Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Modifications to the corpus

(PSN)WINDMILEYNO

There is a great thread in the concepts section about corpus proxies and really several corpus posts that have come and gone that should be considered. Im still making this simply because i was interested in doing so and said i would, although the index just launched, so im missing quite alot of info, but still...

The proposed changes:

Proto shields should have a more prominent role in the game for the corpus. Make proto sheilds relevant by allowing them to block slash and toxin, pretty much all damage that bypasses regular sheilds. They would have a set health, like nullifier bubbles, because those will be proto sheilds (and only because i have no real idea what proto shields were intended to be aside from a form of armor scaling for corpus heavies, but to me they would be projected sheilds).

Sheilds and proto shields should give damage bonuses to impact, small bonuses to punch trough, and no dcrease or increase from slash damage (because infact, i was never really sure why slash would go through a sheild for any specific reason)

Current iteration: 

Proto Shield is one of the four health types of Corpus, possessed by special units. This type of shield is significantly stronger than the standard Shield type and can be considered the more advanced version of standard shields.

Despite the Codex listing Toxin b.png damage as having a +25% bonus against Proto Shield, the Toxin b.png damage bypasses shields entirely, rendering the damage bonus pointless.

Not sure of every detail of how they currently work in game past that, but by description, proto shields just slightly make corpus special units more bullet spongey to every damage type other than magnetic and poison, like any other normal corpus unit.

Nullifiers should not be capable of being arctic eximus. ( i could write a book on what i feel nullifiers should and should not do, please disregard the multitude of times i mention them, its not just some rant about nullifiers)

Fix nullifier spawn rates or take away one thing from the jack of all trades thing they have going on. Sheilding and power denial should be seperate. This is all specifically for nullifiers. The nullification field would work better if it functioned as a stationary defense bubble like the ones bursa shoot, or could be shot through. And it should only shield from powers, not negate them, because we also have the scrambus units.

New corpus enemies, like a mechanist, who works for corups robotics kind of the way ancient healers work for infested, but instead of annoying damage reduction auras, he will just heal the robotic enemies around him.

Robotic health should not be affected by poison, viral, or gas. That is non-sensical.

And less human spawns.

Corpus techs are the equivalent of heavy gunners, except if the heavy gunner was accurate and shot bombard missiles instead of bullets....

Reduce this....maybe. They are fun with nyx and mind freak. Every broken enemy is fun with nyx and mind freak, which is why i almost dont want to see enemy scaling fixes.

Health types: Proto sheilds/sheilds/human health/robotic health/alloy armor/some ferrite armor. 

New corpus bosses. 

Will there be a new "sargeant" who is a promoted corpus that is either secretly john prodman or a glorified nullifier?

Will ambulas be converted into a mix of all three bursa???

-jokes aside, ambulas needs to be revamped, and he might as well be a bursa right? ( but a non broken, non one shot insta down cheese kill pivot-on-a-dime death rocket shooting power nullifying ground locking knock down tantrum spamming abomination of a bullet sponge), and the corpus could use a new face....i feel.( oblivious ps4 player who has not yet played the index).

Reduce the knock down spammyness of the corpus faction as a whole just a tiny bit if possible, if not completely removing the spammyness altogether.

Bring minibosses into the mix way more often, like the lynx, hyenas, zanukas, even jackal. Razorback should be a thing. It would be nice if there was a map large enough to incorporate the giant machines corpus have, maybe even see bursa reach their true size, and even bigger machines.

More ideas:

What if we could buff the corpus without making them a living nightmare? No more carpet bombing ospreys or legions of artic nullifiers.

(Or what if the corpus just continue focusing on trying to knock the player off their feet as much as possible while making sure the floor is completely innaccesible and powers can never be used?)

Lets buff their sheilds, give them the ability to heal, and take away some power denial.

Why? Because the corpus need to focus less on spammy nonsense and more on being less canon fodder.

We also need way more corpus related lore (oblivous ps4 tenno)

Like:

What do the corpus do with most of their time, when they are supposebly hundreds of years old? What is an indoctrination temple? How many parts religious, capitalist, and militant does it take to make a corpus? How is neptune their home world, is it that they live in gas cities like on jupiter or just on neptunes moons? 

3 things make up the corpus to me. Their symbol is a circle with a triangle in the middle ( the matti confirmed) with represents 3 points.

3 bursa types: Isolator. Denial. Drover.

3 ways to interpret corpus behaviour (there might actually be more of course). Capitalist. Militant. Religious. 

3 job descriptions for what they do (im stretching for this one, as they dip into dfferent aspects of the triangle, but that might make mre sense.)

Merchant/salesman. Darvo.

Engineer/scientist. Alad.

Crewman/Security. The sergeant ( the old nef anyo)

So there will be three different types of corpus. And three colors.

Red: Militant: Security forces

Blue: Capitalist: Merchant marine

Yellow: Religious: Engineering corps

New enemies/abilities:

Corpus wont have health scaling, but all corpus will be able to use health restores (like stimpacks), which they may recieve from somewhere.

Corpus will recieve two healers. A mechanist, who will tend to the robotics fighting you, and a medi bot, that "drags"wounded corpus away (a wounded corpus being one behind cover with extremely low health). It will tak the corpus and spawn a fully healed unit 

Sheild bots, like in star ways, these moa project a proto sheild infront of them selves they can shoot from, and can roll into battle, and deploy infront of a corpus human to protect them.

The goals of the corpus...

Try and find a motivation for why they do what they do....how much money is enough money?

So besides the fact that humanoid corpus are obsessed with not really material possessions, but the amount of credit one has to their names, i cant find the motive behind why they fight the tenno the way they do....unless they get paid for each head they bring, why would a corpus charge up to a tenno just like a grineer? I honestly dont think they would. So corpus humans will stay back, only pressing tenno when they feel they have the advantage, because you are a prize, to be captured. Though the corpus religious faith in the accumulation of money is then actually a good excuse for why they mindlessly chase you around in survival missions instead of just chocking you out.

The sub factions:

This is the part where it gets silly. The corpus board is made up of many mysterious members youll never see outside of alad v's trailer where he captured mag, all except Frohd bek. Maybe its not the case for other people, but for me, iv just always assumed he was the leader. But the picture of the corpus im trying to paint as a whole makes more sense if you just dont think of there being a leader at all. Its like (sillyness) divergent, where the corpus have created this perfect society with class divisions and your career is chosen for you. The whole machine just works as long as everyone fits in their peg slots

As per my idea, nearly all corpus would be the merchant marine, with a small prcentage being apart of the Engineering corps, and even smaller percentage being militant. And then you see corpus enemy units in missions specifically in those ratios. Ex: moas and crew man are apart of the regular merchant marine, nullifiers and scrambus are apart of the engineering corps, and techs are militant.

And the tattoos. I think it can be reasonably assumed the tattoos come from the indoctrination ceremony. I think it would be cool to learn more about them, although thats not a pressing matter.

Well, and also, when this first started, i was thinking of tying the corpus sub to specific bursa, but it became something else.

Red:drover.

Blue: isolator.

Yellor: denial.

I need to actually write about them, its all an unfinished idea far from where it was supposed to start.

And then lets get onto the corpus, and how old they are. I imagine every crewman is at least 50 years young

Think of every wall street stereotype you've ever heard, imagine a bunch of old people who are still considered young because there are even older people, like the scientists in futurama.

4dd3823112bffb5b277b1257e0dc5de3.jpg

And finally, to top off the whole thing: synths.

The corpus would benefit from having them. 

Also an opportunity was missed on halloween, with "krampus" and corpus ( i was not expecting the same infested halloween mission), but maybe it can be a thing on christmas...

Thanks to all who read, still working on it

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO
Edited

6 hours ago, Rounpositron said:

That guy creeps me. Hopefully he won't get buffs anytime soon, it's bad enough that he's hunting me with his Acolytes.

Well, if he gets proto sheilds, we shoud too....its kind of how i picture sheild gating could be implemented...

That aside, what do you think of the rest of the post?

On 02/11/2016 at 9:13 AM, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

What do the corpus do with most of their time, when they are supposebly hundreds of years old? What is an indoctrination temple? 

This. Would be so, so cool to see - something like a multi-tiered cross between a monastery and Skynet's Cheyenne mountain fortress. ?

im against changing their shield or protoshields. get to around level 50 in say, a survival, and the energy drain, hud disruption and power nullification from the units coming in is downright scary. a lot of our arsenal is negated by shields but ur thankful for the toxin bypassing it, slash too.

the 2 enemies types that 'heal' or drag away fellow corpus wouldnt really work more due to how fast paced combat is. if this was a cover shooter i could see that working but currently no.

otherwise as far as the whole using proxies deal is for corpus i believe robotic enemies should far outweigh the human corpus

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016 at 3:39 AM, (PS4)redman74 said:

im against changing their shield or protoshields. get to around level 50 in say, a survival, and the energy drain, hud disruption and power nullification from the units coming in is downright scary. a lot of our arsenal is negated by shields but ur thankful for the toxin bypassing it, slash too.

the 2 enemies types that 'heal' or drag away fellow corpus wouldnt really work more due to how fast paced combat is. if this was a cover shooter i could see that working but currently no.

otherwise as far as the whole using proxies deal is for corpus i believe robotic enemies should far outweigh the human corpus

Didnt see this reply....

I hate energy drain, hud disruption, and power nullification. 

Sheilding and power denial should be seperate, nullifiers should not do both. And since we have scrambus, they should just be sheilds. Proto sheilds wont be everywhere either.