Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt's Discharge is weird?

Kobitokage

Question

Hey guys, I play Volt and I definitely love the way he is and his discharge. The other day I've been told that there is no point in building duration on my discharge since the damage cap is gonna hit it anyway so I should keep building power to have more of a damage cap. There is two builds for Volt's discharge. The one for pure CC and the one for damage. So what Im asking is, Is there really no point in building duration? Do I get a longer CC effect if I just build strength?

6 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Kobitokage said:

Hey guys, I play Volt and I definitely love the way he is and his discharge. The other day I've been told that there is no point in building duration on my discharge since the damage cap is gonna hit it anyway so I should keep building power to have more of a damage cap. There is two builds for Volt's discharge. The one for pure CC and the one for damage. So what Im asking is, Is there really no point in building duration? Do I get a longer CC effect if I just build strength?

Well, Discharge might actually be better affected by Duration and Range.

Just now, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

Well, Discharge might actually be better affected by Duration and Range.

I thought so too but some have told me that it doesn't matter because the damage cap is all the same unless I built a lot of strength. So building Duration is useless?

it's not, but you can't build for full range if you want CC or damage, since Overextended kills your strength. so you can't stun maps, but you can still manage to stun a pretty big area for some time. build mainly for duration, put range on but not overextended, and you got your CC build.

if you want to do damage, build for strength instead of range, but stay away from transient fortitude, it kills you duration and that's not good. 

3 minutes ago, ragingdeamon said:

it's not, but you can't build for full range if you want CC or damage, since Overextended kills your strength. so you can't stun maps, but you can still manage to stun a pretty big area for some time. build mainly for duration, put range on but not overextended, and you got your CC build.

if you want to do damage, build for strength instead of range, but stay away from transient fortitude, it kills you duration and that's not good. 

Say Im building a full CC build and I have Overextended to lower my strength so the damage is so little that it won't reach the cap. But apparently the damage still goes through when it shows like 0 damage is being done. The cap is still reach even when no dmg is being actually dealt?

8 minutes ago, Kobitokage said:

Say Im building a full CC build and I have Overextended to lower my strength so the damage is so little that it won't reach the cap. But apparently the damage still goes through when it shows like 0 damage is being done. The cap is still reach even when no dmg is being actually dealt?

Power strength affect the damage being dealt AND the damage cap, so if your power strength is lowered then the damage per second AND the damage cap is lowered.

If you're dealing reduced or no damage due to armor or ancients then you will reach the damage cap slower because you are dealing less damage.

1 minute ago, Zachatoo said:

Power strength affect the damage being dealt AND the damage cap, so if your power strength is lowered then the damage per second AND the damage cap is lowered.

If you're dealing reduced or no damage due to armor or ancients then you will reach the damage cap slower because you are dealing less damage.

true, but if there are multiple enemies the coils will damage themselves, and if you have low (or high!) power strength, you will reach the cap in about 3-5 seconds, instead of the 10 you get with 100% strength. 

the ability synergizing with itself is neat, but it also hinders itself in the process. it's why many volt users, including me, want the damage cap removed or looked at.