Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Boar Prime is just mastery fodder?

(PSN)ghinellil

Question

20 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

Not really.

Boar Prime gets the best mix of decent reload speed, status chance and pure damage out of all the status shotguns. Strun Wraith beats it in the damage department only when stacking firerate, and at that point the 3.44s fullymodded reload kicks in to get it back down, on top of ammo efficiency issues adn the fact that you're reloading twice as much as the Boar with his 2.8s base reload time and burning ammo just as fast without the space for an ammo mutation.

Sobek suffers madly from not being able to equip both Shattering Justice and Acid Shells at the same time when building for serious stuff - Acid Shells, while giving you a lot of splash damage, is really not a great mod when you compare it to the possibilityof full armour strip with 3-4 shots, that can equate ridiculous stuff like 20/50x your damage compared to when the enemy had armour even when using beneficial elements, etc. That on top of the fact that it has a 4s base reload speed, although it's true that it burns way less ammo and fires slower, leading to less frequent reloads and less need of a mutation.
It is true that for any kind of mid level content Sobek wins the crown as a room clearer, it's really impressive.

The only status shotgun that's really all in all superior to the Boar Prime, no questions asked, is the Tigris Prime.

Not bad, considering Boar has also been nerfed when shotgun 2.0 hit us and is years older :)

As far as straight damage goes, the Boar is not too bad topping off at 51k burst and 32k sustain with a crit build, that can benefit immensely from Arcane Avenger, Adarza or Smeeta Kavat to achieve positively ridiculous numbers (Adarza buff up makes the Boar do 83k burst).

Really, the Boar is an excellent shotgun for any situation. If you're willing to invest a couple of formas (5-6 depending on builds) it'll serve you extremely well. AND it's sexy as F***.

I love the way that gun fires, sounds and handles, and i would use the S#&$ out of it if it didn't look so butt-ugly.

Really, i can't bear to look at it. It's one of my deepest regrets. I hopewe'll get a deluxe skin pack with a shotgun skin soon so as to be able to get it and go on a rampage.

I actually think it looks ok-ish... I struggle with some other weapons aesthetics though Atamos, tonkor, merelok all need alternate skins in my opinion...

The term "Mastery Fodder" is really meaningless now that endless missions aren't a thing any more, and should expunged from Warframe discourse.

All weapons are now "endgame capable", in the sense of viable up to Sortie/Raid level (as they were all viable to around 40/40 in endless) if potatoe-ed, forma-ed and modded up accordingly, so just use what you enjoy using and stick 4 or 5 forma in it. 

It really is just a question of personal preference these days. 

You don't even need to min-max frames and weapons to the n-th degree of perfection in one particular direction any more, there's a lot more flexibility to build things for flavour now.

The Boar Prime is capable enough that there's nothing to worry about in any content in the game if you enjoy using it.  It's not OP, but that doesn't mean it's "mastery fodder".