Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus farming inquiry

MrPoppins

Question

Hi, probably a bit of a noobish question here but I don't understand some of these mechanics quite yet. So here I am to learn! 

My question is: Why is it that when I take Excal with a greater lens and a melee weapon with a greater lens into the infested survival on Uranus, with both of them combined I only get half as much focus as I do when I take Ember in to same mission with only a lens on her, not the weapon, and turn on World on Fire? It really seems like I'm killing the same amount of enemies, so why is the gap so huge? With Excal+weapon I barely broke 900 in 5 minutes but with ember I blasted past 2K. Shouldn't having two lenses accumulate twice as much, not half?

Also, is there a better way for me to go about farming focus than the infested survival on Uranus?

Thanks in advance

6 answers to this question

You will be earning more Focus from ability focused kills such as your use of World on Fire. So Exalted Blade with Excal will earn you more Focus than normal, but only for the lens on your frame. Lens' on weapons earn more focus by getting kills with that weapon.

The only other place i would say for Focus Farming would be Derelict Survival, although it is almost equal to Uranus Surv.

Let me know if you needed some more help on this topic.

have you checked that the kill count was the same? also did you kill as much during a focus pickup timer? 

On the mechanics of it. the lenses work on gained experience. and experience is divided over the killing weapon and the used frame. SO a kill with WoF only gives experience to ember and not anything else. a Melee kill would be 50/50 with frame and weapon though unless you use exalted blade in that case it is 100% for excal

and a greater lens is only 25 or 50% more effective then a normal lens so that really is not that special.

Kill count, enemy types and use of focus pickups are what decides the result in this case.

(O well, for solo play nothing is going to beat stealth exterminate farms on Sedna)

Edited by Airwolfen

15 minutes ago, MrPoppins said:

Hi, probably a bit of a noobish question here but I don't understand some of these mechanics quite yet. So here I am to learn! 

My question is: Why is it that when I take Excal with a greater lens and a melee weapon with a greater lens into the infested survival on Uranus, with both of them combined I only get half as much focus as I do when I take Ember in to same mission with only a lens on her, not the weapon, and turn on World on Fire? It really seems like I'm killing the same amount of enemies, so why is the gap so huge? With Excal+weapon I barely broke 900 in 5 minutes but with ember I blasted past 2K. Shouldn't having two lenses accumulate twice as much, not half?

Also, is there a better way for me to go about farming focus than the infested survival on Uranus?

Thanks in advance

Not sure how it'd be half as much but thing about having a lens in excal is if he's using nothing but EB than only the frame lens is getting any affinity/focus.

Edited by Irorone

5 hours ago, Irorone said:

Not sure how it'd be half as much but thing about having a lens in excal is if he's using nothing but EB than only the frame lens is getting any affinity/focus.

It doesn't matter if "Only" the frame gets 100% of the affinity, or if the weapon gets 50% of it and the frame gets 50% of it when you kill with THAT weapon. You will never get more than 100% affinity.

The value that pops up when you kill an enemy gets splitted the following:

Killed by Warframe abilities: 100% to Warframe
Killed by Primary/Secondary/Melee: 50% to the weapon causing the kill, 50% to Warframe.
Killed by your Companion: 100% Affinity go to your companion (50/50 if it has a weapon equipped)
Killed by fellow Tenno: 33.3% to Warframe, Primary, Secondary and Melee. AND (according to my understanding of the wiki) another 100% go to your companion (split 50/50 if it has a weapon).

Judging by this, the most profitable places to put your lens should be as follows in order: Warframe, Kavat/Kubrow (can't be lens'd), Weapons.
Once you have your whole loadout filled with lenses, you don't have to bother about who gets kills, but about affinity range.

Edited by ScribbleClash