The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Phorid Rework [with art concept]

Cyborg-Rox

Phorid is one of the few unreworked Bosses left in the game, and being the last Infested Boss and not tied to a planet, I thought about doing something interesting with it. I originally thought about the Juggernaut Behemoth replacing Phorid, but there's potential for something much more unique here.

Starting off, the new Phorid will be split into two variants. A Grineer version, and a Corpus version. Both are generally the same, with some altered attacks. Which one you encounter depends on what faction controls the planet that is being attacked by an Infestation Outbreak.
The idea is that since Phorid can pop up anywhere, they're not really a character, but a massive infested that is created in each Infestation Outbreak. Thus, it makes sense for it to have varying appearances.

Now, I've only finished the Grineer version, so this concept is still WIP. More info at the bottom.

KUxVYqv.png

Background: When Infestation Outbreaks occur on Grineer mining facilities, the Grineer soldiers face them with courage, despite being easily outswarmed. 
The miners are to be evacuated, but sometimes, some brave miners stay back and assist their soldiers using their giant mining machines. And sometimes... the pilot of a mining machine turns infested. And since the infested pilot is strapped to their seat, it has no way to get out. So the infestation slowly spreads, and grows, and deforms the entire mining machine into a gigantic quadrupedal monstrosity!

Design: I've kept a lot of the old Phorid's design in mind. Colours, general shape, features and such. It's still a screaming charger at its core. 
The biggest difference is the dangling mining tools, which kinda resembles the Grineer head on regular Chargers. This thing serves a very important purpose though...

Boss fight: During the fight, Phorid's main new toy is its dangling mining tools, which it uses as a wrecking ball to absolutely crush anything it swings at.
The arena needs to be a large open space with only destroyable structures.
Phorid's fight will be split into stages, though some can be skipped. It's practically just two stages the fight shifts to several times.

The fight starts with Phorid charging up its massive scream while being invulnerable. The scream deals more damage the closer players are, and can kill if too close. Therefore players need to quickly distance themselves from Phorid before the scream. Afterwards, Phorid's 2 weak spots become vulnerable, as it starts furiously charging into players one after another, dragging its big mining tools along the floor and destroying any structures in its path.

The charge is very fast, outspeeding even bulletjumps, and never stops until the stage is over, so players need to quickly dodge sideways when Phorid is about to charge over them. If players ever bulletjump close to Phorid's face, it will reach out and bite them with its mouth. If some particular players think they're being smart by flying up in the air with a specific Warframe, they will be bombarded with poison quills from Phorid's tendrils.
To get to the second stage, players need to either damage 40% of the infested tissue holding the mining tools, or damage 25% of Phorid's original host, all the while infested units are spawning throughout the arena to distract you.

fs2GS55.png

When enough damage is dealt, Phorid stops charging, and infested units stop spawning. Phorid will now start swinging its big mining tools into close players, and shoot poison quills on any players too far away. Phorid will swing in several directions, like a sweeping upwards, hammering downwards, and even full 360 sideways, all of which are telegraphed a few seconds before. In this stage, players need to again damage 40% of the infested tissue, or 25% of Phorid's host. When enough damage is dealt, the first stage repeats. 

Phorid builds up its scream, and then starts continuously charging again. 25% damage to the host, 40% damage to the tissue. From this point on, Phorid will start using its poison quills regularly in both stages. If only the tissue holding the mining tools has been damaged so far, it will only have 20% health left, so it can be destroyed halfway through this stage, ending it early.

If the infested tissue holding the mining tools is destroyed, the mining tools will be detached from Phorid, it can never charge again for the rest of the fight, and its health goes down to 50% (unless already lower). With the mining tools gone, Phorid needs to use its weaker leg attacks. Feeling exposed by this, Phorid actually starts off this stage letting out a scream, summoning infested units to aid in attacking you.
If Phorid still has its mining tools in this stage, it will repeat like normal, apart from the aforementioned poison quills. 25% damage to the host, or 40% damage to the tissue.

If Phorid is still alive and the mining tools still aren't destroyed, Phorid will repeat the first stage yet again. From this point on, Phorid will start letting out smaller, shorter screams occasionally in both stages. This is the last possible repeat of the first stage, as Phorid can not possibly survive the next repeated second stage.

So this is how the fight goes. It can end as early as stage 4 and as late as a double stage 6 depending on what you damage and in what order. 
Also note that you can partially damage something in a stage while fully damaging the other.

I've only finished my concept of the Grineer Phorid so far, but I've worked long and hard on it so it's difficult finding motivation to practically double that work.
I had the outlines completed for months, but I got so burnt out from drawing after my art contest entry, so I only recently finished it up completely, just so I can post this half-finished fan concept. I don't know when I'll get around to drawing the Corpus Phorid, or if I'll ever bother. Can't even come up with any interesting ideas for it on the same scale as the Grineer Phorid. But I'll see how the response goes.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Edited by Cyborg-Rox
Grammar tweaks