascwell will become dated fairly quickly post Volta release in the next 2yrs and greater focus on Vulkan/DX12 in coming years (it simply cant do compute and graphics at the same time)

What is your primary focus? Is it gaming or will you be doing media work? You might be better served with 8gb vs 16gb if the primary focus is gaming but if you do photoshop. lightroom, premiere, etc. 16gb is better (but not by a ton)

Build for long term, consider what your use case will be and what things will most likely be upgraded sooner anyway. CPU/Motherboard/Case/PSU should be things you consider longer term investments while the GPU/Ram/HDD will likely be updated at least one time during the life of the system. Seriously consider used parts, the best GPU I ever owned was a r9 270x I got used. Thing was a golden sample and could hit 1350mhz core at 1.3v without hitting 70c, Its in my sisters PC now but easily could've hit 1400mhz core I'm sure under water, maybe even air I just never pushed it that far.

Edited by Echoa

Here is the build I would do personally, This is assuming youre going to upgrade ram, storage, and GPU at some point in the rigs life but starts you off on solid ground and is a solid system.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mH3LsJ

keeps your OS and storage separated, this gives you an SSD main drive for your OS, and while thw 1060 isn't as fast as the 1070 (obviously) you can put some money aside to worry about a new GPU 2yrs+ down the road and not worry about your CPU, PSU, Case, or Motherboard. This motherboard has better power delivery, better lan, and better audio. This rig in daily use will be faster than your original rig and you will enjoy it more along with the fact that the only things youll have to worry about at some point are storage (if you save a lot of stuff), ram (if you start doing a lot of video and image work), and GPU eventually for better DX12 (which would've been the case with the 1070 too). Its also only 20$ more than the original rig.

Edited by Echoa