Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where's the bathroom?

Kaiku

Why do you think every one attacks the Tenno when they appear in ships and space stations?

Cause they know when the Tenno leave in their space kite ships a hole is going to be opened up they can poop out of.

And what do you think all that stuff in Infested mission are all over the ship? That's Infested poop!

Ohh, so THAT'S why all the enemies swarm around the hole after I've left!

Thanks, someone delete the thread please.

I kind of don't want to see space bathrooms and sleeping quarters in the current tileset. Whole thing doesn't feel lived in, so adding little touches of human presence may actually do more harm to the setting than help flesh it out.

There is no practical reason why on ships this huge (they have elevators and corridors that would fit a car. With doors that open by sliding up! Halls comparable in size to a football field!) crew quarters, mess hall and whatever else would be on the same level as storage and engineering. Also, as Tenno aren't some maniacs on a mission to slaughter every living being ever, they would tend to avoid going through areas that have more personnel and thus offer more resistance.

Of course the corridors are huge; how do you think they get the gigantic stacks of crates in there?

Obviously it's some sort of space forklift putting them there.

Okay, hear me out, this was the post I saw yesterday morning, and I have consequently spent about 7 hours riding on public transport and waiting in lines, so I've had time to mull this one over.

What I know about the game environments from the technical and gameplay standpoint is this:

- They are generated procedurally from a set of rooms and objects. This involves seemingly random collection of rooms being arranged loosely along a single axis.

- They are easy to traverse; very few rooms/situations break up the fast-paced run-and-gun gameplay.

- They are based around medium to large open spaces with additional walls/objects inside to break up the line of sight, that occasionally open up to vast spaces.

From the art and lore side:

- Current environment is a Corpus ship. Corpus are space merchants and manufacturers, with ritualistic approach to the old technology and heavy reliance on robots.

- There is gravity throughout those ships, though it's not being generated by a centrifugal force or ship's acceleration.

- Most of the rooms are fairly nondescript with their purpose either unclear or implied very loosely.

- Rooms that have obvious purpose are built for players to interact with them. Those include elevators, generators, artifact storage, prison, personnel airlocks. Locker room (you know the one) should also be mentioned here, it's fairly ridiculous practically, with four entrances that make it a walkthrough corridor, but still pretty satisfying for the player because they get a chance of picking up a lot of resources in a fairly tight space.

What we have in the end is a heavily stylized representation of a huge spaceship, those rooms have a common style to them, but they have no meaning beyond being a battleground. Every level is most assuredly impractical if you try to view it as a real ship - enormous cargo bays are connected by ridiculously winding corridors with stairs in them, there can be a generator right next to a cargo hold or two lift rooms next to each other that transport you one level up/down each. Sliding doors alone would imply having service/crawlspace between decks at least as vast as the deck itself, which is just off.

I can easily suspend my disbelief in how practical these environments really are (not) while they are empty, sterile spaces with enemies to be killed, but throw in some rugs and add living spaces designed for the ship's occupants - bed bunks, bathrooms, mess hall etc. – and it might just plunge into the uncanny valley where seeing sleeping quarters jammed inbetween a generator room and cargo hold the size of a football field makes you wonder just how the hell do these people live here. All this on top of the fact that those environments would have to be believable visually while still supporting the type of gameplay existing, resolutely non-practical, rooms provide.

Plus, there is moral complexity that I'd rather not have to deal with in a dungeon crawler. Would you shoot an unalerted sleeping crewman on an extermination mission? Would you break out a firefight in a room full of vats with cloned Grineer children (or, consequently, would it not tick you off when Grineer crew starts tossing grenades in that same room)?

So no, I don't think that those spaces have a place in the current setting, reasonable as they might seem. If you want more variety and flavor to the current environment what you really should be asking for is getting more rooms that are both plausible on a ship and support mission structure mechanically. Retrieving the data from a heavily guarded CIC instead of a small nondescript locker? Uploading false data in a computer core room with automated defences? Yes, please. Storming the bridge to take control of the ship (different outtro animation!)? Sign me up!

Edited by electricsheep

So no, I don't think that those spaces have a place in the current setting, reasonable as they might seem. If you want more variety and flavor to the current environment what you really should be asking for is getting more rooms that are both plausible on a ship and support mission structure mechanically.

Took me a while to read this one.

From what I am understanding is...Corpus Cargo Ship enviroment. It a ship built primality for delivery service operation.

Certain gamemode do fit nicely to the Corpus gamemode.

Also, the Corpus and the Grineer are clones from what I am understanding.

Plus, there is moral complexity that I'd rather not have to deal with in a dungeon crawler.

I agree with you there. We don't need to get into serious killing as in murdering people in bathrooms when it time to be "relieved". There insanity limits of how far one can go until this describe as "messed up".

Regards,

M4sterofp4in

• 8 years later...

The current tileset does not have any space bathrooms or sleeping areas. There is no sense of living here, so adding little touches of human presence may do more harm than good! hips this huge. Tenno also avoid areas with more personnel and thus offer more resistance because they aren't insane maniacs on a mission to slaughter every living thing.