Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Performance issue

Crxcify

Question

I've been playing warframe again for the past few days and it's really fun I'm loving doing the quests and getting some new weapons. But the performance is kind of an issue. On any defense mission my fps dips really low usually around 40-55 when my average is usually around 100+ usually infestation defense missions are the most laggy. it makes it really unenjoyable when i'm trying to farm for some resources. I have a GTX 960 4GB SSC and an AMD FX-670K OC'd to 4.5 GHz. Is it just my parts that are bad and can't run the game above 60 fps during the defense missions or is there a bigger issue happening. I play with everything on high except PhysX. Thanks for reading <3 

3 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, Crxcify said:

So it's just because we have amd cpu's huh? that sucks. I cant really afford to get a new motherboard ram cpu fans AND a new OS :/ how do you manage with the 45 fps it feels like a slide show for me at those frame rates. Any settings you can mess with in the .ini files? Because turning the graphics down does not help me whatsoever. I don't get higher OR lower fps.

Technically, it isn't just AMD cpu's. Older Intel's will have the same issue.

For me it is acceptable. I'm generally looking at where im going to be pointing my mouse, not where my mouse is currently pointing and I only get drops to ~45fps when an Ash pops off their ult in a crowded space(for example), or when enemies are being debuffed to glory. So the odd fluctuations aren't really that bothersome since the AI are predictable. For the most part however, i do get 60-70fps. 

Warframe unfortunately doesn't have much in the way of CPU related settings. Most are graphical settings that won't help much with the CPU. 

DE would need to invest in moving the engine to DX11, and 64bit exclusively to get more out of the FX Chips (and older intel's). Unfortunately, that isn't really an option for DE since they can't really afford to deny potential customers. DX12, i'd imagine, is off the tables for Warframe for a long time owing to the fact it requires manual coding of the entire game environment - From threading all the way to memory management; In short a lot of money in research.

The silver lining however is that Warframe is on consoles too. The programmers who find ways to make the game run faster on console can then implement those changes for PC (as was the case for the new solar map). Outside that, it's a matter of waiting till DE cycle around to the programming of Warframe... If you've seen some of the DevStreams where Scott has brought up Mirage (amongst other frames) you'll know that the programming team do have their work cut out for them with the current engine, and probably try every day to improve performance (they shaved off a whole 20MB a few updates ago for 32bit systems). So the team are trying, but performance is always going to be a moving target. We just need to put up with it while they work it out.

Warframe is CPU limited. The better your CPU, the better your performance... Though the engine itself seems to really struggle; probably an indication of its age.

Warframe leans quite heavily on a single main thread. AMD CPU's are generally pretty poor when you only run work off of a single thread, and would prefer if you spread the work out to more cores.

Intel's are really good at running single threaded applications. Which is why they are generally the preferred CPU, and why Warframe performs quite a bit better on those CPU's.

So, unfortunately, that is the performance of that CPU running warframe. For comparison, this is my PC with an FX 8320 @ 4.5GHz:

vlcsnap-00170frstr.png

Lowest for me tends to be ~45fps. Generally, in quite heavy missions, i'll avg ~60fps. In quieter missions, i'll avg ~80fps.

Warframe did see quite a nice bump in performance when they implemented DX11. However, the thing about DX11 is it does a lot of the work for the devs, which is good when the engine is based on DX9.

16 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

Warframe is CPU limited. The better your CPU, the better your performance... Though the engine itself seems to really struggle; probably an indication of its age.

Warframe leans quite heavily on a single main thread. AMD CPU's are generally pretty poor when you only run work off of a single thread, and would prefer if you spread the work out to more cores.

Intel's are really good at running single threaded applications. Which is why they are generally the preferred CPU, and why Warframe performs quite a bit better on those CPU's.

So, unfortunately, that is the performance of that CPU running warframe. For comparison, this is my PC with an FX 8320 @ 4.5GHz:

vlcsnap-00170frstr.png

Lowest for me tends to be ~45fps. Generally, in quite heavy missions, i'll avg ~60fps. In quieter missions, i'll avg ~80fps.

Warframe did see quite a nice bump in performance when they implemented DX11. However, the thing about DX11 is it does a lot of the work for the devs, which is good when the engine is based on DX9.

So it's just because we have amd cpu's huh? that sucks. I cant really afford to get a new motherboard ram cpu fans AND a new OS :/ how do you manage with the 45 fps it feels like a slide show for me at those frame rates. Any settings you can mess with in the .ini files? Because turning the graphics down does not help me whatsoever. I don't get higher OR lower fps.