Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boss-Drop Connections

Lady_Khaos

Currently it is a bit odd to me which frames drop where.

First off, the starter frames (original, meaning Volt instead of Mag) are higher tier boss drops. Especially Excalibur. How does putting the face of Warframe as the drop from the FINAL boss make any sort of sense? Granted, Golem and Hyena are "mid range" in level, but still. I believe the starter frames should be the easiest ones to get. Doing this really just encourages people to either make multiple accounts, or spend plat. I went with the second option, mainly because I still wanted my weapons and mods.

Also, the frame should make sense for the boss that drops it. This was done perfectly when Kril was given Frost's abilities, Regor using Ash's Smoke Bomb, and Phorid using Nyx's Psychic Bolts. But other than that, the frames seem to be completely randomly matched with bosses. Now, I'm aware this will be harder for some some bosses than others (Namely Jackal and Hyena).

But some are plausible (examples based solely on abilities, not strength of frame)

Ambulas and Ember: Fire Blast.

Hek and Loki: Decoy.

Ruk and Mag: Bullet Attractor.

Golem and Saryn: poison.

Again, these are only quickly brainstormed connections. Obviously they will need more attention to detail, but as the bosses get revamped I believe that will become more viable.

Anyone who has read my threads before will know that lore is very important to me. Being that the frames are older technology, it makes sense that the bosses would adapt their abilities after stealing and studying the frames.

Also, I know this would screw up the drop tables and everyone's patterns of farming. Again: these are simply ideas and observations.

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

i believe there is more to it than just matching themes. some frames are easier to use than others, and some more powerful than others.

not to mention that some bosses are place holders for reworks further down the line. golem is getting his news form soonish i believe.

matching them by theme is limiting. where would you put the new ani-matter warframe? where would you put new warframes down the line? what boss does vauban fit? should they limit bosses to certain looks and skills to match the frame?

id rather not.

While we're on the subject of boss drops making sense... J-3 Golem should be dropping Neurodes, and Vay Hek should be dropping Neural Sensors. It would make sense for an Infested Boss to drop infested sensory organs, and a Grineer boss to drop a component that is reportedly "of Grineer design." It would also make up a bit for Neurodes dropping so much less frequently (at least in my experience,) since Golem is infinitely easier to solo than Hek is. (Whether that holds true post-revamp or not remains to be seen.)

i believe there is more to it than just matching themes. some frames are easier to use than others, and some more powerful than others.

not to mention that some bosses are place holders for reworks further down the line. golem is getting his news form soonish i believe.

matching them by theme is limiting. where would you put the new ani-matter warframe? where would you put new warframes down the line? what boss does vauban fit? should they limit bosses to certain looks and skills to match the frame?

id rather not.

All solid points. And you are right. My basis is seen in the PS4 trailer: Vor (the new one) uses reverse engineered Orokin tech. Why can't the other bosses do the same? I'm aware not all will have a match, but more sensible matchings would help reinforce what little lore there is behind the game.

Also, on the topic of making sense, it would be interesting if Mire dropped from Golem or Phorid. Currently the only boss to drop a weapon is Vor (rumor is he will also start dropping his new pistol as well), so why not have the infested bosses drop the infested sword? They would say it was a sword that got lodged in the body of Golem/Phorid in an ancient battle and the infestation grew around it and merged with it.

I actually think I might know why Golem drops Volt... Remember he was originally created to battle the Sentience. While his attacks are all poison-themed, whatever the Sentience was was likely robotic in nature. Given Volt's Overload deals over 4k to robots, and there you go. Of course, Lotus may also have been referring to the Technocyte Plague that creates the infested, so whoknows =P

Agreed with the idea that the drops should be tied to the enemy in some way (like Frost/Kril and Nyx/Phroid), not agreed that the starter frames should be early in the game progression.

Also would like to note, frames are actually 40-plat-off, as a plat-purchased frame comes with both a reactor and a slot (40 plat value). Think about that before you click "rush" on any 75-plat warframe =P

Edited by TheBlueJelly

I personally think you get into the game, you see the Warframe's, and you're like "I really like that Banshee/Rhino, they cost more platinum they must be better than what i'm starting with" Granted that's true to most, it gives the new players the feeling that getting the better things is less of a grind then it really is, a little false hope but for the best to get players into the game more.