Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Charge Attack Mechanics

nine7114

Doing some testing on melee charge damage.

Place: Kappa (Grineer)

Weapon: Dual Heat Swords

Mods: Killingblow + Coil + Fury + elementals

Supposed charge damage = base (150) * killingblow (2.5) = 375

Also since charge attack is supposed to ignore armor and slashing damage does not affect Grineers, I was expecting some steady 375s with some yellow numbers from percentage elementals.

Instead what I found consistently (sorry no screens) is that I'm hitting Grineer Heavy Gunners for 421 (white damage numbers with no visible yellow numbers indicating elemental damage), and regular medium Grineer lancers and troopers for oddly 76 plus another 42 (both are white numbers, still not yellow).

Are these results common (how?) or am I misunderstanding some aspect of the mechanic? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Yellow numbers are criticals, not elemental damage. Elemental damage is rolled into the white numbers.

PS: Plus, I found out that the total amount of white numbers displayed per attack is often inconsistent and different between different weapon types (seems projectile-related, not weapon-related). The common case is 2 white numbers per attack even when attack have all possible types of damage attached.

Edited by JustDont

Sorry I may not have my facts right.

Are elemental and base damage rolled into one number (white) and crits (yellow?)

If that's the case, what explains the multiple instances of numbers on my charge attack on one target?

But then if base and elemental are split into separate instances, what explains the fact that I don't see the same charge attack number every single time?

White are normal damage numbers.

Yellow are critical damage numbers.

Normal damage and the damage from each element show up as their own numbers.
Damage from elements is always applied first, and, if the enemy dies, subsequent damage is not shown.

Thus the 76+42 against Grineer lancers is the damage from your elements (and/or a very pitiful quick attack).

The 421 damage... I'm going to take a guess that your Armor Piercing mod is +75%.  That would be adding ~281 elemental damage, and AP damage has a 50% bonus vs. Heavy Grineer (at least according to the weapon calc thread), which would total ~421.

White are normal damage numbers.

Yellow are critical damage numbers.

Normal damage and the damage from each element show up as their own numbers.

Damage from elements is always applied first, and, if the enemy dies, subsequent damage is not shown.

Thus the 76+42 against Grineer lancers is the damage from your elements (and/or a very pitiful quick attack).

The 421 damage... I'm going to take a guess that your Armor Piercing mod is +75%.  That would be adding ~281 elemental damage, and AP damage has a 50% bonus vs. Heavy Grineer (at least according to the weapon calc thread), which would total ~421.

Thank you, that make it perfectly clear. I guess I only saw the AP elemental dmg while charge meleeing the grineer heavy. This must also mean that the base charge damage is constant and truly ignores armor, whether it displays correctly or just flies off world is still up to debate =p

Yellow numbers are criticals, not elemental damage. Elemental damage is rolled into the white numbers.

PS: Plus, I found out that the total amount of white numbers displayed per attack is often inconsistent and different between different weapon types (seems projectile-related, not weapon-related). The common case is 2 white numbers per attack even when attack have all possible types of damage attached.

exactly. i have noticed this too.

sometimes if i hit an enemy with my Dread (Normal, AP, Ice, Fire, Multishot) i will see only one number.

I think this is because the enemy is dead after the first effect, so the rest will not affect him.

It could also be possible that you can see only two numbers, because the damage types are added into one big number (x2 for multishot)...but sometimes you can also see only one number that has the same value as the multishot dual-hit...i dont know, its weird^^

Edited by LazerusKI