Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question about modding weapons without crit or status

MrPoppins

Question

Hello, I was wondering about when you are looking to mod a weapon, what do you do if it has low crit stats but also low status stats? So far the only thing I can think of to do it look at the primary damage type and try to increase that (like putting 30% slash mod on a weapon with high slash damage), but it never seems like those builds do nearly as well as the other two. Like something with 5% crit and only 10% status, I don't know how to approach those weapons.

Thanks in advance

8 answers to this question

Put the right elemental mods on them. Not the +60% elemental +60% status, the +90% elemental ones. 

30% IPS (Impact Status Puncture) mods are usually trash compared to elementals (toxin, cold, heat and electric). Check the Codex/wiki to see who is vulnerable to what, and mod your items accordingly.

For example, against corpus it's way better to mod go for toxin damage instead of additional slash damage, because toxin completely bypasses shields.

EDIT: And of course, the base damage mods and multishot are mandatory choices that you should equip no matter what.

Edited by TheScytale

Use the 90% elemental damage mods and fire rate mods. These weapons are also prime candidates for the Primed Bane of Faction mods.

For example, for a non-shotgun primary, it might look like this:

• Serration
  • Split Chamber
  • Shred
  • Vile Acceleration or Heavy Caliber or Primed Bane of Faction
  • 4 90% elemental damage mods or 3 90% elemental damage mods and Primed Bane of Faction

You can also opt for using some quality-of-life mods like recoil reduction or an ammo mutation mod depending on the weapon.

That brings up another question for me, how do those mods work? is it +90% of the base IPS damage added on top as elemental damage?

Edit: Also what specifically does crit apply to? will it apply the the total sum of all damage types on the weapon including elemental, or only the IPS?

Edited by MrPoppins

32 minutes ago, MrPoppins said:

That brings up another question for me, how do those mods work? is it +90% of the base IPS damage added on top as elemental damage?

Yep. if the weapon has 60 slash, 20 impact, and 20 puncture, putting the toxin mod will add 90 toxin damage to it, while putting the slash mod will add 20 slash damage. That's why 30% IPS mods are so bad. Even the 120% IPS mods (which still don't regularly drop) aren't as effective as elemental mods in most cases.

EDIT: But if you have Serration, the damage will be added after serration does its effect.

32 minutes ago, MrPoppins said:

Edit: Also what specifically does crit apply to? will it apply the the total sum of all damage types on the weapon including elemental, or only the IPS?

It applies to the total sum, so throwing an elemental in crit builds isn't that bad.

Edited by TheScytale